Wikiposts

Question on Packet 4

Old Jun 18th 2002, 1:20 am
Johnpunkinbutt

Default Question on Packet 4

Well I have only just no got around to read through the documents within Packet
4. I am a little confused (doesnt seem to take much to make this happen)

Ok, all I got was the cover letter telling me about my interview date, etc. A sheet
of paper with a giro cheque for £46.00 which I've to pay. The top half of this sheet
is called DS-156 instructions. There's alot of stuff on that doesnt apply to me - it
says I must prove that I intend on going back to the UK? Required by all visa
applicants. Do I need to worry about this stuff that doesnt apply to my situation?

The only other sheets I got were information about the medical and interview, and a
USA medical Questionare. I have a feeling there are some documents missing, such as a
DS-156? And maybe a IV21K?

What do I need to do exactly, do I need to get my giro paid and stamped and then
forward that on to the Embassy? or do I need to get ahold of a DS-156 document and
have this stamped along with the giro and forward them both to the Embassy? I am so
confused - I wish they could make it more clear.

Thanks for any help offered

John

Old Jun 18th 2002, 1:20 am
Johnpunkinbutt

Default Re: Question on Packet 4

It's the last call I make to the US Embassy Hotline! But I called them up once more.
They said the information above the payable giro wasnt directed towards me, this
information was for applicants who are applying for a normal non-imigrant visa! So I
wonder why it was in my packet if its for a totally different type of visa? I was
told that the DS-156 and giro are now two serperate documents and no longer one sheet
of paper. Not only that, but they are now telling me that the giro should be paid on
the day of the interview at the Embassy and not at a bank. I thought you couldnt do
this? hmm.

The lady on the phone told me that she'll have the DS-156 in the post today first
class. Thats good at least

Has anyone else had ot pay their application fee on the day of the interview at the
Embassy? and has anoyne had this new giro sheet? with the DS-156 on a seperate sheet?

Sheesh.

Old Jun 18th 2002, 8:20 am
Jacque Robertso

Ive received my packet 4 last week exactly the same way as you, with no DS156
included. I presumed that they dont send it to us because they should have already
received it from the packet 3 forms that were returned (or at least I did) And I was
going to ignore the stuff that doesnt apply, such as the SAE to return your passport
in, as I know that you get to claim it back from them at the end of the interview
day. Also I know that some of these forms are used for a multitude of visas, not just
K1, so not all questions might apply. However, Im now doubting my thinking after your
call to the embassy. Do they definitely need another DS156? Or did I misread the
instructions and have sent mine in too early? And that is the first Ive heard about
paying visa fee on the day. Can anybody else help here? Another thing to bear in mind
though - the INS is very complicated, and its not uncommon from what Ive read in this
newsgroup for people to be given wrong information from Consulates and INS etc. Any
other opinions will be appreciated! Thank you.

PS When is your interview John? Mine is July 15th

Kindest regards Jacqueline

Old Jun 19th 2002, 12:20 am
John Hughes

"jacque robertson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ive received my packet 4 last week exactly the same way as you, with no DS156
    > included. I presumed that they dont send it to us because they should have already
    > received it from the packet 3 forms that were returned (or at least I did) And I
    > was going to ignore the stuff that doesnt apply, such as the SAE to return your
    > passport in, as I know that you get to claim it back from them at the end of the
    > interview day. Also I know that some of these forms are used for a multitude of
    > visas, not just K1, so not all questions might apply. However, Im now doubting my
    > thinking after your call to the embassy. Do they definitely need another DS156? Or
    > did I misread the instructions and have sent mine in too early? And that is the
    > first Ive heard about paying visa fee on the day. Can anybody else help here?
    > Another thing to bear in mind though - the INS is very complicated, and its not
    > uncommon from what Ive read in this newsgroup for people to be given wrong
    > information from Consulates and INS etc. Any other opinions will be appreciated!
    > Thank you.
    >
    > PS When is your interview John? Mine is July 15th
    >
    > Kindest regards Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

Well today I received my DS-156 in the post, so I guess you do need to have one on
you for the interview for some reason. The lady on the phone told me that there
should have been a DS-156 sent out with my packet, and it seems this has happened
to alot of people recently. (oopsie) But just give them a call, and they'll send
you one out, or even download it from the website and print it out on your own.
The one I got was exactly like the one you can get online. As for paying for the
visa on the day, well this seems stange, but it was what I was told, so I am going
to go ahead and do it. I dont imagine someone telling you this on the hotline, and
being wrong. She said I've not to take it to the bank, but to the Embassy.. so
what are you gonna do?

