Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question regarding vacinations

question regarding vacinations

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default question regarding vacinations

HI everyone

I know i will have to have a medical examination, by one of the doctors on the lists....but what happens whan I don't have any of my medical records here in the USA?

Would it be better for me and cheaper maybe to go to another doctor before the AOS medical and have any blood tests and shots I need, as far as I know I had all my shots as a kid and the required boosters later on...infact I did have a tetenus shot in 2000 along with a hep A shot...(I was planning on going to mexico for a vacation)

Anyones input here would be good...especially since all my medical records (apart from having my last child) are over in the UK

thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question regarding vacinations

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
HI everyone

I know i will have to have a medical examination, by one of the doctors on the lists....but what happens whan I don't have any of my medical records here in the USA?

Would it be better for me and cheaper maybe to go to another doctor before the AOS medical and have any blood tests and shots I need, as far as I know I had all my shots as a kid and the required boosters later on...infact I did have a tetenus shot in 2000 along with a hep A shot...(I was planning on going to mexico for a vacation)

Anyones input here would be good...especially since all my medical records (apart from having my last child) are over in the UK

thanks
If Mommy in the UK can send you your vaccination report from your former doctor that would be great to have to take with you to your doctor or the USCIS authorized physician. However, if that is not possible, then there is little you have to worry about in terms of what is or isn't needed.

I once a long time ago typed in and posted the vaccination supplement sheet for the forum use. I don't have the time or inclination to search the archives for it. I will tell you though that the form, and my husband's medical experience, proves that they will take into account the country you were raised in and your age when it comes to determining what innoculations you will need when you have the USCIS medical.

Rete
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rete
If Mommy in the UK can send you your vaccination report from your former doctor that would be great to have to take with you to your doctor or the USCIS authorized physician. However, if that is not possible, then there is little you have to worry about in terms of what is or isn't needed

Rete

If that were a possibility I would have already done so...but since both my parents are dead, it would be a little hard for me to get anyone to forward my shot records, as I don't think they would just give it to anyone.

Thanks for the reply though...I will do some searching around on the USCIS website
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:23 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: question regarding vacinations

HI everyone

thanks

There's only 3 shots to worry about: the TB skin test (to see if you have tb), DTP (dyptheria, tetanus and pertussis), and MMR (measles mumps rubella). there's no Hep A shot required. I dont know if a separate trip to a different would be cheaper, but I'm sure it's more practical to just get the shots from the INS certified doctor.

edit: I forgot to mention the HIV blood test that's 3 days for the results.
edit again: to consider Rete's post, I came from the Philippines, and these are the shots they required of me.

Last edited by celinelopez; Sep 22nd 2004 at 3:28 pm. Reason: added info
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celinelopez
There's only 3 shots to worry about: the TB skin test (to see if you have tb), DTP (dyptheria, tetanus and pertussis), and MMR (measles mumps rubella). there's no Hep A shot required. I dont know if a separate trip to a different would be cheaper, but I'm sure it's more practical to just get the shots from the INS certified doctor.

edit: I forgot to mention the HIV blood test that's 3 days for the results.
edit again: to consider Rete's post, I came from the Philippines, and these are the shots they required of me.

thanks for the information celinelopez, I really appreciate it

I don't have insurance sooo I contacted a local clinic, and they said the shots would cost me $10 each and the blood tests would be $15...I will have to find out how much I will have to pay if I were to get them done at a 'certified' doctors and compare...but I don't think I would be able to beat those prices!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have insurance sooo I contacted a local clinic, and they said the shots would cost me $10 each and the blood tests would be $15...I will have to find out how much I will have to pay if I were to get them done at a 'certified' doctors and compare...but I don't think I would be able to beat those prices!!
You will have no choice but to go to a doctor on the USCIS list. They fill out specific forms, listing what tests were done and the results and then place the originals into a sealed envelope for you to take to the interview. You could possibly get the shots and tests done at the local clinic, but you will still have to make the trip to a USCIS approved doctor in order for them to fill out the correct forms and place them into a sealed envelope. And I'm sure they'll still charge you for simply filling out forms.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:49 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: question regarding vacinations

