Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about AoS and Medical - Please Help VERY confused!!!

Wikiposts

Questions about AoS and Medical - Please Help VERY confused!!!

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

SamSaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Questions about AoS and Medical - Please Help VERY confused!!!

Hello all!
Im now living in the US and due to get married to my Fiance in 2 weeks, but I want to get everything in order to file for my AoS so Im well prepared. I know there are alot of threads regarding AoS but to be honest they confuse me and I have some questions that are making me panic to no end. I would be so grateful if someone can ease my worries!! :P
What is an AP? Is it necessary for me to file this or does this regard advance parole for wanting to leave the US to visit another country??
In regards to form I-797 - is this form sent to you once you have filed the application to Adjust the status to the USCIS?
What form is I-131?
Form I-765 is this for a work permit? And for how long?
I am also very confused over the medical and form I-693. I wasnt given anything for this in my interview only my X-ray and I still need two vaccines (TDAP and HPV) both of which my doctors refused to give me because I was over the age limit! And they were going to charge me through the nose so the doctor and Knightsbridge advised me to get the vaccines here in the US as she told me they would be cheaper. So do I need to get these vaccines straight away, and how do I file the form I-693???
I really hope you guys can help. I know it must be frustrating having people ask over and over again but I dont understand the process at all and I just really need some help.
Thankyou so much
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about AoS and Medical - Please Help VERY confused!!!

I'm sure you're going to get much better and comprehensive replies, but since I'm here and you write you're so panicking...

The 131 is to get the AP (advanced parole) and yes, it is if you want to travel while waiting for the adjustment of status. You don't HAVE to file it. But you can just in case you might need it. You don't have to use it once it gets approved. Everyone who submits it gets it approved.

I'm not clear in which country you'll be filing. If it's outside of the US, I don't know requirements and I suspect it's not even called AOS.

I765, yes you file it for the work permit - EAD. You file all forms including the 131 if you're filing it, and the 130 together. Once you receive the EAD it is valid unless it gets revoked eg. if your AOS doesn'r get approved and once your AOS is approved you don't need the EAD anyway.

Not sure about 767 bu I think you don't need to worry about it.

The medical - I 693. You fill it out, take it to a US civil surgeon in your area
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?ac...ffice_type=CIV
You can call several in advance ask for fees and ask what they think you need to have done vs. what you already have had done.

This has been a "quick and dirty" answer, but hoping it puts your mind to rest until someone gives a more proper and full answer.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSaid
Hello all!
Im now living in the US and due to get married to my Fiance in 2 weeks, but I want to get everything in order to file for my AoS so Im well prepared. I know there are alot of threads regarding AoS but to be honest they confuse me and I have some questions that are making me panic to no end. I would be so grateful if someone can ease my worries!! :P
What is an AP? Is it necessary for me to file this or does this regard advance parole for wanting to leave the US to visit another country??
In regards to form I-797 - is this form sent to you once you have filed the application to Adjust the status to the USCIS?
What form is I-131?
I am also very confused over the medical and form I-693. I wasnt given anything for this in my interview only my X-ray and I still need two vaccines (TDAP and HPV) both of which my doctors refused to give me because I was over the age limit! And they were going to charge me through the nose so the doctor and Knightsbridge advised me to get the vaccines here in the US as she told me they would be cheaper. So do I need to get these vaccines straight away, and how do I file the form I-693???
I really hope you guys can help. I know it must be frustrating having people ask over and over again but I dont understand the process at all and I just really need some help.
Thankyou so much
Hey there, welcome home!

There are two wiki entries that will help you: US Visa Glossary for all those pesky terms and form numbers and Adjustment of Status which explains the basic outline and some detail.

There is also a pinned thread at the top of the forum explaining the medical & I-693 for AOS.

One thing you didn't mention is your Social Security number; have you applied for that? You should, within the first 76 days you are in the US.

AP = Advance Parole = I-131 is the form you use to apply for this travel permission document. You must not leave the US before you get this (or a green card).

EAD = Employment Authorization Document = I-765 is the form to use to apply for your work permit. You must not work in the US before you get this (or a green card).

About the vaccines; you are either required to get the HPV or you are too old for it; which is it? You do not get vaccines that the doctor (or Service) decide are not required.

Slowly, slowly, one step at a time.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The process jmodd describes & went through did NOT involve a K-1 so there will be some differences. Make sure you are looking for instruction for AOS from a K-1 visa.

You do NOT have to re-take your medical.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for replying so fast!
JMood I am a K1 visa holder living in the US so i will be filing for my AoS here in the US. Thanks for your advice about the medical Ill ring round and get some quotes!
Meauxna - wow your always so helpful thankyou!! Ive read the Wiki on the Expats website and it slightly confused me thats why I asked the questions! lol I arrived in the US last week so next week Im applying for my SS and going to the SS office to get it as I have to wait 10 days after my arrival.
So once I get married what are the first steps and forms I need? (sorry to be a pain! )
In regards to my vaccine, the HPV is only given to teenagers at the moment and because im 24 they wouldnt give it to me for free with the NHS. I was given a quote yet told it was cheaper to get here in the US so I should visit a doctor here and get the HPV along with the TDAP which is required??? Then once I have done that do I visit another civil surgeon who can sign the I-693 form?? Sorry to ask again I just need that clarified.
Thankyou for all your quick responses!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:38 am

Ahhh.. yes, that makes sense now. It's not that your doc wouldn't give it, they just wouldn't give it for free.