My interveiw is on the 8th of July. Getting closer and closer, and I still dont have
my Police Certificate and I-134!! lol. I am going to become a nervous wreck at the
end of this month.

Hope this helped some...

Take care,

John

Old Jun 19th 2002, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

punksk8r79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my interview on Monday 17th June, and you had to have already paid the fee at the bank prior to arriving at the embassy, there was no way you could pay the fee at the embassy, and then i brought the form along with me to the interview, unless things have changed since a couple of days ago, i would check about paying the fee at the embassy.
Dave
Old Jun 19th 2002, 7:20 am
Johnpunkinbutt

jeezo.. now I am majorly confused. Why would I be told to pay it at the Embassy if
thats wrong? If they were really wrong, that I worry alot about other applicants who
have no online connection

Old Jun 19th 2002, 7:20 am

"JOHNPunkinbutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > jeezo.. now I am majorly confused. Why would I be told to pay it at the Embassy if
    > thats wrong? If they were really wrong, that I worry alot about other applicants
    > who have no online connection

Don't know if you're applying for K1 but for *some* types of visa (not K1) applicants
DO INDEED pay at the embassy (they have a cashier's window inside, but if you;re a K1
you won't go to it or get sent to it, but you will probably see other folk getting
told to go there).

For K1, as I did it a little way back and as the other poster mentioned, you pay
beforehand at a bank and take the proof-of-payment with you. If you don't, you cannot
pay for it inside the Embassy, you'd need to go find a bank.

Old Jun 19th 2002, 2:20 pm
Grahame And Lau

On 19 Jun 2002 04:55:23 -0700, [email protected] (John Hughes) wrote:

>"jacque robertson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Ive received my packet 4 last week exactly the same way as you, with no DS156
    >> included. I presumed that they dont send it to us because they should have already
    >> received it from the packet 3 forms that were returned (or at least I did) And I
    >> was going to ignore the stuff that doesnt apply, such as the SAE to return your
    >> passport in, as I know that you get to claim it back from them at the end of the
    >> interview day. Also I know that some of these forms are used for a multitude of
    >> visas, not just K1, so not all questions might apply. However, Im now doubting my
    >> thinking after your call to the embassy. Do they definitely need another DS156? Or
    >> did I misread the instructions and have sent mine in too early? And that is the
    >> first Ive heard about paying visa fee on the day. Can anybody else help here?
    >> Another thing to bear in mind though - the INS is very complicated, and its not
    >> uncommon from what Ive read in this newsgroup for people to be given wrong
    >> information from Consulates and INS etc. Any other opinions will be appreciated!
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> PS When is your interview John? Mine is July 15th
    >>
    >> Kindest regards Jacqueline
    >
    >Hi Jacqueline,
    >
    > Well today I received my DS-156 in the post, so I guess you do need to have one
    > on you for the interview for some reason. The lady on the phone told me that
    > there should have been a DS-156 sent out with my packet, and it seems this has
    > happened to alot of people recently. (oopsie) But just give them a call, and
    > they'll send you one out, or even download it from the website and print it out
    > on your own. The one I got was exactly like the one you can get online. As for
    > paying for the visa on the day, well this seems stange, but it was what I was
    > told, so I am going to go ahead and do it. I dont imagine someone telling you
    > this on the hotline, and being wrong. She said I've not to take it to the bank,
    > but to the Embassy.. so what are you gonna do?
    >
    >My interveiw is on the 8th of July. Getting closer and closer, and I still dont have
    >my Police Certificate and I-134!! lol. I am going to become a nervous wreck at the
    >end of this month.

Give them a call right on the 40 days.

>
    >Hope this helped some...
    >
    >
    >Take care,
    >
    >
    >
    >John

Grahame and Laura

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.