Wikiposts

Quick I-864 question

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:55 am
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all
Default Quick I-864 question

Ok, so here in the US on my K-1 and getting married August 8th.

My USC fiancee does not have sufficient income, so we are using her dad as as co-sponsor. We are currently living at her dad's house, so should he fill out an I-864 or an I-864A?
Bearing in mind that we may well move out once I have an income, we may not share the same houshold after we have applied.

I also have a job interview tomorrow so we will see how that goes with the whole K-1 work authorized saga..
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick I-864 question

Originally Posted by tom_1984

My USC fiancee does not have sufficient income, so we are using her dad as as co-sponsor. We are currently living at her dad's house, so should he fill out an I-864 or an I-864A?
Bearing in mind that we may well move out once I have an income, we may not share the same houshold after we have applied.

I also have a job interview tomorrow so we will see how that goes with the whole K-1 work authorized saga..
In your current situation, your wife will complete an I-864, but she will include dad's income on it. She will use combined income of her and her dad. Her dad will complete an I-864A, which is a joint sponsor who is also part of the same household.

By the time of your AOS interview, if you have one, you can try turning in a new updated I-864 to get the joint sponsor off the hook.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If Dad completes an I-864A, he is a Household Member and his income is combined with your wife's on her I-864.

If Dad completes an I-864, it is as a Joint Sponsor.

Either situation applies to you equally.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:14 am
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In your current situation, your wife will complete an I-864, but she will include dad's income on it. She will use combined income of her and her dad. Her dad will complete an I-864A, which is a joint sponsor who is also part of the same household.

By the time of your AOS interview, if you have one, you can try turning in a new updated I-864 to get the joint sponsor off the hook.

Rene
Ok.. but say we are no longer living with her dad, but still require his income for sponsorship (to be safe) we would then no longer be of the same household and he would require to fill out a regular I-864 right?

I only ask this because for the time being I will prob end up in a retail job that doesn't pay that well :P

Last edited by tom_1984; Jul 23rd 2008 at 11:40 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:15 am
Honorary Texan

Originally Posted by meauxna
If Dad completes an I-864A, he is a Household Member and his income is combined with your wife's on her I-864.

If Dad completes an I-864, it is as a Joint Sponsor.

Either situation applies to you equally.
Ok, so if I just get him to fill out an I-864 as a joint sponser, that would be ok? Even if by the time I do AOS we are still living with him? I mean, that would cover the two scenarios.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so if I just get him to fill out an I-864 as a joint sponser, that would be ok? Even if by the time I do AOS we are still living with him? I mean, that would cover the two scenarios.
That's correct.
A Joint Sponsor (complete) I-864 is more paperwork intensive, but 'covers' your situation more comfortably. If no one minds the extra paperwork, that's fine.

If your own I-864 at the time of your interview would be sufficient, you can ask the officer to remove Dad's Joint Sponsor I-864. It will be up to the officer to allow that or not.

What's the retail job that pays well? Appliances?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That's correct.
A Joint Sponsor (complete) I-864 is more paperwork intensive, but 'covers' your situation more comfortably. If no one minds the extra paperwork, that's fine.

If your own I-864 at the time of your interview would be sufficient, you can ask the officer to remove Dad's Joint Sponsor I-864. It will be up to the officer to allow that or not.

I was just thinking, for all those people who have been getting approved w/o an interview, if they've used a joint sponsor, they had no chance to remove the joint sponsor.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 23rd 2008 at 10:46 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I was just thinking, for all those people who have been getting approved w/o an interview, if they've used a joint sponsor, they had no change to remove the joint sponsor.

Rene
True. And scattered reports of officers who will not take a replacement (new) I-864 showing both spouses' income.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:39 am
Honorary Texan

That's correct.

Ok cool thanks

I meant *doesn't* pay that well.. :P
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:00 pm

Ok cool thanks

I meant *doesn't* pay that well.. :P
lol, well, try the appliance angle! The only people I ever met in retail that make a decent wodge.