Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about birth and marriage certificates

Wikiposts

Questions about birth and marriage certificates

Old May 24th 2002, 12:20 pm
Barbara

Default Questions about birth and marriage certificates

I have some questions. I am filing for the I-129F. When I sent in my 1-130 I sent in
the original of my birth certificate and original marriage certificate. I made the
mistake of listening to a few people at the Consulate. I am getting my birth
certificate next week. Does it matter if it is certified or not? The one I had I
can't remember if it was. It had my parents names on it. I don't even know what the
difference is. I know I will need my husbands long form. He is getting that one. My
next question is about the marriage certificate. When we got married in Canada we got
a book. It is Marriage Service and Certificate. I am assuming I can use this
certificate that is in the front. Am I right? When I send in the I-129F I will send
in copies of the certificates. I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. Oh, my
other question is about my husband's birth certificate. Someone told me that I need
my husband's certificate to send in with the I-130 and the I-129F. I can't find it
anywhere, where it says they need his birth certificate. Please help if you can.
Thank you!

Barb

Old May 25th 2002, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions about birth and marriage certificates

You need to have the official marriage certificate from the Vital Statistics dept in your province. The one given to you after your marriage ceremony is not official and can't be used for immigration purposes.

The foreign spouse's bc is not required with filing the I-130, but many people include it anyway. Dunno about the I-129F.
Old May 25th 2002, 5:20 am
Sthrnshrte

>You need to have the official marriage certificate from the Vital Statistics dept in
    >your province. The one given to you after your marriage ceremony is not official and
    >can't be used for immigration purposes.

Just wondering, is the same for the handwritten marriage certificate given to people
married in the UK? I've been using that one for my forms and applications... should I
have gotten a different one from the registrar?

Old May 26th 2002, 11:20 am
Bondi Eric

SthrnShrtE wrote:
    >
    > >You need to have the official marriage certificate from the Vital Statistics dept
    > >in your province. The one given to you after your marriage ceremony is not
    > >official and can't be used for immigration purposes.
    >
    > Just wondering, is the same for the handwritten marriage certificate given to
    > people married in the UK? I've been using that one for my forms and applications...
    > should I have gotten a different one from the registrar?

No. My wife and I used the handwritten one from the registrar where we married in the
UK to do I-130 DCF in London and had no problems.