Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about marriage; the Follow Up

Questions about marriage; the Follow Up

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions about marriage

After a while I'm now returning to the experts.

We got married december 18 2003, and we began filing papers to the counsulate in Copenhagen, I got through 3 different sets of brown envelopes with papers, had docters appointments e.t.c. and I entered united states the april 10 2004, my GC expires at april 10 2006 so I need to have my status adjusted.

Is it the I-485 I need to file ?

I found some positings that said I could file the I-485 right after my entry to the U.S, but I understood from the lady at the enbassy that I should file no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration of my GC.... which one is it ?

Thanks any reply
/Rene
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rene
After a while I'm now returning to the experts.

We got married december 18 2003, and we began filing papers to the counsulate in Copenhagen, I got through 3 different sets of brown envelopes with papers, had docters appointments e.t.c. and I entered united states the april 10 2004, my GC expires at april 10 2006 so I need to have my status adjusted.

Is it the I-485 I need to file ?

I found some positings that said I could file the I-485 right after my entry to the U.S, but I understood from the lady at the enbassy that I should file no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration of my GC.... which one is it ?

Thanks any reply
/Rene
Well there's a blast from the past! Congratulations on getting this far

You're chasing the wrong forms. What you need to do is called Removing Conditions, and it is fairly straight forward. You and your husband file to show that you are in a bonafide marriage.
There are several lists posted on this group of what we've submitted. The form is called I-751, which might help your searches. There are also lists posted at the www.kamya.com/interview site.

Here's the official instruction from USCIS:
How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond2.htm

Check the form page at uscis.gov as the fee has gone up and there is a new form and new submission instructions. Make sure you are using the newest version of the form (circa 11/2005 I think).

Also check out this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341173 and draw your own conclusions.

I think I will also split this post off into its own new thread, with a reference to your original story, so no one gets confused on the BE forum.
OP's original DCF thread is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190654

Welcome 'back'!

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 5th 2005 at 9:59 am.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well there's a blast from the past! Congratulations on getting this far

Welcome 'back'!

Hi Meauxna, once again you steered me in the right direction - thank you so much.
I downloaded the I-751 and it looks like no-sweat..... I also found a lot of other posts about filing and timelines to this form, so I'll snoop around in those.

Thanks again
/Rene