Questions about applying for the K1 Fiance Visa

Wikiposts

Questions about applying for the K1 Fiance Visa

Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Keetabagel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about applying for the K1 Fiance Visa

Hello,

I'm a US citizen working on applying for a K1 fiance visa so that I can marry my British fiance and he can come live with me in the states. I have a few questions about the application process that I hope you can help me with!

1. While I am applying for a K-1 Fiance Visa, will my British fiance be allowed into the U.S. to visit (ex: 2 week visit)? Does he need evidence of his intent to return to the UK and if so, what should he bring?

2. I noticed that some of the forms related to filing the I-129F require my fiance's signature. He is at home, in England. Is it acceptable to send photocopies of the signed forms? (i.e. he prints out the form and signs it and scans it and sends it to me to print) or does he have to mail the originals to me?

3. Is it acceptable to send color photocopies of the evidence of our relationship (to go along with the I-129F) or are we required to send originals? Do pictures need to be on glossy paper?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about applying for the K1 Fiance Visa

Originally Posted by Keetabagel
I'm a US citizen working on applying for a K1 fiance visa...
You're actually filing an I-129F petition for him. He is the one who will apply for the K-1 visa. It's good to know the correct terms for future use.

1. While I am applying for a K-1 Fiance Visa, will my British fiance be allowed into the U.S. to visit (ex: 2 week visit)?
While you are filing his petition, and while he is applying for the K-1, yes, he can come to visit the USA.

Does he need evidence of his intent to return to the UK and if so, what should he bring?
Yes, he needs evidence that he'll return to the UK. Has he ever visited the USA before? He'd use that same type of evidence. Anything that shows his ties to the UK.

2. I noticed that some of the forms related to filing the I-129F require my fiance's signature. He is at home, in England. Is it acceptable to send photocopies of the signed forms? (i.e. he prints out the form and signs it and scans it and sends it to me to print) or does he have to mail the originals to me?
No, photocopies and scans are not acceptable. He needs to send you forms with original signatures.

3. Is it acceptable to send color photocopies of the evidence of our relationship (to go along with the I-129F) or are we required to send originals? Do pictures need to be on glossy paper?
You do not send originals of the evidence. Photocopies are fine, either black & white or color, whichever you prefer. Photos of the two of you together do not need to be on glossy paper. But the passport-style photos need to be per the USCIS standard.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're actually filing an I-129F petition for him. He is the one who will apply for the K-1 visa. It's good to know the correct terms for future use.
OK thanks, I was getting a bit confused about the terms.

Yes, he needs evidence that he'll return to the UK. Has he ever visited the USA before? He'd use that same type of evidence. Anything that shows his ties to the UK.
He has visited 5 times, but he has only had a copy of his flight itinerary before. Is it risky for him to visit? Maybe he should bring proof of his job or something? I just really don't want him to get turned away! I forgot to ask, is it OK for me to visit him too?

Thanks so much for your help and speedy reply!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, I was getting a bit confused about the terms.

He has visited 5 times, but he has only had a copy of his flight itinerary before. Is it risky for him to visit? Maybe he should bring proof of his job or something? I just really don't want him to get turned away! I forgot to ask, is it OK for me to visit him too?

Thanks so much for your help and speedy reply!
Yes, it's OK for you both to visit each other. Yes, a letter from his employer on letterhead stating when he is due back at work would be helpful. He should only show things like that, though, if asked specifically.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Yes, it's OK for you both to visit each other. Yes, a letter from his employer on letterhead stating when he is due back at work would be helpful. He should only show things like that, though, if asked specifically.

Rene
So he shouldn't state that I am filing an I-129F petition unless they mention it? He is really nervous at the thought of being turned away. I'm trying to call Visa Services (hope that is the right place?), but I guess they're extremely busy.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No way, he should not mention that unless asked specifically.

There's no point in volunteering information that will make them more suspicious than they already are after 5 visits in presumably a reasonably short period of time!

Oh and ringing "visa services" is no good, the people on the other end of the phone are not consular officers, they are just people employed to answer phones and have very little knowledge about the in-depth processes of immigration visas. If you can't find out the answers from uscis.com, ask on here or on the visajourney forum.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:00 am

So he shouldn't state that I am filing an I-129F petition unless they mention it? He is really nervous at the thought of being turned away. I'm trying to call Visa Services (hope that is the right place?), but I guess they're extremely busy.
Nope, he shouldn't mention anything unless asked very specifically.

There is no one you can call. I don't know who you mean by Visa Services.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:12 am
Just Joined

There is no one you can call. I don't know who you mean by Visa Services.

Rene
Ohh...I was on this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_2994.html and hit the Contact Us button, and scrolled down to Visa Services. Maybe not the right place to call though...especially as you said there is no one haha. I guess I'm alright now, aside from my fiance being worried about getting turned away. Thanks again for your help
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:14 am

Ohh...I was on this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_2994.html and hit the Contact Us button, and scrolled down to Visa Services. Maybe not the right place to call though...especially as you said there is no one haha. I guess I'm alright now, aside from my fiance being worried about getting turned away. Thanks again for your help
Nope, that's not the place to call. There really is no good place to call with questions. Come on here and we'll help you out. If you really need a professional opinion on something, you're best bet is an immigration attorney.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
No way, he should not mention that unless asked specifically.

There's no point in volunteering information that will make them more suspicious than they already are after 5 visits in presumably a reasonably short period of time!
He thought he had read something about possibly getting into trouble if he didn't mention it upfront, not sure. It was 5 visits in 3 years so hopefully not too suspicious
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:23 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. My fiancee visited me twice within a year and I visited him three times in a year. He visited me in New York after the K1 application started and just said he was on holiday when asked why he was visiting. He did bring a letter of employment and a deed to his house but did not have to show it.Don't volunteer any extra info if you're not asked. They can see in his passport how many times he has visited anyway. I have been going to the UK several times a yer even before I met my fiancee . I always said I was on holiday or visiting friends.All passports are machine readable nowadays so your info is in the computer. Your fiancee will have to print out the forms and sign them and mail them to you. We did not send in original photos just black and white photocopies of me visiting him in the UK and him visiting me in New York and we had no problem. Our I 129 was sent to Vermont and approved in just over 2 months but that seems to be very quick. When you ring on the phone you get a call center in Scotland and not the embassy or consulate and they are pretty useless!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He thought he had read something about possibly getting into trouble if he didn't mention it upfront, not sure.
He must have read it wrong... he is under no obligation to volunteer information.

Ian