Wikiposts

Quick question

Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough
Default Quick question

Just a quick question. Going to States next week on a K1 should I apply for a ssn straight away? I seem to remember something about waiting 14 days from entry but this could have been before filing the AoS?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Just a quick question. Going to States next week on a K1 should I apply for a ssn straight away? I seem to remember something about waiting 14 days from entry but this could have been before filing the AoS?
Generally the advice has been to wait 10 days after entry so that you are in "the system". Probably the best way to do it - before 10 days if they try to look you up in the computer, you generally don't show up.

You can file for AOS the next day if you like - as long as you are married by then

Congratulations btw.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait about 10 to 14 days after your arrival to go apply for the SSN. This gives SS time to get your records into their system. If you go in too soon and they don't have your information, they will want to do a manual verification and that takes forever.

They had to do a manual verification on my fiance anyway, since he's Iranian, and it took 10 weeks to get his SSN.

Rene
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

fahad will become famous soon enoughfahad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Wait about 10 to 14 days after your arrival to go apply for the SSN. This gives SS time to get your records into their system. If you go in too soon and they don't have your information, they will want to do a manual verification and that takes forever.

They had to do a manual verification on my fiance anyway, since he's Iranian, and it took 10 weeks to get his SSN.

Rene
I thought that you don't have to apply for SSN if you already checked "yes" in your DS-230 form. Is it true?
Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fahad
I thought that you don't have to apply for SSN if you already checked "yes" in your DS-230 form. Is it true?
Thanks
That's only for those coming on an Immigrant Visa.

The OP is coming on a non-immigrant visa (K-1), and needs to physically apply for the SSN.

Rene
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Apply for your SSN in your first 76 days in the US, or wait for your EAD or Green Card.
K-1s have this special window for applying/getting their SSN.

I think there is a very nice wiki article here at britishexpats.com