Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about Removal of condition (I-751)

Questions about Removal of condition (I-751)

Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:42 am
Ir

Default Questions about Removal of condition (I-751)

Hi,

First let me say that this group is fantastic. I see lot of good responses to the
questions posted here. Keep up the good work.

It's my luck day today. Today in mail I got the letter from INS - California Service
Center saying that my petition for Removal of condition has been approved and I
should go to the San Francisco service center with my passport and three recent
photographs.

I have some questions. Would appreciate if you could post your experiences or
knowledge about it:

1) How long does it take to actually receive the new green card - I-551? The letter
I got says that it may take around six months. Is this normal? How long has it
taken for you to get the actual green card after your removal of condition has
been approved?

2) Once I go to INS service center tomorrow with my passport and three recent photos,
what happens there?

3) After successful completion of step #2 above, if my marital status is changed -
say I get divorced from my US citizen spouse AND I still haven't received my new
green card, do I need to notify INS about this event? If yes, what are the
consequences?

4) Am I eligible to file for citizenship? If not when will I be? Can I file for
citizenship even if I am divorced from my US citizen spouse?

Thanks for your feedback and good luck to you all,

- IR

My timeline for I-751:

I had filed my I-751 with INS California Service center in February 2002. I received
NOA that was dated 02/15/2002. Today, 08/18/2002, I got the letter from INS saying
that my petition has been approved.

Old Aug 18th 2002, 8:52 am
Ranjini

Default Re: Questions about Removal of condition (I-751)

<< 1) How long does it take to actually receive the new green card - I-551? The
    > letter I got says that it may take around six months. Is this normal? How long has
    > it taken for you to get the actual green card after your removal
of
    > condition has been approved?>>

The time depends on the service center. And this varies from time to time. For
instance, people who had conditions removed after us were reporting getting their 10
yr. green cards out of Nebraska in a month or two, whereas mine took 7 months.
Perhaps, someone who got their card recently from CSC could update you.

<<2) Once I go to INS service center tomorrow with my passport and three
    > recent photos, what happens there?>>

You will be required to hand over your photos and they will process you for the green
card. They will require the fingerprint of your right index finger. They will place
a I-551 stamp in your passport which is valid for 1 year.

<<3) After successful completion of step #2 above, if my marital status is
    > changed - say I get divorced from my US citizen spouse AND I still haven't received
    > my new green card, do I need to notify INS about this event? If yes, what are the
    > consequences?>>

You are a lawful permenant resident from the date of your approval. Your residence
is longer dependent on your marriage. If you choose to divorce your spouse now it is
not the concern of the INS.

> 4) Am I eligible to file for citizenship? If not when will I be? Can I
file
    > for citizenship even if I am divorced from my US citizen spouse?>>

If you remain married to your USC spouse you are eligible to file for citizenship 2
years and 9 months from the date you received your conditional permanent residence.
If you divorce you will be eligible to file 4 years and 9 months from that date. Hope
this helps, Ranjini

"IR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]. net...
    > Hi,
    > First let me say that this group is fantastic. I see lot of good responses to the
    > questions posted here. Keep up the good work.
    > It's my luck day today. Today in mail I got the letter from INS -
California
    > Service Center saying that my petition for Removal of condition has been approved
    > and I should go to the San Francisco service center with my passport and three
    > recent photographs.
    > I have some questions. Would appreciate if you could post your experiences or
    > knowledge about it:
    > 1) How long does it take to actually receive the new green card - I-551?
The
    > letter I got says that it may take around six months. Is this normal? How long has
    > it taken for you to get the actual green card after your removal
of
    > condition has been approved?
    > 2) Once I go to INS service center tomorrow with my passport and three recent
    > photos, what happens there?
    > 3) After successful completion of step #2 above, if my marital status is changed -
    > say I get divorced from my US citizen spouse AND I still haven't received my new
    > green card, do I need to notify INS about this event? If yes, what are the
    > consequences?
    > 4) Am I eligible to file for citizenship? If not when will I be? Can I
file
    > for citizenship even if I am divorced from my US citizen spouse?
    > Thanks for your feedback and good luck to you all,
    > - IR
    > My timeline for I-751:
    > I had filed my I-751 with INS California Service center in February 2002. I
    > received NOA that was dated 02/15/2002. Today, 08/18/2002, I got the letter from
    > INS saying that my petition has been approved.

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ir:
Hi,

1) How long does it take to actually receive the new green card - I-551? The letter
I got says that it may take around six months. Is this normal? How long has it
taken for you to get the actual green card after your removal of condition has
been approved?

It will take about the same length of time that it took you to get the original conditional green card.

2) Once I go to INS service center tomorrow with my passport and three recent photos,
what happens there?

[b] What you are going to the local INS office for is the completion of the card that they send off to the service center to have your card made from. It is the same as the one you did when you had your original AOS interview. It will have your signature, single digit fingerprint and your photo. The time clock for the green card starts from the date you visit the local INS office and complete this step.

3) After successful completion of step #2 above, if my marital status is changed -
say I get divorced from my US citizen spouse AND I still haven't received my new
green card, do I need to notify INS about this event? If yes, what are the
consequences?

I'm assuming here that you marriage is rocky and that you are waiting to complete this final step before filing for divorce otherwise you would not post such a scenario. You do not have to inform INS that you are divorced or separated. When you in for the completion of the green card paperwork, have them place a new I-551 in your passport. This will serve as your temporary green card until the actual card arrives in the mail. If you vacate the premises before receipt of the actual green card you run the risk of it being waylaid in the mail. You can either attempt to contact the service center and have them change the address. This is a one in a million shot. Or you can put in a mail forwarding request with the post office you use to have any mail in your name alone redirected to your new address.

4) Am I eligible to file for citizenship? If not when will I be? Can I file for
citizenship even if I am divorced from my US citizen spouse?

If you divorce you are not eligible for naturalization until five years from the date of your AOS approval. The three year eligibility is only good for those still married to US citizens.

Rete

Thanks for your feedback and good luck to you all,

- IR

My timeline for I-751:

I had filed my I-751 with INS California Service center in February 2002. I received
NOA that was dated 02/15/2002. Today, 08/18/2002, I got the letter from INS saying
that my petition has been approved.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 12:24 pm
Satish K

Thanks for the information. It is helpful! - Satish

Old Aug 18th 2002, 12:26 pm
Satish K

>>. Or you can put in a mail forwarding request with the post office you
use to
    > > have any mail in your name alone redirected to your new address.

Isn't this a better option? Because I think USPS will forward any mail to new address
for 1 year. Maybe I will do this if I happen to move to a new address.

Thanks for information.

Old Sep 14th 2002, 6:23 am
Dd

For those who filed for I-751 at Vermont - I filed my I-751 on Nov 26, 2001 (NOA
date). I called VSC on Aug 29, 2002; after 15th consecutive tries I got through. I
was told that it was approved without any interview on Aug 26, 2002. So it seems it
took exactly 9 months. Then I got the official approval letter on Sep 7, 2002 (mailed
on Sep 4 by INS).

Old Sep 14th 2002, 7:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dd:
For those who filed for I-751 at Vermont - I filed my I-751 on Nov 26, 2001 (NOA
date). I called VSC on Aug 29, 2002; after 15th consecutive tries I got through. I
was told that it was approved without any interview on Aug 26, 2002. So it seems it
took exactly 9 months. Then I got the official approval letter on Sep 7, 2002 (mailed
on Sep 4 by INS).
Great news Dd ... we've only been waiting since May but nice to know Vermont has picked up speed.

Rete