Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

really stupid question about finding someone who can marry us

Wikiposts

really stupid question about finding someone who can marry us

Old May 6th 2002, 10:40 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

Default really stupid question about finding someone who can marry us

I live in a small town in Wisconsin and we can get married at the courthouse, but I
was hoping to at least get married outside or in a private home.. We don't want
anything big, and of course we'll be rushed (90 days!).. so how do I go about finding
someone who can marry us? I don't even know what those people are called LOL! I
searched the web for "marriage services" in Wisconsin.. I get alot of stuff about Las
Vegas blah blah.. This is an embarrassing question but I am hoping to find someone
besides the family court commissioner in our county.

Jeff

Old May 6th 2002, 11:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: really stupid question about finding someone who can marry us

If you want a religious ceremony called your church and see if the minister or priest will perform the ceremony for you outside of the confines of the institution. If you want a civil ceremony, call your town hall and ask about justice of the peaces or judges. For a small fee they will be happy to do it for you. Our ceremony was down by a Judge at no cost other than an envelope with a thank you $50 in it. Also you can look up non-demonational ministers who are authorized to perform wedding ceremonies in the yellow pages or online.

Rete
Old May 6th 2002, 11:10 am
Cmagill

Phone the local office where you will get your licence. they will have a list of
people who can perform this service. Worked for us.

Jill "Jeffrey Scharpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I live in a small town in Wisconsin and we can get married at the courthouse, but I
    > was hoping to at least get married outside or in a
private
    > home.. We don't want anything big, and of course we'll be rushed (90 days!).. so
    > how do I go about finding someone who can marry us? I don't
even
    > know what those people are called LOL! I searched the web for "marriage services"
    > in Wisconsin.. I get alot of stuff about Las Vegas blah blah.. This is an
    > embarrassing question but I
am
    > hoping to find someone besides the family court commissioner in our
county.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    >

TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Old May 6th 2002, 2:10 pm
Mrs_blackross

the other poster's ideas about asking the local church or asking at the courthouse
for a list of officials are good ideas. here are a couple websites I also found
online for you to check out: http://www.weddingofficiants.net/
http://www.weddingofficiants.com/index.htm

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

Old May 6th 2002, 3:10 pm
Shelley

This is what Ken and I did - we live in Central Wisconsin, but my family is all in
Milwaukee, and I wanted to have a wedding in a chapel and this way everyone was
able come. We were married in St. Ann's Community Church in West Allis - it is a
non-denominational church and for a $225 donation (this was in 1999) they provide a
wonderful ceremony with music (you get to choose) and flowers on the alter. My
brother found this church when he wanted his children baptized, but did not want to
choose one particular religion. You do not have to be a member of church or
anything like that. They also have another St. Ann's Community Church in Hartland.
You can also check with your county clerk for a list of registered Justice of Peace
in your area. You can email me for address and phone nos. if you would like. Take
Care. Shelley

"Jeffrey Scharpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I live in a small town in Wisconsin and we can get married at the courthouse, but I
    > was hoping to at least get married outside or in a
private
    > home.. We don't want anything big, and of course we'll be rushed (90 days!).. so
    > how do I go about finding someone who can marry us? I don't
even
    > know what those people are called LOL! I searched the web for "marriage services"
    > in Wisconsin.. I get alot of stuff about Las Vegas blah blah.. This is an
    > embarrassing question but I
am
    > hoping to find someone besides the family court commissioner in our
county.
    >
    > Jeff

Old May 6th 2002, 4:10 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

Thanks alot everyone! Man! I thought getting past the K-1 interview was going to be
the hardest part!! )

Yes Shelley I will send you an email. I am in West Bend.. about 30 miles north of
Milwaukee..

cheesehead

Jeff

Old May 6th 2002, 5:10 pm
Denis Barlow

You should have seen us!

Cathy had checked in advance that once we received our Marriage License that there
would be someone there to perform the ceremony.

We arrived, got the license and when we asked about the ceremony we were told "Oh, we
don't do that any more, you'll have to go to the courthouse"! The courthouse was only
two blocks away so it wasn't too bad but when we got there we were told that they
didn't carry out any wedding ceremonies until court proceedings had finished for the
day at 4:30 p.m.! By this time it was noon and we were hungry so Cathy and I and our
two witnesses headed for Macayo's restaurant for some lunch. After we were seated the
waitress asked us if there was anything we wanted and Debra, one of our witnesses
said "Yes, a telephone book please"

Debra rang around on her cellphone for ages and eventually got a name from the
Wedding Mall in Phoenix. we phoned him and at first he seemed unwilling but
eventually we made an appointment to meet him at his house at 2 p.m.

When we got there he was a really nice guy, a retired Bishop and he explained his
reluctance being due to having been asked so many times to officiate at what appeared
to be marriages of convenience. When he saw the 4 of us he said immediately that he
could tell it wasn't the case with us and we were married in his front room, it was a
lovely ceremony and the uniqueness of it added to the day.

Denis

"Jeffrey Scharpf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thanks alot everyone! Man! I thought getting past the K-1 interview was going to be
    > the hardest part!! )
    >
    > Yes Shelley I will send you an email. I am in West Bend.. about 30 miles north of
    > Milwaukee..
    >
    > cheesehead
    >
    > Jeff