Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

quick question on NVC and interview stage

Wikiposts

quick question on NVC and interview stage

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:00 am
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of
Default quick question on NVC and interview stage

hello, my hubby is getting his I-864ez together, so he can send it
NVC have not asked for it, but it says AOS paid online, and he printed the bar code cover sheet, so i think there ready for it now.

once it says IV paid, I can send the DS-230 with my stuff, and bar code cover sheet.

My question is, do they at any point need my husbands original birth cert or anything like that? he is the USC, and i couldnt see anywhere that he needs it with the I-864ez stuff, I was just sure i read somewhere that when i get to NVC or interview I will need his birth cert and/or copy of passport page?

if not thats great, we are almost done with NVC, next stop interview I hope!

Thanks

Oh I am UKC he is USC, applying for CR-1
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question on NVC and interview stage

Originally Posted by gnasher12
My question is, do they at any point need my husbands original birth cert or anything like that? he is the USC, and i couldnt see anywhere that he needs it with the I-864ez stuff, ...
He needs to include proof that he's a USC along with the I-864EZ package. Whether that's a photocopy of his birth certificate or a photocopy of his passport ID page, up to him. Not the originals, though...a photocopy goes with the affidavit of support.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He needs to include proof that he's a USC along with the I-864EZ package. Whether that's a photocopy of his birth certificate or a photocopy of his passport ID page, up to him. Not the originals, though...a photocopy goes with the affidavit of support.

Rene
+1, without looking at the I-864EZ. I can't imagine that that piece of instruction would be different from the I-864 though.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:27 am
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
+1, without looking at the I-864EZ. I can't imagine that that piece of instruction would be different from the I-864 though.
thats what i thought, but i couldnt see anywhere on the form instructions where it said you need to include that, it just says W2's., but i will tell him.

thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i thought, but i couldnt see anywhere on the form instructions where it said you need to include that, it just says W2's., but i will tell him.

thanks
You're gonna make me look, aren't you?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:40 am
Is Female

You're gonna make me look, aren't you?
hahahaha i just assumed you had already! what you waiting for, maybe i need glasses

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

thats the link, i hope it works?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked, and it doesn't say to include proof of USC or US PR status in the I-864EZ instructions.

But since it's just one page, better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:52 am

Well well, looks like things changed and we didn't notice, Rene!

The I-864EZ does not specifically require proof of US citizenship or PR status.
There is a declaration question, and the form is signed 'under oath' (whatever the correct term is for this situation).
The form is only available to be used in narrow circumstances, the first being "You are the person who filed or is filing the Form I-130,
Petition for Alien Relative, for a relative being sponsored". Since proof of US citizenship or PR status would be required to get this far (I-130 approval), apparently that proof carries over and is sufficient (finally, no Department of Redundancy Extras?)

Looking over to the detailed I-864 instructions, guess what? No separate proof of citizenship/PR status is requested in that checklist either, EXCEPT "If you are a joint sponsor, substitute sponsor, or the relative of an employment-based immigrant requiring an affidavit of support, proof of your citizenship status, U.S. national status or lawful permanent resident status."

Item 19 on the I-864 now reads:
Proof of U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident status is required for joint and substitute sponsors and for relatives of employment-based immigrants who file this form. Petitioning relatives who have already filed proof of their citizenship or immigration status with Forms I-130, Form I-129F, I-600 and I-600A do not need to submit proof of their status with this form.

Good thing I got up today! Thanks, gnasher, for drawing my attention to this!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:05 am
Is Female

Well well, looks like things changed and we didn't notice, Rene!

The I-864EZ does not specifically require proof of US citizenship or PR status.
There is a declaration question, and the form is signed 'under oath' (whatever the correct term is for this situation).
The form is only available to be used in narrow circumstances, the first being "You are the person who filed or is filing the Form I-130,
Petition for Alien Relative, for a relative being sponsored". Since proof of US citizenship or PR status would be required to get this far (I-130 approval), apparently that proof carries over and is sufficient (finally, no Department of Redundancy Extras?)

Looking over to the detailed I-864 instructions, guess what? No separate proof of citizenship/PR status is requested in that checklist either, EXCEPT "If you are a joint sponsor, substitute sponsor, or the relative of an employment-based immigrant requiring an affidavit of support, proof of your citizenship status, U.S. national status or lawful permanent resident status."

Item 19 on the I-864 now reads:
Proof of U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident status is required for joint and substitute sponsors and for relatives of employment-based immigrants who file this form. Petitioning relatives who have already filed proof of their citizenship or immigration status with Forms I-130, Form I-129F, I-600 and I-600A do not need to submit proof of their status with this form.

Good thing I got up today! Thanks, gnasher, for drawing my attention to this!
wow you mean i did good, finding something you pro's didn't know yet haha, well it doesnt hurt like rene said to include a copy of his passport anyway. thanks for all help!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:15 am

Thanks for the new news!

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:20 am

wow you mean i did good, finding something you pro's didn't know yet haha, well it doesnt hurt like rene said to include a copy of his passport anyway. thanks for all help!
haha.. I got a pay cut (they're charging ME) so I'm not 'pro'.. true it does not hurt, but it is in NO way required or necessary.
This must have changed in the Final Rule and never got on my radar.