Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question re AOS sworn statements from family/friends

Question re AOS sworn statements from family/friends

Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question re AOS sworn statements from family/friends

Mark and I are trying to get as much stuff organized for our AOS interview as early as we can. I'm curious about the sworn statements we must submit, however.

According to the AOS interview letter we received, it states:

If you are submitting affidavits as evidence of birth and/or marriage, they must be notarized statements from three (3) people who have personal knowledge of the event. Statements must include the affiant's name, address, immigration status, relationship (if any) to you, information being asserted, and discuss how knowledge of the event was acquired.

Ok, here are my questions:

1) Do these people have to be USCs, or does it matter? It mentions "immigration status" but what if they aren't immigrating to the US, if they're UKCs we know from Mark's hometown?

2) Is it bad if the only people we can get to do these statements are family members? This probably makes us sound like total dorks, and is more than slightly embarrassing, but we really don't have any friends who could provide these statements. All the people I know here in Richmond are people I work with, people who have never met Mark or vice-versa. Since I work the nightshift and have a weird schedule (Fri-Mon, 8pm to 7am), getting together with my colleagues outside work is pretty much out of the question. The friends we DO have mutually don't live in Richmond and did not attend our wedding; in fact, we haven't seen them in over a year. So that leaves family members -- is this alright? Or will it look "suspicious," like we're trying to pull a fast one (which we're not!)??

Any insight would be much appreciated...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re AOS sworn statements from family/friends

Jenney,

Why are you considering these affidavits? Don't you have birth and marriage certificates as evidence of birth and marriage?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Mark and I are trying to get as much stuff organized for our AOS interview as early as we can. I'm curious about the sworn statements we must submit, however.

If you are submitting affidavits as evidence of birth and/or marriage, they must be notarized statements from three (3) people who have personal knowledge of the event. Statements must include the affiant's name, address, immigration status, relationship (if any) to you, information being asserted, and discuss how knowledge of the event was acquired.

1) Do these people have to be USCs, or does it matter? It mentions "immigration status" but what if they aren't immigrating to the US, if they're UKCs we know from Mark's hometown?

2) Is it bad if the only people we can get to do these statements are family members? This probably makes us sound like total dorks, and is more than slightly embarrassing, but we really don't have any friends who could provide these statements. All the people I know here in Richmond are people I work with, people who have never met Mark or vice-versa. Since I work the nightshift and have a weird schedule (Fri-Mon, 8pm to 7am), getting together with my colleagues outside work is pretty much out of the question. The friends we DO have mutually don't live in Richmond and did not attend our wedding; in fact, we haven't seen them in over a year. So that leaves family members -- is this alright? Or will it look "suspicious," like we're trying to pull a fast one (which we're not!)??

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:51 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Jenney,

Why are you considering these affidavits? Don't you have birth and marriage certificates as evidence of birth and marriage?

Regards, JEff
On the page which lists what documentation is required to bring to the interview it states (among other things) the following:

Marriage Based Interview

1. Your SPOUSE and proof of his/her US citizenship.

2. Documents that establish a shared life:

• Affidavits from at least three (3) people who have knowledge of your current marital status. Please follow the guidelines for affidavits outlined in #2 above;

etc.....

Section #2 was what I quoted in my first post:

I apologize if I didn't word it right the first time; I assumed people who have gone through this process would know about these affidavits/sworn statements...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Apparently this is not really required for AOS. Mr. F. commented on it recently. Do a search for his recent posts.

On the page which lists what documentation is required to bring to the interview it states (among other things) the following:

Marriage Based Interview

• Affidavits from at least three (3) people who have knowledge of your current marital status. Please follow the guidelines for affidavits outlined in #2 above;

etc.....

I apologize if I didn't word it right the first time; I assumed people who have gone through this process would know about these affidavits/sworn statements...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Apparently this is not really required for AOS. Mr. F. commented on it recently. Do a search for his recent posts.

I wish I had known this as those are a pain in the ass.

Marriage Based Interview

etc.....

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

~ Jenney
Hi:

You have to be a little clearer on what the problem is. Can you describe what the event for which you don't have official documentation?

Jenny -- how did you become a US citizen? If you have a passport or naturalization certificate, that will suffice. If you are native born US citizen, then your birth certificate will suffice.

Is it Richard's birth certificate? Do note that the Foreign Affairs Manual Appendices will be looked at to show availablity of documents. So if you have to give the affidavits to show his birth, be prepared to show why Richard's birth certificate is not available.

If you got married in the United States, it appears clear that the official certificate will suffice. If you got married outside of the United States, again, look at the FAM appendices to see about what marriage documentation will look like.

In answer to your direct question -- no, the affidavits need NOT be from US citizens. Quite often, they are not, especially in the case of missing birth certificates from abroad.

I hope this helps.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:04 am
I'm back!

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
You have to be a little clearer on what the problem is. Can you describe what the event for which you don't have official documentation?
I'm sorry for the confusion -- as I mentioned in my second posting, I'm actually talking about the sworn statements required from family/friends, indicating their knowledge of the legitimacy of our marriage and our shared life.

Jenny -- how did you become a US citizen? If you have a passport or naturalization certificate, that will suffice. If you are native born US citizen, then your birth certificate will suffice.
I was born in the US to USCs, and I'll supply my birth certificate.

Is it Richard's birth certificate?
Who's Richard?? I think you meant Mark... In any case, we have his UK birth certificate.

If you got married in the United States, it appears clear that the official certificate will suffice. If you got married outside of the United States, again, look at the FAM appendices to see about what marriage documentation will look like.
We were married in the US, and have a Virginia marriage license.

In answer to your direct question -- no, the affidavits need NOT be from US citizens. Quite often, they are not, especially in the case of missing birth certificates from abroad.
I'm assuming you're talking about affidavits to prove where we were born and/or married. I'm assuming you're NOT talking about the sworn statements required to support the notion of a legitimate marriage and a shared life. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny,

I have been through an AOS, that of my ex-wife, and at our local office such affidavits were not required.

Bummer if the Richmond office requires them, rather than merely suggests them as one possible type of evidence. Plan a quick Meet Mark and Sign an Affidavit party for your co-workers!

Regards, JEff

Marriage Based Interview

etc.....

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry for the confusion -- as I mentioned in my second posting, I'm actually talking about the sworn statements required from family/friends, indicating their knowledge of the legitimacy of our marriage and our shared life.

I was born in the US to USCs, and I'll supply my birth certificate.

Who's Richard?? I think you meant Mark... In any case, we have his UK birth certificate.

We were married in the US, and have a Virginia marriage license.

I'm assuming you're talking about affidavits to prove where we were born and/or married. I'm assuming you're NOT talking about the sworn statements required to support the notion of a legitimate marriage and a shared life. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

~ Jenney
Hi:

I guess I went from "Richmond" to "Richard" -- mea culpa. I have some fond memories of Richmond from when I was stationed at Fort Lee.

As a general rule, affidavits are NOT needed [except for the affidavit of support] EXCEPT when something is missing and can't be otherwise established. Affidavits are often the weakest evidence available in immigration cases.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:44 pm
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough

Jenney-

We just brought one statement into the interview from Andrew's mom. She didnt even ask for it. Nor did she ask for a lot of things listed (3 past tax statements, all of INS issued documents, and coorespondence). I guess we had sufficient evidence that she didnt need to look at all those other things.

So, unless you are hurting for supporting evidence, I wouldnt worry to much about these affidavits...that's just my opinion!

Robin