Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question re Medical Exam and vaccinations for AOS

Wikiposts

question re Medical Exam and vaccinations for AOS

Old Apr 24th 2002, 7:40 am
sponsor

Default question re Medical Exam and vaccinations for AOS

I'm wondering what vaccinations are required for AOS and, does my wife have to get
all new vaccinations if I can provide a list of the vaccinations she has already had
in Mexico?

Or will they just require new ones in any case?

This concerns me because
1)I don't think it's healthy to have vaccinations you've already had; and
2)since we have to go to an INS approved doctor instead of our HMO family doctor, it
may cost a bundle to get all those vaccinations... the medical exam itself is $170!

If they do require vaccinations, couldn't I just get those done through our
insurance at our HMO doctor, or do those have to be GIVEN by the INS approved doc?
In other words, if the INS doc says "She needs x, y and z vaccinations" couldn't I
have those done by our family doctor and provide proof they were given? Or does
EVERYthing have to be done by the expensive INS approved doc?

Old Apr 24th 2002, 4:10 pm
Mrs_blackross

Default Re: question re Medical Exam and vaccinations for AOS

well when I had my medical for AOS last year, I had to prove to the Dr that I had all
the required vaccinations. This included MMR, Hib and the other standard (usually)
children's shots, though Chicken Pox wasn't a required one for me, as I had the
disease as a child. Luckily I was able to get those records from my family Dr back
home, but I was told if I hadn't, I would have had to get the shots here before he
would approve my medical.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm "Donna Maindrault"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > INS might say that adults need varicella
    >
    > They pretty much follow the introduction date of the vaccine and the current CDC
    > recommendations. In other words, they don't seem to ask an immigrant to have any
    > vaccines that an American of the same age wouldn't have had.
    >
    > For instance, Hepatitis B is transmitted by blood and sex, but the current US
    > practice is to give it to infants and not adults. Thus a child immigrating would be
    > expected to get it, but an adult would not be expected to have it since it wasn't
    > available when that person was born. I know, it's weird.
    >
    > Vaccines like Hib and varicella are also for children only, even though the only
    > person who should be vaccinated for chicken pox would logically be a person who
    > didn't have it as a child.
    >
    > One surprise is the measles vaccine. Since it turned out not to convey lifetime
    > immunity, it's currently recommended that adults who had the shot and not the
    > disease have it when entering college. We'll probably need it for nursing homes
    > too, when the time comes!
    >
    > In any case, the INS-approved doctor in NYC followed current practices regarding
    > informed consent and privacy, etc. He did make the "sealed envelope," but only
    > after showing my husband the contents and giving him a copy. He also gave my
    > husband a copy of the chest X-ray. He accepted my husband's mother's records of his
    > childhood vaccination, and waived all the ones he hadn't had as "not
    > age-appropriate."
    >
    > -Donna

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 am
Andy Platt

For an adult (below a certain age) the usual vaccinations are TB/dyptheria, MMR &
varicella (unless she's already had chicken pox). Proof of vaccination is necessary,
any doctor can provide them and her insurance may pay for it if they think it's
medically important. (INS might say that adults need varicella but an HMO might
decide it's only important for children).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm wondering what vaccinations are required for AOS and, does my wife have to get
    > all new vaccinations if I can provide a list of the vaccinations she has already
    > had in Mexico?
    >
    > Or will they just require new ones in any case?
    >
    > This concerns me because
    > 1)I don't think it's healthy to have vaccinations you've already had; and
    > 2)since we have to go to an INS approved doctor instead of our HMO family doctor,
    > it may cost a bundle to get all those vaccinations... the medical exam itself
    > is $170!
    >
    > If they do require vaccinations, couldn't I just get those done through our
    > insurance at our HMO doctor, or do those have to be GIVEN by the INS approved doc?
    > In other words, if the INS doc says "She needs x, y and z vaccinations" couldn't I
    > have those done by our family doctor and provide proof they were given? Or does
    > EVERYthing have to be done by the expensive INS approved doc?

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 am
Donna Maindraul

In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> INS might say that adults need varicella

They pretty much follow the introduction date of the vaccine and the current CDC
recommendations. In other words, they don't seem to ask an immigrant to have any
vaccines that an American of the same age wouldn't have had.

For instance, Hepatitis B is transmitted by blood and sex, but the current US
practice is to give it to infants and not adults. Thus a child immigrating would be
expected to get it, but an adult would not be expected to have it since it wasn't
available when that person was born. I know, it's weird.

Vaccines like Hib and varicella are also for children only, even though the only
person who should be vaccinated for chicken pox would logically be a person who
didn't have it as a child.

One surprise is the measles vaccine. Since it turned out not to convey lifetime
immunity, it's currently recommended that adults who had the shot and not the disease
have it when entering college. We'll probably need it for nursing homes too, when the
time comes!

In any case, the INS-approved doctor in NYC followed current practices regarding
informed consent and privacy, etc. He did make the "sealed envelope," but only after
showing my husband the contents and giving him a copy. He also gave my husband a copy
of the chest X-ray. He accepted my husband's mother's records of his childhood
vaccination, and waived all the ones he hadn't had as "not age-appropriate."

-Donna