Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about marriage

Questions about marriage

Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about marriage

Originally posted by Rene
As far as timeline.... we are in no hurry, we would rather do it right than go the risky way.
Rene,
Re: 'timeline', we too were in no particular hurry, I just like to be efficient. My purpose in bringing it up is that it is my opinion that if a couple can walk into the Consulate essentially prepared to submit everything on their first visit, they walk in with the upper hand. Documents that one wants "tomorrow" can be difficult to get from 10000 miles away. Don't forget all the supporting docs which ask for things you may not know off the top of your head (where/when were your parents born etc).
Best of luck with your DCF!

PS: as to your 401K, I have no idea, but I hope it grows! I don't know of an immigration-related consequence, but your tax filing status will change after marriage.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
Rene,
Re: 'timeline', we too were in no particular hurry, I just like to be efficient. My purpose in bringing it up is that it is my opinion that if a couple can walk into the Consulate essentially prepared to submit everything on their first visit, they walk in with the upper hand. Documents that one wants "tomorrow" can be difficult to get from 10000 miles away. Don't forget all the supporting docs which ask for things you may not know off the top of your head (where/when were your parents born etc).
Best of luck with your DCF!

meauxna,
I see what you mean, we will do our best to be fully prepared.

Do you know if all the documents needed for DCF is listed in the package I receive from the Consulate ?
I have requested it, and hope to receive it this week.

If any danish papers needs translation, am I allowed to do that myself, or do I need to seek some sort of trusted translator ?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rene
meauxna,
I see what you mean, we will do our best to be fully prepared.

Do you know if all the documents needed for DCF is listed in the package I receive from the Consulate ?
I have requested it, and hope to receive it this week.

If any danish papers needs translation, am I allowed to do that myself, or do I need to seek some sort of trusted translator ?
Not having dealt with you Consulate, I wouldn't hazard a guess at what exactly they'll send you. There used to be 2 "packets" (# 3 & #4) that detailed all you need to know; some Consulates may send it all to you ahead of time. A good place to start is with a copy of OF-169 which is the general checklist of required docs. That, and a google search for your Consulate will get you started. Besides the alien's application (yours) the USC will have to provide some detailed paperwork, particularly the Affidavit of Support I-864 and its supporting paperwork. She might benefit from a practice run on that form.

I also found the outdated site http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html a very good resource for DCF.

As to translations, there has been recent discussion about them; you can access the group archives through google/groups. But the short answer is: it's best to not have either petitioner do the translations but it doesn't always have to be (but sometimes does!) an 'official' translator.

If it's easy for you to visit your Consulate (and easy to get in!), you can always see the Information Desk for the Immigrant Visa Unit for help. Don't recommend using the term 'DCF' abroad as its not an official term. You will be applying for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1).
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Rene, if you go to:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

You will see to experiences from Swedes who have done the DCF in Sweden. Will be helpful to you to read.

Rete

Originally posted by meauxna
Not having dealt with you Consulate, I wouldn't hazard a guess at what exactly they'll send you. There used to be 2 "packets" (# 3 & #4) that detailed all you need to know; some Consulates may send it all to you ahead of time. A good place to start is with a copy of OF-169 which is the general checklist of required docs. That, and a google search for your Consulate will get you started. Besides the alien's application (yours) the USC will have to provide some detailed paperwork, particularly the Affidavit of Support I-864 and its supporting paperwork. She might benefit from a practice run on that form.

I also found the outdated site http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html a very good resource for DCF.

As to translations, there has been recent discussion about them; you can access the group archives through google/groups. But the short answer is: it's best to not have either petitioner do the translations but it doesn't always have to be (but sometimes does!) an 'official' translator.

If it's easy for you to visit your Consulate (and easy to get in!), you can always see the Information Desk for the Immigrant Visa Unit for help. Don't recommend using the term 'DCF' abroad as its not an official term. You will be applying for an Immigrant Visa (CR-1).
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:12 pm

Originally posted by Rete
Actually, Rene, if you go to:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

You will see to experiences from Swedes who have done the DCF in Sweden. Will be helpful to you to read.

Rete
er, except he's Danish the kamya site *is* great tho & I don't cite it enough.
There's one 2-year old post for Denmark, the salient point in it being that the foreign spouse turned in their OF-169 and OF-230 on the same day as the I-130 and that the interview, while quoted to be 2.5 months out was actually quicker than that.
Therefore, having all papers ready to turn in at the first visit is a good way to be prepared to go faster, if one wants.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:55 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

Rete, I *did* get questioned when I flew into Manchester in June. Their
immigration inspector thought he had a good one when he asked me what
was my purpose of visit to the UK and when I said "to get married!" the
fun and games started, BUT, I had proof of "intent to return to the US*
as the next question was "does the Home Office know about this?"

As I read the IND website front to back, I was able to quote specific
sections of UK immigration policies where it said I would NOT need a
visa to stay if i was not going to establish permanent residency there.

The whole process took 15 minutes. Ironically,when I came back from
Prague the 1st week of June (with hubby), I got the SAME inspector as I
did in June, all he asked was "how was your trip?", stamped my passport
and waved me on in.

So "proof of intent to return" goes both ways too!

Re: Questions about marriage

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Sun, Nov 16, 2003, 5:16pm
(EST+5) From: member@british_expats.com (Rete)
Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:
I looked at it again -- and I'm not sure which way is intended. Â
If it is the way you read it -- then no problem at all for the
standpoint of US law.
Yeah that is how I read it as his gf is going to Sweden to visit him for
the Christmas Holidays and he was asking if the US Consulate will
question their intention of marriage for immigration purposes only if
they marry there and apply for his spousal visa directly with the US
Consulate. My subsequent advice to him was to contact the US Consulate
directly for information and/or to consult with an immigraton attorney
in Sweden familiar with US immigration.