Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question re medical in London

Wikiposts

Question re medical in London

Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Question re medical in London

Hi i wondered if anyone can help.

I rang NVC yesterday to see if they knew when our interviews would be. We knew our case was completed on Wed 13th August. To my surprise they said 4th September which is great, except we dont know if we will get our medical done before. I rang to book appt with doctor. The receptionist said i couldn't do this until i had received the letter (she said verbal confirmation wasn't good enough) We thought we might try and do the medical the same day as the interview. I have just been on the doctors website and it says you have to bring your passport to the medical. The trouble is if we have our interview in the morning the embassy will keep our passports.
I remember reading a thread where someone did do it this way. I can't find it now. Just wondered if anyone out there has any info.
Thank you in anticipation.

Chris
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re medical in London

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum

I rang NVC yesterday to see if they knew when our interviews would be. We knew our case was completed on Wed 13th August. To my surprise they said 4th September which is great, except we dont know if we will get our medical done before. I rang to book appt with doctor. The receptionist said i couldn't do this until i had received the letter (she said verbal confirmation wasn't good enough) We thought we might try and do the medical the same day as the interview. I have just been on the doctors website and it says you have to bring your passport to the medical. The trouble is if we have our interview in the morning the embassy will keep our passports.
I remember reading a thread where someone did do it this way. I can't find it now. Just wondered if anyone out there has any info.

Chris
If you're doing this in London, Knightsbridge Doctors can usually get you in within a few days.

However, you are supposed to have the medical first - and it takes a few days to get the results to the embassy. So if you do what you are suggesting - your visa cannot be approved that day. I'm not sure what they'll do if you go for an interview without having the medical first - as you are supposed to.

Generally, people either seem to make a separate trip to London to get the medical done ahead - or get it done shortly before the interview, with the understanding they may not get their visa that day.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
If you're doing this in London, Knightsbridge Doctors can usually get you in within a few days.

However, you are supposed to have the medical first - and it takes a few days to get the results to the embassy. So if you do what you are suggesting - your visa cannot be approved that day. I'm not sure what they'll do if you go for an interview without having the medical first - as you are supposed to.

Generally, people either seem to make a separate trip to London to get the medical done ahead - or get it done shortly before the interview, with the understanding they may not get their visa that day.
Lots of people go to the medical after their interview--although, I haven't seen recently what people do about their passports.. maybe send them *back* to the Embassy afterward.

The visa can't be issued until they get the medical results delivered, but then the passport/visa thing can be done by the regular courier.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Lots of people go to the medical after their interview--although, I haven't seen recently what people do about their passports.. maybe send them *back* to the Embassy afterward.

The visa can't be issued until they get the medical results delivered, but then the passport/visa thing can be done by the regular courier.
Ok - I wouldn't have thought.

I think either the embassy keeps your passport (if they're pretty sure the visa will be issued) or you do have to courier it to them. In either case, it would be couriered back.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Ok - I wouldn't have thought.
It's the same as if you're missing any document at the interview (recent police certificate changeover is another example). You're 'provisionally approved' until they get the doc, or different phrases are used. Basically, the interview is one 'piece' that you've passed, complete document set is another. Think of countries where people are put in long AP/AR reviews and the visas aren't issued until months after the interview.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Hi
Thanks to both of you for the replies. We will try and get the medicals before the interview. It's just if we dont get the paper work in time. I'm sure everything will work out fine. We are so lucky to get an appointment so quick.

Chris

It's the same as if you're missing any document at the interview (recent police certificate changeover is another example). You're 'provisionally approved' until they get the doc, or different phrases are used. Basically, the interview is one 'piece' that you've passed, complete document set is another. Think of countries where people are put in long AP/AR reviews and the visas aren't issued until months after the interview.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:47 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee had his medical a month before the interview. It was an inconvienence since he lives in Scotland but hedid it and it was worth it. Knightsbridge doctors told them they get the results to the embassy in about 3 or 4 days. They have to keep your passport at the embassy because your visa gets put into your passport. The embassy send the passport back by courier .
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Sorry i didn't update on this thread. I did it on another one when speaking to other people. We have been away visiting our son, no access to internet in that part of Ireland. I did ring the doctors again last Tuesday while we were away. This time they made the appointments straight away no questions this time about having paper work before i could make appts. It was a mistake to ring on a friday afternoon, I'm sure thats why the receptionist said i needed paper work first. She was ready to finish for the weekend.
We get medicals this Fri 29th so we should be fine for interview on 4th Sept.
Our daughter just got our paper work in USA on Friday. Son in Law emailed it to us so it doesn't mater if ours doesn't arrive on time. We have everything we need.
Thanks again for reply.

Chris
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:19 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Chris
I'm no expert on this, I had my interview in London nearly 4 years ago. I stayed at a hotel across the street from the doctors office, went there, then after that, headed over to the embassy.. dunno if they've changed things though
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
I'm no expert on this, I had my interview in London nearly 4 years ago. I stayed at a hotel across the street from the doctors office, went there, then after that, headed over to the embassy.. dunno if they've changed things though
Those days have long gone ....
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I live about 300 miles from London so I booked my medical for the day before the visa interview, then I'd have my passport, then stayed overnight and went to the interview, then travelled home again.

Seemed the easiest way.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Hi

I had a medical last week and remembered the day before that the IPS had it for kids passports. I rang the Knightsbridge Medical people and they were happy with a copy of my photo page on the passport and a drivers license to look at it.

So you don't need your passport for the medical if you want to do it after.

Goat.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice

Chris
Chris don't you have your medicals booked for the 29th August ?
Michelle
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Yes our medicals are tomorrow. We were concerned we wouldn't get our medical before our interview when the doctors said we couldn't make our appt without our interview letter. When i rang again last week they made appt without asking for the letter. So we were ok.
We still have not received any information, but our daughter did last friday. Our son in law emailed it to us, so we are all set even if ours doesn't arrive in time.
We are very happy and excited

Chris
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice

Hi
Yes our medicals are tomorrow. We were concerned we wouldn't get our medical before our interview when the doctors said we couldn't make our appt without our interview letter. When i rang again last week they made appt without asking for the letter. So we were ok.
We still have not received any information, but our daughter did last friday. Our son in law emailed it to us, so we are all set even if ours doesn't arrive in time.
We are very happy and excited

Chris
Hi Chris

I want to wish you both good luck at your medical and interview I'm sure it will all go well
I have my medical booked for the 5th Sept and interview 12th Sept. My flights and Hotel are booked It's great to be at the last stage but i will feel a lot better once i have approvals and visas's in hand

Not long now

Michelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.