Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question regarding foreign spouses parents at wedding

Wikiposts

question regarding foreign spouses parents at wedding

Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default question regarding foreign spouses parents at wedding

my husband and i married while i was on a visa waiver in the states.. When my mum found out we were engaged she was distraught she wouldnt be able to come to the wedding, and booked a flight for her, my stepdad and sister to come over in a space of about two weeks
my question is what kind of proof i would have to provide to the INS that them coming here for the wedding was quite literally planned and executed in about two weeks! i know that they often find it suspicious.

my mums boss has offered to write something saying that my mum asked for emergency leave to come over for it.

If anyone can assist me i would be grateful!
thanks

ps i forgot to add that i do have emails from a friend of the family saying how upset my mum was that she wouldnt be able to come, and emails from my dad saying he would like to come, but couldnt, i dont know if that helps...

Last edited by eggysbrain; Jun 5th 2004 at 5:25 am.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 6:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question regarding foreign spouses parents at wedding

Originally posted by eggysbrain
my husband and i married while i was on a visa waiver in the states.. When my mum found out we were engaged she was distraught she wouldnt be able to come to the wedding, and booked a flight for her, my stepdad and sister to come over in a space of about two weeks
my question is what kind of proof i would have to provide to the INS that them coming here for the wedding was quite literally planned and executed in about two weeks! i know that they often find it suspicious.

my mums boss has offered to write something saying that my mum asked for emergency leave to come over for it.

If anyone can assist me i would be grateful!
thanks

ps i forgot to add that i do have emails from a friend of the family saying how upset my mum was that she wouldnt be able to come, and emails from my dad saying he would like to come, but couldnt, i dont know if that helps...
Are the parent's citizens of visa waiver countries as well? Have they ever taken long visits to the US, or violated any immigration laws? If they have return tickets and evidence of foreign employment, residence, funds then they shouldn't have any problem at all. The guys at the border have better things to do that shake down a middle aged couple coming for a wedding unless there has been a history of suspicious travel. Bona fide visitors don't have much to fear at the border.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light

sorry, i dont think i made it clear enough lol, the wedding has already taken place, but i know INS often find it suspicious at the AOS interview if foreign parents attended...originally they werent going to come, but my mum was upset at the thought of missing it and rushed over

i was just wondering what kind of proof INS would want that the foreign parents attended spur of the moment, if any.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:56 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by eggysbrain
sorry, i dont think i made it clear enough lol, the wedding has already taken place, but i know INS often find it suspicious at the AOS interview if foreign parents attended...originally they werent going to come, but my mum was upset at the thought of missing it and rushed over

i was just wondering what kind of proof INS would want that the foreign parents attended spur of the moment, if any.
I don't think they'll care. They want to know if the marriage is bona fide.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the responses