Re:overstayed

Old Jun 17th 2002, 5:07 pm
Xavieraero

Default Re:overstayed

What if you overstayed for less than 180 days? I applied for an extension of my I 94
and got an orange letter from the INS asking me to send them more documents before
July 5 2002 . I did not do it because im leaving the US on july 3.When i want to come
back in the US will i get in trouble at the customs?i dont think that is overstaying
though Thanks Xavier

Old Jun 18th 2002, 9:55 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: overstayed

Xavieraero wrote:

> What if you overstayed for less than 180 days? I applied for an extension of my I
    > 94 and got an orange letter from the INS asking me to send them more documents
    > before July 5 2002. I did not do it because im leaving the US on july 3. When i
    > want to come back in the US will i get in trouble at the customs? i dont think
    > that is overstaying though

You could theoretically get into trouble because of 222g, visa cancellation, which is
triggered by only one day of violation of status, as opposed to 180 days for 214a9B,
the 3 and 10 year bars.

However, you really should be O.K. according to the law. I am assuming that your
extension application was nonfrivolous and timely filed, and that you did not work
unauthorized. Read the following carefully: http://shusterman.com/222g-ins.html.