Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick Questions related to AOS Filing

Wikiposts

Quick Questions related to AOS Filing

Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default Quick Questions related to AOS Filing

Hi All,

So I feel sure someone else has asked these questions, and forgive me if I have started a new thread when I didn't need to, but I had a few things I wanted to clear up before I fill the forms in properly.

Am I able to use my new married name on the forms. I am planning on taking my husbands surname, but obviously it wont match that on my passport. I do plan to get that changed eventually (I assume this is relatively simple to do through the British consulate but will need to wait until I have filed so I have some ID while I am waiting for my green card interview). So will it be an issue that it is filed in my new married name not my name as per my passport?

Secondly, we have been waiting a long time for our marriage certificate to be returned and we are a bit concerned, especially as I need it to not only file, but to be put on my husbands health insurance to obtain the HPV vaccine. My question was related to this, and am I right in thinking that form I-693 will need to be completed and then signed by a civil surgeon to be sent with the AOS paperwork. I remember someone posted a link a while ago to finding civil surgeons in your area, and I found a long list (In Atlanta), is it just a case of calling up and asking them to sign it off, or will I need to have my vaccination done by the civil surgeon?

Thanks for any help you all can offer me. Filling in form after form is mind numbing, the only thing keeping me entertained is watching Anchorman whilst I do it!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Questions related to AOS Filing

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
Hi All,

So I feel sure someone else has asked these questions, and forgive me if I have started a new thread when I didn't need to, but I had a few things I wanted to clear up before I fill the forms in properly.

Am I able to use my new married name on the forms. I am planning on taking my husbands surname, but obviously it wont match that on my passport. I do plan to get that changed eventually (I assume this is relatively simple to do through the British consulate but will need to wait until I have filed so I have some ID while I am waiting for my green card interview). So will it be an issue that it is filed in my new married name not my name as per my passport?

Secondly, we have been waiting a long time for our marriage certificate to be returned and we are a bit concerned, especially as I need it to not only file, but to be put on my husbands health insurance to obtain the HPV vaccine. My question was related to this, and am I right in thinking that form I-693 will need to be completed and then signed by a civil surgeon to be sent with the AOS paperwork. I remember someone posted a link a while ago to finding civil surgeons in your area, and I found a long list (In Atlanta), is it just a case of calling up and asking them to sign it off, or will I need to have my vaccination done by the civil surgeon?

Thanks for any help you all can offer me. Filling in form after form is mind numbing, the only thing keeping me entertained is watching Anchorman whilst I do it!
You don't need to get the HPV vaccine any more - they did away with that requirement in December.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=hpv
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

wow, that is fantastic news. so even tho my medical and what not was before december, as I am not filing to have permanent residency until now I do not need it?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can complete the AOS forms in your married name. That way, your green card will be issued in your married name. If you need to travel internationally before you get a new passport, though, make sure your airline tickets match your passport name, not your green card name, and carry a copy of your marriage certificate to explain the discrepancy.

Secondly, we have been waiting a long time for our marriage certificate to be returned and we are a bit concerned, especially as I need it to not only file...
How long have you been waiting? Contact the country registrar's office to see why you haven't received a certified copy yet.

am I right in thinking that form I-693 will need to be completed and then signed by a civil surgeon to be sent with the AOS paperwork.
Yes.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your fast reply. It is very much appreciated.

I was pleased to hear the HPV is no longer a requirement as per the previous post to yours Rene, but if I had my medical completed before this December do I still need to do it, is it definate that I won't need it. If not its no worry I ca have it done, I will just be waiting a bit longer to file.

I have some questions on filling in the actual form, but as was suggested to me in one f my other threads Ill post it as new thread.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was pleased to hear the HPV is no longer a requirement as per the previous post to yours Rene, but if I had my medical completed before this December do I still need to do it, is it definate that I won't need it. If not its no worry I ca have it done, I will just be waiting a bit longer to file.
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to this one...hopefully someone else can come along and confirm.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was pleased to hear the HPV is no longer a requirement as per the previous post to yours Rene, but if I had my medical completed before this December do I still need to do it, is it definate that I won't need it.
My gut feeling is that you don't need it. As part of the AOS paperwork you had a medical, but since the HPV was dropped from the medical that requirement no longer exists for AOS. It's irrelevant that you had the medical prior to the change - the requirement no longer exists.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My gut feeling is that you don't need it. As part of the AOS paperwork you had a medical, but since the HPV was dropped from the medical that requirement no longer exists for AOS. It's irrelevant that you had the medical prior to the change - the requirement no longer exists.

Ian
I have to agree with this. Your AOS case has to meet the requirements on the date it's filed, not what requirements were in place before. As I recall, with K-1s who had not completed a vaccine series, the rule was that the AOS could not be approved until it was completed.
That vaccine series is no longer a requirement, therefore it's a non-issue to the AOS.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you dont need the HPV vaccine any longer, I would still get the I-693 transcribe done and included with your AOS package.

Have a good read of the AOS wiki it has anwsers to some of your questions

AOS from K1 helpguide

Last edited by PepsiChic; Jan 8th 2010 at 6:41 pm.