Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question regarding vacinations

question regarding vacinations

Old Sep 25th 2004, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: question regarding vacinations

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
No I have not asked my doctors....I have only just started on my paperwork and I am trying to find out the different options...but as l said in an earlier post...how would I proove I am who I say I am??...anyone could say they were someone else, and request all types of records, all they have to do is send them a copy of some fake ID (I know in my old docs office they wouldn't know what an american military ID looked like)..and then they have your medical records, or any other type of records...I am feeling my way through this process, and trying to find the most cost effective way of doing so...as I don't want to be handing any more money over than I need to!
You could always try and call up your old doctors and speak to someone, it may be easier than you think, and in the long run be much cheaper. You will not of course be asking for your medical notes to be sent to you, just that if they check your notes and transfer any vaccinations to a vaccination record which can be mailed to you.

In terms of proving who you are, i suggest you speak to them (no point putting a further obstacle in your path that may not even exist).

Good Luck!!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:48 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
No I have not asked my doctors....I have only just started on my paperwork and I am trying to find out the different options...but as l said in an earlier post...how would I proove I am who I say I am??...anyone could say they were someone else, and request all types of records, all they have to do is send them a copy of some fake ID (I know in my old docs office they wouldn't know what an american military ID looked like)..and then they have your medical records, or any other type of records...I am feeling my way through this process, and trying to find the most cost effective way of doing so...as I don't want to be handing any more money over than I need to!
they could identify you by any number of reasons over the phone i.e whats your DOB, when did you last visit.
although IMO why would they need to? why would anyone want to obtain your record apart from you? i don't think there is any fraud in this area. i go back to my earlier post is it worth the phone call? let them put obsticles in your way, not you.

alan
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:10 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
they could identify you by any number of reasons over the phone i.e whats your DOB, when did you last visit.
although IMO why would they need to? why would anyone want to obtain your record apart from you? i don't think there is any fraud in this area. i go back to my earlier post is it worth the phone call? let them put obsticles in your way, not you.

alan
Most surgeries will ask you to fill in a release form to be able to get your notes which has to be signed by you. As I recall, you can find this form online and send it to them. I did this when I wanted a private doctor to have access to my NHS notes. With regard to your childhood vaacinations - I very much doubt they will still hold them. A lot of people's experiences on here has been that their records were not kept from that far back. Luckily my Mother had still kept my 'baby book' which had the records of when and where mine were taken. As for the MMR, I got a titre test rather than risk having another one. Judging by the high immunity I already had to this I was pretty glad I did so!

Last edited by Russ&Jayne; Sep 26th 2004 at 2:47 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband got his medical done, on his first visit he was interviewed and told which shots he needed to get. We did have his vaccination records (mom-in-law faxed them over) but there were some additional shots he needed, such as a tetanus shot which apparently you need to have had within the last ten years. He was also given the TB skin prick test, and some other tests. He was not required to get the additional shots at the civil surgeon - in fact, they pointed us to a nearby low-cost shot clinic where he was able to get the shots for $10-$20 each.

He returned a few days later to complete the examination - they had to look at his arm to read the results of his TB skin test. He brought with him evidence that he had received the required additional shots, and they completed the paperwork and sent us on our way.

Some doctors (or maybe even most) want you to get the shots with them, but the law only requires that you have the vaccination, and does not require that you get it from the approved civil surgeon. You have time between the two appointments to get the shots somewhere else if you so choose. Call around - there should be civil surgeons in your area who would be open to this arrangement. They still want your fee for the medical exam, even if they don't get to make money off the shots from you.