Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A question for Crg14624, and anybody else...

Wikiposts

A question for Crg14624, and anybody else...

Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

eoyn2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A question for Crg14624, and anybody else...

Crg14624,

Ive seen you post many replies on this website, so you must be pretty knowledgeable. I feel like pulling my hair out with this visa business. You gave me some good advice yesterday, you said that I should just go for it. Ive pasted below my original plea for help. There is one thing though, although my conviction was not multiple and it was not aggravated felony, neither is it moral terpitude ( funny word that ), however I was 22 at the time of my arrest, so I dont think it was a juvenile offence, I was just sentenced to spend a weekend in a juvenile detention center in maryland. I have also sent for all my court records, but havent recieved them yet and my interview is supposed to be on wednesday. Do you think I should still go for it? It seems like there is a good chance I would get in, I just need to be sure. In case you dont get this, I am posting a question for you on the forum. Thanks for your time and your help.

Ian

"Hello,

to anybody who can give me some advice, I really need it. I am currently applying for a visa to visit New York in 2 months. I really need to go and see my girlfriend. Now I used to live in Baltimore 3 years ago. I studied in the States, however i got convicted for driving under the influence, a stupid mistake, but one that got my student funds pulled. I left the country on my own accord, letting my student visa run out naturally. I stood in front of the judge, told him my situation, he sentenced me to one weekend in a juvenile jail which i did. A week later I left the country. I now have a new passport, new passport number, so tech. no record of my old visa in this one. All this happened 3 years ago, I have called the District Court of Maryland and my case is long closed, no arrest warrent, and well, they had to wait 3 days to find any trace of me. Of course, my fingerprints are somewhere on record, but what I am asking, is with all this, should I bother applying for a visa, and inadvertantly opening up a can of worms, or should I just risk trying to enter the States and see if any trace of my past record comes up. I have a british passport. My appointment with the US Embassy is next week, so any help is really needed now. Thanks for your time. Ian"