Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick query on MMR jab for medical - 3 month wait?

Wikiposts

Quick query on MMR jab for medical - 3 month wait?

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick query on MMR jab for medical - 3 month wait?

Following advice found on this forum, I prudently had my Tdap and MMR jab done yesterday by the NHS instead of in London. The charge? Zero pounds! (shame about the side effects though)

However I was informed the MMR comes in two stages, and I have to wait 3 months for the second jab. Hmm. So what should my next step be, just go ahead and get the official medical? Would I actually have to wait 3 months before I could either leave the UK or could it be completed in the USA? I had just assumed everything could be done in one visit in London..... silly me.

thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice
Default Re: Quick query on MMR jab for medical - 3 month wait?

What are the side effects of the MMR jab?

I'm having mine done on the NHS next week.

Peaksy
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

The side effects won't hit everyone. For me it feels like someone punched me in the arm very hard, and I have a flu-like spaced out feeling with temperature.
I assume it's the MMR behind it all because the nurse warned me to expect a sore arm, but the Tdap could be responsible for the mild flu. Who knows

The actual jabs were no problem at all though.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Following advice found on this forum, I prudently had my Tdap and MMR jab done yesterday by the NHS instead of in London. The charge? Zero pounds! (shame about the side effects though)

However I was informed the MMR comes in two stages, and I have to wait 3 months for the second jab. Hmm. So what should my next step be, just go ahead and get the official medical? Would I actually have to wait 3 months before I could either leave the UK or could it be completed in the USA? I had just assumed everything could be done in one visit in London..... silly me.

thanks
I had exactly the same experience with my GP so I elected to cough up an additional 25 sovs to have it done as a single jab by Knightsbridge at my medical. The vaccinations nurse at Knightsbridge said she'd never heard of doing MMR in two stages before.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
I had exactly the same experience with my GP so I elected to cough up an additional 25 sovs to have it done as a single jab by Knightsbridge at my medical. The vaccinations nurse at Knightsbridge said she'd never heard of doing MMR in two stages before.
The plot thickens. The nurse also mentioned a blood test after the 2nd jab to confirm immunity. It's a bit puzzling.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The side effects won't hit everyone. For me it feels like someone punched me in the arm very hard, and I have a flu-like spaced out feeling with temperature.
I assume it's the MMR behind it all because the nurse warned me to expect a sore arm, but the Tdap could be responsible for the mild flu. Who knows

The actual jabs were no problem at all though.
I didn't have any side-effects from having Tdap before my medical last year, but I did feel feverish for a day after having a tetanus booster about fifteen years ago, when I was around 30. Maybe the side-effects lessen as you get older.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

i had a MMR jab done at my GP's office after my medical in November 2009 and it was a 1shot thing , maybe they have changed their practices?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

I don't know, maybe. I'm seeing my doctor next week so I'll ask him then.

But in the meantime it's leaves a quandary
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

No time for detailed reply with links, but---

Assuming you want your jabs complete so you don't have to see a civil surgeon in the US (K1) or either you are a CR1 and have to be complete before visa. Wait time between MMR jabs (US CDC recs) is 4 weeks.

Don't remember where you are in process, but if exam is before that wait time is up, they should mark Form DS3025 "insufficient time interval". If they don't, tell them it's in their technical instructions.

"Insufficient time interval" is one of the 4 acceptable reasons why a blanket waiver can/will be given by the adjudicator to excuse you from the second shot. You never have to get it later unless you just want to.

If 4 weeks have passed before medical, then Knightsbridge may say the second is due. You can go back to NHS to get it and have them fax proof to Knightsbridge. Be sure and tell Knightsbridge to hold your results until you get the shot, so they don't go to embassy prematurely.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rpjs
I've had the exact opposite experience. I had the MMR jab at Knightsbridge and the nurse there told me I would need to have a second jab in 4 - 6 weeks!

I looked it up on the internet and the second jab is required because the first jab doesn't produce immunity in about 2% - 5% of people. I suppose you wouldn't need to have it if you did a blood test and they were able to confirm that the first jab worked; but that's almost more hassle than just getting the second jab.

Also, my GP is going to charge for the MMR and flu jabs. £22 for the MMR and £20 for the flu jab as it is for "travel reasons".

It has been more than 6 weeks since I had the first jab but I haven't been able to have the second jab yet as I got a chest infection and I'm on anti-biotics and they won't give it to you if you are on anti-biotics.

