Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding I-130 Processing Times (VSC)

Wikiposts

Question Regarding I-130 Processing Times (VSC)

Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

marcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud ofmarcsred has much to be proud of
Exclamation Question Regarding I-130 Processing Times (VSC)

Hey all. I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but I had a question about the processing times listed on the USCIS site. I got notification that our application had been opened for processing (received AFTER notification that they got our money) as of February 13th (YAY!). This is what the notification says online (I haven't received it in the mail yet):
Application Type: I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN

Current Status: Case received and pending.

On February 13, 2008, we received this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.
So that means that it is being processed at the Vermont Service Center, correct? If that is correct, the next part of my question is this:

I went to the following link (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/Pro...viceCenter=VSC), where it says:
I-130 Petition for Alien Relative US Citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21 August 19, 2007
Does that mean people who have filed up until August 19th have RECEIVED their visas?

Or does it just mean that the US part is done for those who filed before August 19th and they have now been forwarded onto the second part of the application, where the petitioner's spouse deals with the US Consulate abroad?

If this is the case, how much longer does the second step typically take (I'm particularly interested in Australia)?

Basically, what I think it's saying, is that it's taking about 6 months (mid-August to mid-February) to either GET the visa (a little too hopeful, I think) or 6 months to get the first part done. Can someone who knows please let me know?

I also find it disgusting that I-129s for "Athletes, artists, and entertainers" is only taking two months. Obviously it's more important for those people to get their visas than for American citizens to get to be with their spouses. How silly of me to think it would be the other way around.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Regarding I-130 Processing Times (VSC)

Originally Posted by marcsred
Does that mean people who have filed up until August 19th have RECEIVED their visas?
No. It means only that they have begun to process applications received prior to that date. There's no way to know how long it will take for you, since there's no way of knowing how many people are ahead of you in line. However, you should budget about 3 to 4 months once your date becomes current to complete the US part of the process and then another 4 to 6 months to complete the overseas portion.

Obviously it's more important for those people to get their visas than for American citizens to get to be with their spouses.
Your anger is misplaced. They process what they have to process... and there's probably only 2,500 applications for those people and 250,000 in the family-based category. It's all numbers... nothing to do with who's who!

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcsred

Or does it just mean that the US part is done for those who filed before August 19th and they have now been forwarded onto the second part of the application, where the petitioner's spouse deals with the US Consulate abroad?

If this is the case, how much longer does the second step typically take (I'm particularly interested in Australia)?
The posted processing time for these family-based petitions will probably always be at 6+ months; "6 months" is the processing goal for that petition type.

Reality can vary from that quite a bit. This is the "first part" of the visa process, aka the petition. USCIS is in charge of adjudication, and when they are done, they will pass the approved petition over to the Dept of State at the National Visa Center. The visa application will begin there.

There is no telling how long YOUR I-130 will take, but it will be some time between zero and 6 months, barring any problems. How's that for exact?

There is a flowchart here for the Immigrant Visa process that might be of use to you.

The second stage, the NVC, is detailed here. This part takes 2-4 months, depending.

National Visa Center (NVC) IV PROCESS & FLOWCHART
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:00 am
Just Joined

amn123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marcred,

I am also looking for same piece of information.

latest dates on https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/Pro...viceCenter=VSC say Nov 26,2007.

Has your application processes or still status is 'Case received and pending'?

Amn