HI everyone

thanks

Hey there

If you took the K1 or K3 route you could bring the Ds-158 with you!
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:18 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: question regarding vacinations

Oh, actually, the hiv blood test comes with the whole medical exam, so youre gonna be paying for that anyway so I suggest not taking that one anymore. the shots, I think, are a lot cheaper. when i had mine done, i paid less than 200 for the shots and the exam. without the shots (since the med exam expired before i filed, i had to do it again), it's down to $120. Whatever works for you I do suggest calling the ins doctor first and see what they'd recommend. good luck!
Old Sep 24th 2004, 1:03 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

If that were a possibility I would have already done so...but since both my parents are dead, it would be a little hard for me to get anyone to forward my shot records, as I don't think they would just give it to anyone.

Thanks for the reply though...I will do some searching around on the USCIS website
just as a thought could you maybe write to your old doctors in the uk and ask them to send you details i think they have to keep records for maybe 5 years. just a thought may save you money.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by evoal2003
just as a thought could you maybe write to your old doctors in the uk and ask them to send you details i think they have to keep records for maybe 5 years. just a thought may save you money.
If I was to write to my doctors (which I had thought of) how would I proove it was me requesting them?...after all I could be anyone really, and it's not like I would be there in person...even if I sent them a copy of my ID and name change proof, they may still not send the records, I think the last time I visited the docs office there was about 3 years ago...by the way do you know if they would require a payment for my shot records??

thanks
Old Sep 24th 2004, 1:45 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

If I was to write to my doctors (which I had thought of) how would I proove it was me requesting them?...after all I could be anyone really, and it's not like I would be there in person...even if I sent them a copy of my ID and name change proof, they may still not send the records, I think the last time I visited the docs office there was about 3 years ago...by the way do you know if they would require a payment for my shot records??

thanks
The overall cost including all shots and bloodwork can be as little as $200, I did the same as you and was worried a lot about the cost and thinking how I could minimize it. At the end of the day I called around a ton of the listed USCIS surgeons and went with the cheapest (if there are any surgeons based in the not so good parts of town they may be cheaper as the upper end of towns here the doctors rates for the exam were much more expensive).

Patrick
Old Sep 24th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
The overall cost including all shots and bloodwork can be as little as $200, I did the same as you and was worried a lot about the cost and thinking how I could minimize it. At the end of the day I called around a ton of the listed USCIS surgeons and went with the cheapest (if there are any surgeons based in the not so good parts of town they may be cheaper as the upper end of towns here the doctors rates for the exam were much more expensive).

Patrick
I have called around a few of the USCIS docs on the list...the ones within reasonable travelling distance are all between $85, and $150 just for the physical examination, and I got a letter this morning from one stating that all my blood tests and shots were to be done before the appt!!!...so it looks like I will be going to the local clinic for the shots and blood tests afterall.

I am in rural kansas so there isn't much choice in this state...I think there was around 7 or 8 docs in all here...and most of them are over 80 miles away...some as much as 200 -300 miles.

Last edited by hopelessinks; Sep 24th 2004 at 3:43 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 24th 2004, 3:43 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

I have called around a few of the USCIS docs on the list...the ones within reasonable travelling distance are all between $85, and $150 just for the physical examination, and I got a letter this morning from one stating that all my blood tests and shots were to be done before the appt!!!...so it looks like I will be going to the local clinic for the shots and blood tests afterall.
Well the exam does run around $100 BUT you should also be able to get the shots AND bloodwork done for about another $100. That is what it cost me here in SF Bay area and things aren't cheap here.
Patrick
Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:45 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

you not asked them then ok your choice
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

you not asked them then ok your choice
No I have not asked my doctors....I have only just started on my paperwork and I am trying to find out the different options...but as l said in an earlier post...how would I proove I am who I say I am??...anyone could say they were someone else, and request all types of records, all they have to do is send them a copy of some fake ID (I know in my old docs office they wouldn't know what an american military ID looked like)..and then they have your medical records, or any other type of records...I am feeling my way through this process, and trying to find the most cost effective way of doing so...as I don't want to be handing any more money over than I need to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.