Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick question about change of address during CR1 Removal of Conditions

Quick question about change of address during CR1 Removal of Conditions

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:47 pm
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light
Default Quick question about change of address during CR1 Removal of Conditions

Well I'm a month into my 90 day window and have been holding out sending my I-751 while a few loose ends get tied up. Unfortunately I am also in the midst of a relocation! Does anyone know the best way to approach this? Will there be sufficient time for me to send in the AR-11 change of address form? Should I include the AR-11 in my application? And should I put my new address on the I-751, or the address that USCIS has on file for me (IE, will they match up in their system if my addresses are different).

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:52 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about change of address during CR1 Removal of Conditions

Originally Posted by Reverend
Well I'm a month into my 90 day window and have been holding out sending my I-751 while a few loose ends get tied up. Unfortunately I am also in the midst of a relocation! Does anyone know the best way to approach this? Will there be sufficient time for me to send in the AR-11 change of address form? Should I include the AR-11 in my application? And should I put my new address on the I-751, or the address that USCIS has on file for me (IE, will they match up in their system if my addresses are different).

Thanks!
Personally if the relocation isn't going to take too long and you know that it's a sure thing, I'd put *that* address on the I-751, and then follow up with the AR-11, etc. after you move.

We got my husband's NOA for his I-751 about ten days after we sent it in, so you may want to hold on to the application if your move is imminent.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about change of address during CR1 Removal of Conditions

Originally Posted by Reverend

Thanks!
AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address but it is required by law to report your move.

You can change your mailing address via a new petition (I-751) but it does NOT comply with the rule about reporting your address. They go to/happen in two, unrelated places.

The PR is required to file AR-11, and the Sponsor is required to file I-865. Relevant laws are cited in the links below.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law:
How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?
http://tinyurl.com/ymj833
AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

30 days later
-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©

If you change the address via I-751, you don't *need* to do the follow up phone call etc. But, it gives you something to do.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:04 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

Hi Mo,
Mr. Pink called the misinformation line when we moved a year ago but was told that if he had no pending applications at the time, they weren't interested in discussing the change with him.

We sent the AR-11 in as well as the I-865. (Oh, and I did get an NOA for my I-865). His NOA for the I-751 and biometrics arrived at the new address, probably due to that address being listed on the I-751 I would think.

If the OP is moving soon, I'd list the new address on the app. and file the AR-11, etc. after the move is complete.

~SecretGarden
Happy New Year!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi Mo,
Mr. Pink called the misinformation line when we moved a year ago but was told that if he had no pending applications at the time, they weren't interested in discussing the change with him.
SecretGarden,

I was told the exact same thing. Nice to know that there is at least some level of consistency with the misinformation line.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
SecretGarden,

I was told the exact same thing. Nice to know that there is at least some level of consistency with the misinformation line.
Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi Mo,

We sent the AR-11 in as well as the I-865. (Oh, and I did get an NOA for my I-865). His NOA for the I-751 and biometrics arrived at the new address, probably due to that address being listed on the I-751 I would think.

If the OP is moving soon, I'd list the new address on the app. and file the AR-11, etc. after the move is complete.

~SecretGarden
Happy New Year!
Consistently misinforming?
Actually, my understanding is that filing an AR-11 and an I-865, if applicable, is required for any change of address and the additional step of contacting the 800 number and copying the local office is advised when a petition is pending, so that the address change can be made on any applications or petitions that are on hand.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:08 am
The Missus

Originally Posted by bionomique
Consistently misinforming?
Actually, my understanding is that filing an AR-11 and an I-865, if applicable, is required for any change of address and the additional step of contacting the 800 number and copying the local office is advised when a petition is pending, so that the address change can be made on any applications or petitions that are on hand.
Correct, this is my understanding also. I was simply saying that in our case, with no pending applications, the misinformation line person refused to discuss the move.

~SecretGarden