Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick i864 affidavit question before my interview

Quick i864 affidavit question before my interview

Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

gametime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick i864 affidavit question before my interview

Ok, so I think I'm all set up and ready to go for my interview at the embassy. I am finishing the affidavit of support that my wife is filling in. Her US passport is in her maiden name, but we've been using her married name throughout the process.
Should we fill out the i864 in her maiden name as that's whats on her passport or should we continue to do it in her married name and bring the UK marriage certificate to show her change of name?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick i864 affidavit question before my interview

What name does she use for the supporting documents, i.e. bank account, pay statements, tax returns?

Since she is not the immigrant it doesn't really matter one way or the other which name is used. For consistency use the name used on the petition. Your marriage certificate will show the reason for the difference in names on documents.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Her US statements and returns use her maiden name
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gametime
Her US statements and returns use her maiden name
As I noted, it doesn't matter. She is not the immigrant but the sponsor. I had changed my surname at work before we filed the I-485 for my foreign born husband (we did a K1) so my Affidavit of Support showed my former surname on the tax transcripts but showed my married surname on my paystubs and on the bank statements some were in my former married name and some in my new married name. Our marriage certificate explained the discrepancy. Don't over think such a minor issue.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
As I noted, it doesn't matter. She is not the immigrant but the sponsor. I had changed my surname at work before we filed the I-485 for my foreign born husband (we did a K1) so my Affidavit of Support showed my former surname on the tax transcripts but showed my married surname on my paystubs and on the bank statements some were in my former married name and some in my new married name. Our marriage certificate explained the discrepancy. Don't over think such a minor issue.
Thank you. I have been overthinking everything about the process, I think.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:55 pm
Concierge

PS Many women today do not take their husband's surname as their own. I have two married daughters. One uses her husband's surname and the other still after ten years of marriage uses her maiden name on everything including her passports, taxes, bank statements, and on their child's school paperwork, etc.