Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Ready to leave... anything I've forgotten?

Wikiposts

Ready to leave... anything I've forgotten?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:27 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ready to leave... anything I've forgotten?

We're all packed and ready to go (CR1 & CR2's) - is there anything i've forgotten?

Passports and Visas......... In hand luggage
MBE's ........... In hand luggage
Xray........... In hand luggage
Tickets.............Duh - in hand luggage
US check book & Bank cards......... Hand luggage

All my file and bits are in my checked baggage (12 bags!! arrrghh!!)

I don't have any bills or anything to cancel because I've been staying at my mums, I've kept my UK bank accounts and credit cards open with standing orders to pay the credit cards etc.

I'm not likely to be asked for anything else when they take me to secondary am I? I'm panicking now in case they ask to see my custody papers etc when I arrive.. but then logic tells me the kids wouldnt have been given the visa if they wernt happy with the custody papers, and they should be in the MBE.....

Ack.... losing my mind now!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:19 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready to leave... anything I've forgotten?

Ohhh how exciting!!!!!!sorry can't help with the check list - i just came out on vacation - so apart from my travel ticket, passport, reading for the plane and duty free I was sans documents!

I wish you and yours all the good luck in the world girl - have a good flight!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:38 am
Flaky Red-headed Goodness

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clarissageo
We're all packed and ready to go (CR1 & CR2's) - is there anything i've forgotten?

Passports and Visas......... In hand luggage
MBE's ........... In hand luggage
Xray........... In hand luggage
Tickets.............Duh - in hand luggage
US check book & Bank cards......... Hand luggage

All my file and bits are in my checked baggage (12 bags!! arrrghh!!)

I don't have any bills or anything to cancel because I've been staying at my mums, I've kept my UK bank accounts and credit cards open with standing orders to pay the credit cards etc.

I'm not likely to be asked for anything else when they take me to secondary am I? I'm panicking now in case they ask to see my custody papers etc when I arrive.. but then logic tells me the kids wouldnt have been given the visa if they wernt happy with the custody papers, and they should be in the MBE.....

Ack.... losing my mind now!
What is this 'secondary' thing of which you speak? I have NO CLUE what to expect at immigration - is this something I need to be prepared for? And as far as custody papers go, I don't have any for my girls (but our divorce was incredibly straightforward with absolutely no question that I would have custody) - when they issued our visas I was asked if XH knew that Iwas taking the girls out of the country so I'm also assuming that their issuance of the visas is confirmation enough. Argh!

Anyway, SAFE FLIGHTS!!!! Have a great journey, a swift passage through immigration and I'll be 24 hours behind you x
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be asked for anything but your brown envelope and passport at secondary. They do not want your xrays and you can give them to your new physician when you get one in the US for comparison purposes.

Safe flight!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon
What is this 'secondary' thing of which you speak?
The initial POE officer takes your sealed mysterious brown envelope, then he sends you over to another room called "secondary", there they will double check everything is in order and send you to customs.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What is this 'secondary' thing of which you speak? I have NO CLUE what to expect at immigration - is this something I need to be prepared for? And as far as custody papers go, I don't have any for my girls (but our divorce was incredibly straightforward with absolutely no question that I would have custody) - when they issued our visas I was asked if XH knew that Iwas taking the girls out of the country so I'm also assuming that their issuance of the visas is confirmation enough. Argh!

Anyway, SAFE FLIGHTS!!!! Have a great journey, a swift passage through immigration and I'll be 24 hours behind you x
Secondary is when you are processed after you get off the plane in the US. You will be asked to go to secondary to have your paperwork processed. You probably won't be asked for a letter from your ex.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

What is this 'secondary' thing of which you speak?
The first line of inspectors in the Immigration/Customs hall are what is called "Primary Inspection". They take an average of 60 seconds to determine "admit" or refer to "secondary" which is in an adjacent room [or rooms] next to the primary hall. These are the more complicated cases -- and since a file has to be set for the immigrant -- immigrants go through secondary -- this is usually painless unless something in the computer pops up. It is usually particularly painless for European immigrants.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:05 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys............ I certainly wouldnt have got this far without BE!

I'll be sure to report back on Monday how fast / slow it was getting in.....

Now just for that horrible flight
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:22 am

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The initial POE officer takes your sealed mysterious brown envelope, then he sends you over to another room called "secondary", there they will double check everything is in order and send you to customs.

Rene
I don't have a sealed mysterious brown envelope. I'm assuming this is because I'm on a temporary visa and all that.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - although I'll probably be mid-air by the time you get online again!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:25 am
Dizzy Blonde

I don't have a sealed mysterious brown envelope. I'm assuming this is because I'm on a temporary visa and all that.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - although I'll probably be mid-air by the time you get online again!
Thats probably it - ours is an immigrant visa, so we needed bio fathers permission, MBE blah blah blah.....

I've packed my simply sleep and my valium so I shall pop a couple of those after the first meal has been served and hopefully pass out until we are over land again! (Wall-E is the 3rd movie and I want to see that one!)
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:29 am

Thats probably it - ours is an immigrant visa, so we needed bio fathers permission, MBE blah blah blah.....

