Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it really necessary for an attourney for K1 and 3 visa??

Wikiposts

Is it really necessary for an attourney for K1 and 3 visa??

Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it really necessary for an attourney for K1 and 3 visa??

Originally Posted by Tracym
If you get a consultation from some of the above, you will be out £350 or more just for the consult.

By contrast, a consult I had in the US was $100.

A US based lawyer might be able to do it by mail, email, and phone - in which case I suspect a fee of more like $1500 might apply.

That said, I have heard nothing but good things about Kherala Hodkinson in London, at the link above.
IMO, if you're going the lawyer route you need to figure out what is important to you. If its cost, US-based lawyers will win out everytime, given the relative weakness of the $ v the £.

While weighing up UK-based v. US-based fees is definitely something to consider, I wouldn't go around price quoting a bunch of lawyers to see who is cheapest. IMO, the cheapest advice is not always best advice.

If your priority is having someone there whom you can call with questions, meet with, etc . . . you may want to seek UK-based advice. You may find that time difference between you and a US-based lawyer is cumbersome in regards to getting ?s answered quickly. You may also want the opportunity to meet with a lawyer before your interview.

These are just my thoughts . . . I am sure everyone has their own on this topic.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
IMO, if you're going the lawyer route you need to figure out what is important to you. If its cost, US-based lawyers will win out everytime, given the relative weakness of the $ v the £.

While weighing up UK-based v. US-based fees is definitely something to consider, I wouldn't go around price quoting a bunch of lawyers to see who is cheapest. IMO, the cheapest advice is not always best advice.

If your priority is having someone there whom you can call with questions, meet with, etc . . . you may want to seek UK-based advice. You may find that time difference between you and a US-based lawyer is cumbersome in regards to getting ?s answered quickly. You may also want the opportunity to meet with a lawyer before your interview.

These are just my thoughts . . . I am sure everyone has their own on this topic.
Myself, if it was complicated, I'd want someone the embassy was familiar with - I'd personally try Kherala.

For a simple case, where they just needed to do the paperwork - I'd get a US based attorney.

Time difference, calling from UK to US really isn't a problem - when the lawyer gets to the office at 9 a.m - 5 p.m., it's 3 p.m. - 11 p.m. in the UK - so the person would have all afternoon and evening to call the attorney.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself, if it was complicated, I'd want someone the embassy was familiar with - I'd personally try Kherala.

For a simple case, where they just needed to do the paperwork - I'd get a US based attorney.
Sound advice, I think. Naturally, London-based lawyers will be more familiar with the US Embassy - London's procedures.

Time difference, calling from UK to US really isn't a problem - when the lawyer gets to the office at 9 a.m - 5 p.m., it's 3 p.m. - 11 p.m. in the UK - so the person would have all afternoon and evening to call the attorney.
Being a self-centered Californian, I was thinking west coast time differences
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
Sound advice, I think. Naturally, London-based lawyers will be more familiar with the US Embassy - London's procedures.

Being a self-centered Californian, I was thinking west coast time differences
LOL oh yes, duh me - I'm thinking central time. It should have occurred to me that the US has more than one time zone.

Dang, it's too late to use lack of coffee as an excuse...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

What can I say, everyone has been so helpful and I have loads to get my teeth into.....so a massive, massive thank you

We have decided in the first instance to make ourselves experts on the K1 application process, the procedures and the law. This will allow us to make an informed choice about the next step. We just want to make sure an effective application is made. There are no skeletons for either of us so it should be relatively straightforward......

The official at the poe permitting I am back in the USA in October so then we will be deciding on our timescale.

I probably came across as a little confused to begin with because we had also looked into other visa types. I am a self employed photographer and would eventually like to re-locate my business to the USA. However before I left last week he proposed to me and of course that changed everything..

Just as a footnote it was the advice from one lawyer that made me think we had to apply for a K1 then after marriage that had to become a K3 !! that is certainly one firm we won't be considering.

Anyway thanks once again to everyone who has contributed, I look forward to an extended dialogue as our journey continues.
best wishes to you all
Jane
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane1961
We have decided in the first instance to make ourselves experts on the K1 application process, the procedures and the law. This will allow us to make an informed choice about the next step. We just want to make sure an effective application is made. There are no skeletons for either of us so it should be relatively straightforward.....
Once you have decided to go with the K-1 route, the next step is for the USC to file form I-129F. You can find the form at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, form I-129F. Take a look at it so you'll know what you need to bring with you from the UK when you visit in October. Or, if you want to get a head start, you don't even have to wait until October...you can send him what he needs and he can file the I-129F now, because you guys have met in person within the past 2 years already.

Be aware that if you wait and file in October, might not be here by June 2009, might be a few months after that.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

Thanks Noorah. My daughter is 16 in June and will be completing her GCSE's. If she is of an allowed by US law I would like her to be a witness / give me away. So really I am looking at a time within the 90 day period after that.

So hopefully the timescales are workable at the moment
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane1961
Thanks Noorah. My daughter is 16 in June and will be completing her GCSE's. If she is of an allowed by US law I would like her to be a witness / give me away. So really I am looking at a time within the 90 day period after that.

So hopefully the timescales are workable at the moment
If he files the I-129F in October, it's possible you could get your K-1 (and K-2 for your daughter) sometime by June - August 2009, if everything goes smoothly. Then you must get married within 90 days of your arrival in the USA. Be aware that nothing is guaranteed, and you can't count on the timing for sure. Don't make any wedding plans that can't be changed, and don't pay any money for the wedding that can't be refunded.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

I certainly won't be doing that, the wedding will only be arranged after we know with certainty about the visa, neither of us are really bothered about anything grand or ostentatious.

As I said I'm a photographer, weddings are one strand of my business and so I see far too much of that on a week to week basis........