Last edited by CAProgrammer; Dec 23rd 2011 at 10:02 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moxie
No time for detailed reply with links, but---

Assuming you want your jabs complete so you don't have to see a civil surgeon in the US (K1) or either you are a CR1 and have to be complete before visa. Wait time between MMR jabs (US CDC recs) is 4 weeks.

Don't remember where you are in process, but if exam is before that wait time is up, they should mark Form DS3025 "insufficient time interval". If they don't, tell them it's in their technical instructions.

"Insufficient time interval" is one of the 4 acceptable reasons why a blanket waiver can/will be given by the adjudicator to excuse you from the second shot. You never have to get it later unless you just want to.

If 4 weeks have passed before medical, then Knightsbridge may say the second is due. You can go back to NHS to get it and have them fax proof to Knightsbridge. Be sure and tell Knightsbridge to hold your results until you get the shot, so they don't go to embassy prematurely.
ok, great info. So probably my simplest option is to schedule the medical for over a month from now, and ask them to give me the second jab. That gives a 4 week interval.
I think I'd rather do that than liaise further between NHS and Knightsbridge, because that's how complications arise.

Maybe the official site could add a warning about this issue, because it's a potential delay/wrangle.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
I've had the exact opposite experience. I had the MMR jab at Knightsbridge and the nurse there told me I would need to have a second jab in 4 - 6 weeks!
Likely she hasn't studied the waiver details or the CDC website.

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
I looked it up on the internet and the second jab is required because the first jab doesn't produce immunity in about 2% - 5% of people. I suppose you wouldn't need to have it if you did a blood test and they were able to confirm that the first jab worked; but that's almost more hassle than just getting the second jab.
Immigration gives you a waiver for "insufficient time interval". If you want the second, it's totally up to you.

ok, great info. So probably my simplest option is to schedule the medical for over a month from now, and ask them to give me the second jab. That gives a 4 week interval..
Get your medical in two weeks and skip the jab.

Maybe the official site could add a warning about this issue, because it's a potential delay/wrangle.
Here. study all these links and you'll see where I'm getting this info. http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeeh...tructions.html

In the link called Procedure for Completing the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet you'll find the discussion of the waivers. And further down find
◦Vaccination history incomplete: Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s).
Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a panel physician and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)" box must also be checked. This box will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant.
Once you get the CR1 visa, nobody is going to make you follow up with more jabs. Same for K1s adjusting status. They will go by your visa medical if you get the shots recorded n the DS-3025.

Here's a Q&A from USCIS along the same lines about completing a series. from this page http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD
Q. Certain vaccine series can only be completed with multiple visits to the civil surgeon. Am I required to complete the entire series before the civil surgeon can sign the Form I-693?
A. You are only required to receive a single dose of each vaccine when you visit the civil surgeon. You are encouraged to follow up with your private health care provider to complete the series. Once you have received the single dose appropriate at the time, the civil surgeon can sign and certify the Form I-693.
And from the Dept of State http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_4657.html (way down the page)
Although applicants are not required to complete the vaccine series, they are encouraged to receive as many additional doses as possible prior to travel to the United States. The vaccinations required by the CDC include: 1) vaccinations against vaccine-preventable diseases explicitly listed in INA 212(a)(1)(A)(ii), and 2) vaccinations recommended by the ACIP for U.S. immigration purposes.

Last edited by Moxie; Dec 23rd 2011 at 2:57 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

i had the mmr and 4 weeks later had the 2nd part as instructed by the nurse at my doctors. the cost £0 but she did say they were going to start to charge shortly.

also went to the asda pharmacy in my local store the flu jab is only £7 there. if they still have the vaccine.

hope this will help someone
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice

Originally Posted by redarmy990
i had the mmr and 4 weeks later had the 2nd part as instructed by the nurse at my doctors. the cost £0 but she did say they were going to start to charge shortly.

also went to the asda pharmacy in my local store the flu jab is only £7 there. if they still have the vaccine.

hope this will help someone

If you do go to somewhere like ASDA for the jabs how do you prove to Knightsbridge you have had them- since they won't appear on your NHS record ?

Are you retaining the receipts to take with you along with NHS print out ?

I was considering this but wasn't sure :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peaksy
If you do go to somewhere like ASDA for the jabs how do you prove to Knightsbridge you have had them- since they won't appear on your NHS record ?

Are you retaining the receipts to take with you along with NHS print out ?

I was considering this but wasn't sure :-)
Get documentation from ASDA of the vaccine and date. Knightsbridge doesn't access the NHS records. You can take in a handwritten list from your GP, your little immunization book, and pieces of paper from ASDA as records of immunization.

As far as charging a fee, some NHS offices do it free but they don't have to since it's for immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.