Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick question on AOS/EAD/AP

Wikiposts

Quick question on AOS/EAD/AP

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Quick question on AOS/EAD/AP

Hi everyone,

A stupid question probably: do I have to wait until I get married to send off the AOS/EAD/AP paperwork? Or can I do it now, 2 weeks before the wedding? My K1 doesn't run out until September, so I know that part is ok.

I am working on a temp EAD right now which I recieved at JFK, that runs out in September also - is it likely I would get a 1 year EAD before the 90 day one runs out?

Any help is appreciated.

I am going to try and apply for my SSN# today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:34 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quick question on AOS/EAD/AP

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hi everyone,

A stupid question probably: do I have to wait until I get married to send off the AOS/EAD/AP paperwork? Or can I do it now, 2 weeks before the wedding? My K1 doesn't run out until September, so I know that part is ok.

Matt

I would assume u need to wait to file your AOS till after u married, Cos u have to send a notarized copy of the marriage certificate with the application don't ya?

~S~
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:37 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I am working on a temp EAD right now which I recieved at JFK, that runs out in September also - is it likely I would get a 1 year EAD before the 90 day one runs out?

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt,
You must wait until after you're married because your AOS will be based on that marriage. In fact, one of the things you must send in is a copy of your marriage certificate. Take a look at the app. for the list of things you need to send.

As far as how long it takes to get the EAD---we did this a year ago, but Mr. P had his card on the 89th day. I would say it would be unlikely that you'd have the EAD before September, but stranger things have happened.

~SecretGarden
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Any help is appreciated.

Matt
Outside of the very obvious answer to your question which you would know if you read the instruction sheet for the I-485, how are you working without having a social security number?

And no it is not likely to have the one year EAD within two months of filing. Particularly since you aren't yet married and have as yet not filed for it.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Any help is appreciated.

Matt
Hi Matt,

You must wait until after you're married to submit the I-485. You will need to include a copy of the certified marriage certificate along with the application, so unless you can get one of those immedately, you'll even be filing the I-485 up to a few weeks after getting married.

And you can only send in the EAD application along with or after the I-485...and the way it looks lately, it's taking around 2 or 3 months for the EAD approvals. So you will have a gap in your work authorization, I'm sure.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
...how are you working without having a social security number?
Hi Rete,

If it's OK with the employer, one can work w/o the SSN, and then get the earnings back-reported when they do get the SSN.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:51 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

In this case the employer is breaking the law, because Matt has not yet applied for his SS card.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Rete,

If it's OK with the employer, one can work w/o the SSN, and then get the earnings back-reported when they do get the SSN.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

In this case the employer is breaking the law, because Matt has not yet applied for his SS card.

Regards, JEff
Hi JEff,

Really? I was not aware of that, thanks. I always thought it was OK to work without it, until you get it, even if you had not yet applied for it. Sorry for the mis-information.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:56 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Hi JEff,

Really? I was not aware of that, thanks. I always thought it was OK to work without it, until you get it, even if you had not yet applied for it. Sorry for the mis-information.

Rene
Reneeeeee,

I think your point is valid and correct...

when i came over to the US i started working for my employer as sson as i arrived without having yet even applied for my SSN, there was nothing illegal about it. I dunno if OP's situation is different though.
bearing in mind with the length of time it can take to get the SSN (mine took 6 weeks) i would have been sitting of my jack doing nothing, when infact i was brought over here to work.

~S~
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

I believe that if one does not yet have the necessary documentation they have to show that it was applied for, and then they have 90 days to show the documentation itself.

Would like to know Mike Young's opinion, though.

Regards, JEff

Hi JEff,

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Outside of the very obvious answer to your question which you would know if you read the instruction sheet for the I-485, how are you working without having a social security number?

And no it is not likely to have the one year EAD within two months of filing. Particularly since you aren't yet married and have as yet not filed for it.
Hi Rete:

Of course they can file before they get married. Now can the VALIDLY file before then? That is a different question. If they want to put in a bad application which will either be rejected [if they are lucky] or [worse] taken and later denied for premature filing -- that is their problem.

There is nothing preventing them from making a dumb move.