I've packed my simply sleep and my valium so I shall pop a couple of those after the first meal has been served and hopefully pass out until we are over land again! (Wall-E is the 3rd movie and I want to see that one!)
Who are you flying with? We're with BMI - Big Bit *thinks* she's going to watch Hellboy 2 (over my dead body ), Lil' Bit is utterly unimpressed with the choice of films. I'm probably going to have brain freeze with The House Bunny. We have to pay for Wall-E and Mamma Mia but have already seen them anyway - if you haven't seen Wall-E you're in for a treat, it's a great film. Incidentally, if you get chance, definitely trot along to see Inkheart in the new year - we saw it tonight and it's fabulous - Helen Mirren riding a unicorn with hair a-flying is a sight not to be easily forgotten

And I'm rambling...
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:36 am
Dizzy Blonde

We're with Delta, they are the only ones that fly direct to CVG from the UK, we looked at all the other airlines but the thought of making things harder than they already were with 3 kids, an old lady and 12 bags was enough to send me into meltdown!

We've flown with Delta every time and so far they have done no wrong at all.... The only fault I can find with them is that there are no seat back TV's or AVOD, the TV screens are overhead in the aisle so you have to watch what they tell you to.

The seats are comfy (ish for a 6'4 hubby) the food is better than I've had on other airlines - they do a wicked pizza before you come into land, and on the night flights lovely warm bagels with cream cheese on the morning food service. The staff, although not as trolley dolly-ish as with other airlines, are amazingly efficient, very very friendly, are wonderful with the kids, which is great for me as a nervous flyer - in fact on the flight over here in september, they took the kids up to the cockpit to meet the pilot so DH could get me settled and calm in my seat. The flights have always been on time, if not slightly early, and we've always made good time in the flight and have never landed late.

You watch......... this time they'll be crap!!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ooh, you're coming this weekend too? What an influx!
(yes, you do not get a Mysterious Brown Envelope because you're F-1 temporary)

Happy travels to you and your mini-gang too, Sally. I've been following your story with glee as well.. wish you every success.

And you Miss C, you will probably overwhelm them all at Secondary and they'll be forced to simply submit to the Mob (driven by the 6'4" DH.. my gods!) and welcome you all with good cheer.

Welcome to America time!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:06 pm

We're with Delta, they are the only ones that fly direct to CVG from the UK, we looked at all the other airlines but the thought of making things harder than they already were with 3 kids, an old lady and 12 bags was enough to send me into meltdown!

We've flown with Delta every time and so far they have done no wrong at all.... The only fault I can find with them is that there are no seat back TV's or AVOD, the TV screens are overhead in the aisle so you have to watch what they tell you to.

The seats are comfy (ish for a 6'4 hubby) the food is better than I've had on other airlines - they do a wicked pizza before you come into land, and on the night flights lovely warm bagels with cream cheese on the morning food service. The staff, although not as trolley dolly-ish as with other airlines, are amazingly efficient, very very friendly, are wonderful with the kids, which is great for me as a nervous flyer - in fact on the flight over here in september, they took the kids up to the cockpit to meet the pilot so DH could get me settled and calm in my seat. The flights have always been on time, if not slightly early, and we've always made good time in the flight and have never landed late.

You watch......... this time they'll be crap!!
We flew back into Manchester with Delta over the summer and found them pretty efficient. Outbound, I've flown with just about everyone (after two years of ocean-hopping ) but the last two times have been with BMI and loved them - free magazines and bottled water before you board, plenty of lovely food and real cutlery!

Wish I'd known you were a nervous flyer - I'm a clinical hypnotherapist by profession, it's something I resolve for clients all the time. Just focus on your breathing, remember that it's the out-breath that relaxes you, not the in-breath, so try to slow down the out-breath as much as you can (blow rather than sigh the air out, if that makes sense). Lots of luck with the flight.

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, you're coming this weekend too? What an influx!
(yes, you do not get a Mysterious Brown Envelope because you're F-1 temporary)

Happy travels to you and your mini-gang too, Sally. I've been following your story with glee as well.. wish you every success.

And you Miss C, you will probably overwhelm them all at Secondary and they'll be forced to simply submit to the Mob (driven by the 6'4" DH.. my gods!) and welcome you all with good cheer.

Welcome to America time!
Thanks for the well-wishes I've just finished the bulk packing, all that's to be packed now is the stuff that's presently in the washing machine and that will be worn over the weekend. I *think* I'll squash it all in 5 cases, 1 holdall and hand baggage

In the famous words of the OH and her brother 'The British are coming, the British are coming!' - never mind the invasion, it's time for the occupation A dizzy blonde and a flaky red-head? Poor America...
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:35 pm
Dizzy Blonde

Wish I'd known you were a nervous flyer - I'm a clinical hypnotherapist by profession, it's something I resolve for clients all the time. Just focus on your breathing, remember that it's the out-breath that relaxes you, not the in-breath, so try to slow down the out-breath as much as you can (blow rather than sigh the air out, if that makes sense). Lots of luck with the flight.
Oh I could have done with a session with you!!

I've been on two Fear of Flying courses and they've helped, but I still panic.... DH is a complete rock for me and when theres turbulence he bounces around like a prat to take my mind off it! I normally take a valium about 20 minutes before hand and then a simply sleep a couple of hours in... when there is any turbulence I try and do some of the breathing excersizes I've learnt in the past and just repeat to myself in my head 'uncomfortable, not dangerous' and that helps quite a bit - I normally find tuning into the classical music channel helps as well! I'm sure we're a sight to behold on that plane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.