FYI, that wiki is posted here, so if you have questions about it be sure to let us know. Someone is always updating it with new info or making it more clear.

Once you get married, follow the steps in the AOS wiki. The steps are in the Process section and the forms are in the next one down, Required Documents for Application. I-485 is a good start.

You will need to complete your vaccines at the office of your choice (public health offices are often les $$) and take the evidence of the vaccines to a civil surgeon in the US (an immigration doctor; list of them at uscis.gov) and get the required portion of your I-693 completed.

Sounds like you've got it, to me!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, AP is Advance Parole, which is the travel document you get if you want to leave and return to the USA while waiting for your AOS to process. You don't HAVE to apply for it, but it's free, and you never know...if an emergency comes up back home, it would be nice to have it so you can go there.

Yes, I-797 is called Notice of Action. It can be any kind of notice...USCIS received you case, your AOS appointment notice, etc. USCIS sends these to you, so nothing you have to be concerned with yourself.

What form is I-131?
Form I-131 as it relates to a K-1 visa holder, is the application for Advance Parole (AP). It takes about 60 days to get AP in hand after filing AOS.

Yes, Form I-765 is for the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It takes about 90 days to get EAD in hand after filing AOS. The EAD is good for 1 year. If you get to the 9-month mark and your AOS is not adjudicated yet, you can renew the 1-year EAD.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
You file all forms including the 131 if you're filing it, and the 130 together.
As a K-1 visa holder, the OP does not need to file an I-130.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no I-767.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jmood
Not sure about 767 bu I think you don't need to worry about it.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Actually you do need the i797. Its the approval notice for the i129f petition from the very start that they want.

As for the medical, certain vaccines arent available for age groups in the uk. Also the hpv vaccine given in the uk is not the same as the hpv gardisal vaccine given in the us and gardisal is what is required.

You need to register at a doctors or go to a pharmcy like walgreens. Get any vaccines you need. You only need the first shot of hpv to apply for aos not all 3.
Get proof you've had those vaccines, reciepts, letter from whoever administered the vaccines. Take this and your vaccination worksheet which you should of got at your k1 medical exam, to a uscis approved doctor, they will transcribe it to another form with the updated vaccines. They put this in a sealed envelope and you send it with you aos application.

As for ap and ead, these dont cost anything if you send them with you aos application, so its worth doing incase something comes up.

I cant post the link to my aos thread from my phone, but there is a bunch of information on that and a list of things you need for your application.

Dont forget you need i864 affidavit of support too. And a sponsor is you dont meet the guidelines which are found on i864p.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

list is a list of things you should look at getting for your AOS application:

*I-485 (AOS Application)
which needs:
>*G325a
>*I-94 (white slip you should of got from flying to the US)
>*I-797 (I-129F approval notice)
>*I-693 (Vaccine Supplement)
>*2 US passport sized photos
>*copy of visa
>*copy of all passport pages
>*copy of birth certificate
>*Evidence of On-Going

*I-864 (Affidavit)
>*USC Birth certificate
>* bank letter
>*bank statements
>*employment letter
>*pay slips
>* tax transcripts for last 3 years

*I-765 (EAD)
>*2 photos
>*copy of I-94

*I-131
>*copy of proof of identity (passport identity page/drivers license)
>*copy of visa page in passport
>*copy of I-94
>*photocopy of signed I-485 (proof of filing AOS application)
>*2 photos

as for evidence of relationship:
>*copy of marriage license
>*wedding photos
>*wedding cards
>*letters from family/friends
>*joint bank accounts
>*joint phone plan
>*joint car insurance

Cheque for filling fee of $1010

On bank statements and so forth i highlighted my name where it showed so they could locate my "proof of on-going relationship" quickly, I also wrote in black marker pen "this is a photocopy for application I-131" across the front of my I-485 photocopy and then highlighted it so they couldnt miss it.

I papercliped each application and supporting documents together, with a contents list at the front. and then used a bullclip to put the whole lot together, with a full contents list at the front

This isnt required, but I did to try and make it easier for the people who would be dealing with it and to make it easy to understand and file.

So far so good, NOA's came back, biometrics done and no RFE's!

hope this list helps
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

WOW PepsiChick!! Thankyou so much that was super helpful!! Ill bookmark this and reference it when completing my AoS. The form I797 I think that was sent to my fiance in the states, as all the letters I have received were only from the embassy not the USCIS. Am I correct? If so Ill ask him where he placed it.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread - thankfully my mind is at rest now!! THANKYOU!!
Though no doubt Ill have more questions to come!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:25 am

The form I797 I think that was sent to my fiance in the states, as all the letters I have received were only from the embassy not the USCIS. Am I correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

HI everyone, Im really sorry for asking more questions as this on may sound a little stupid :P
I just got married last week and my husband ( ) and i are finally filling for my AoS. The trouble is we have all the forms required yet Im confused - do I send ALL of them in, of is there just one form I send it at this time and await further instructions from the USCIS??

Please help, i know this might sound silly question but we both have been pondering over them!
Thank you so so so so much to everyone!
Sam
x
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

SS,

The G-485 instructions tell you what needs to be submitted with the form.

Regards, JEff

HI everyone, Im really sorry for asking more questions as this on may sound a little stupid :P
I just got married last week and my husband ( ) and i are finally filling for my AoS. The trouble is we have all the forms required yet Im confused - do I send ALL of them in, of is there just one form I send it at this time and await further instructions from the USCIS??

Please help, i know this might sound silly question but we both have been pondering over them!
Thank you so so so so much to everyone!
Sam
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.