Reload this Page >

Question on I-129F (K3) timeline

Wikiposts

Question on I-129F (K3) timeline

Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jbfaust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on I-129F (K3) timeline

Ah, thanks for clarifying. We're pretty broke ourselves but at the end of the day I have to pay the same rent if I'm here alone or he's with me but not contributing. I expect he'll make more than me in the future with his Computer Science degree (I'm a social worker, so go figure). My husband's been mentioning that he has a lot of student loans in the UK and jokingly says he might not pay them back since we're never going back. Does anyone have any experience with this. Someone once told me UK student loans disappear after a certain number or years. My worries would be that they hurt your credit rating, and of course if we did go back wouldn't we be up shits creek?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miffy_m
Well interestingly, hot of the press, my I-129F application has been forwarded from the NVC to the London Embassy. It spent only a week at NVC. Haven't heard anything about the I-130. I think the I-130 spends more time to'ing and fro'ing in the NVC (a month or more?) before finally being sent to the London Embassy. Looks like I might be following the I-129F route...? May phone them next week to ask the NVC's opinion.
I was under the impresssion that if you have an I-129F in the works, NVC holds onto the I-130 and does not process it. They assume you WANT to do the K-3 visa, so they process that one.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jbfaust
My impression is that once the K-3 is all approved and he gets here, my husband could adjust his status without ever having to leave, did I miss something?
This is correct. You did not miss anything.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jbfaust
My husband's been mentioning that he has a lot of student loans in the UK and jokingly says he might not pay them back since we're never going back. Does anyone have any experience with this. Someone once told me UK student loans disappear after a certain number or years. My worries would be that they hurt your credit rating, and of course if we did go back wouldn't we be up shits creek?
Unpaid loans in the UK won't affect his US credit. He basically starts his US credit history from scratch, nothing follows him from the UK. But it might not be a good idea to leave them unpaid if you're planning to return to the UK in the future.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

miffy_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Unpaid loans in the UK won't affect his US credit. He basically starts his US credit history from scratch, nothing follows him from the UK. But it might not be a good idea to leave them unpaid if you're planning to return to the UK in the future.

Rene
I've heard the same thing too. Probably of interest:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...98/DG_10034867

Especially:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...98/DG_10034872

Though what juristriction do they have overseas?

As a warning, do keep a close eye on the Student Loans Company. I've had issues with them overcharging me on mine.

M.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

jbfaust is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the links, they clarified what to do if we go the "right" route.