Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding Affidavit of Support

Wikiposts

Questions regarding Affidavit of Support

Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

mandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to all
Default Questions regarding Affidavit of Support

Hi there...I am just starting the process of filing forms to bring my fiance over to the US. I understand that I need to provide an affidavit of support, but am concerned as I've not been working the last few years. Previously I was a stay at home spouse/gf, and am starting a job soon. I don't plan on filing the forms until after the first of the year, but am wondering how this will affect the paperwork.

Thanks, you guys always provide a wealth of knowledge
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by mandalanda
Hi there...I am just starting the process of filing forms to bring my fiance over to the US. I understand that I need to provide an affidavit of support, but am concerned as I've not been working the last few years. Previously I was a stay at home spouse/gf, and am starting a job soon. I don't plan on filing the forms until after the first of the year, but am wondering how this will affect the paperwork.

Thanks, you guys always provide a wealth of knowledge
You will need to show the required level of income that meets 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size. It will be a requirement for your fiance's visa to be approved, and later on when he adjusts his status to a Perm. Res. You can find the necessary amounts on the I-864p on www.uscis.gov website. If you do not meet the income requirements, then you will need to find a joint sponsor that does. However, you can use assets to make up for a lack of income. The asset level required would be 3x the income. So, for example, for a household of 2, the required income is $17,500, or required assets of $52,500.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 17th 2008 at 6:46 am.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

mandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to allmandalanda is a name known to all

Thanks, from what I can tell I need to complete the I-134 form only...is that right?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandalanda
Thanks, from what I can tell I need to complete the I-134 form only...is that right?
That is for his K1 visa approval, and pretty much doesn't matter once he comes over here (from a contractural point of view) on his K1. Once he arrives, and you marry, you will need to fill out the I-864, which is the important Aff. of Support, to go along with the I-485 Adjustment of Status forms. The same income requirements apply to the I-864 as the I-134.

Oh, and if he has enough assets, he can actually self-sponsor on the I-134. There have been a few topics regarding this, so you should do a search for them.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
The same income requirements apply to the I-864 as the I-134.
The income requirements are the same, but the asset requirements (in lieu of income) is not. For the I-864, assets = 3x the income is okay since the beneficiary is a spouse. For the I-134, assets = 5x the income because the beneficiary is not yet a spouse.

Ian