Wikiposts

A question of choice

Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question of choice

Folks, i'm curious to know your thoughts on the different visas, because no matter how much i read i can't seem to figure out which is the best route for us. Two folks, both legally divorced (working on that part!) and able to marry, one in US earning good money, one in UK; the plan is to marry and live together forever in the US: which visa "should" we go for... should we marry then do the CR1? or apply for a K1 and then marry?
It sounds like the K1 may be slightly less time in the processing - are the costs similar?

Maybe its me - i just can't seem to get my head around the different factors that go into making that decision... maybe its purely a *pick one and do it* kinda thing?

M
xx
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question of choice

Originally Posted by Madelina
... should we marry then do the CR1? or apply for a K1 and then marry?
All else being equal, the CR-1 visa is better.

It sounds like the K1 may be slightly less time in the processing - are the costs similar?
Processing time is similar (although you can't start the CR-1 until after you're married), but the K-1 is much more expensive.

Ian
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You might find this thread useful

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628822
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

You might find this thread useful

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628822
Aha, so K1 is more expensive. But, its a process that can potentially be started much sooner... the work part is irrelevant to me as i'd be taking care of my boys for the first year or so, settling the into school and so on. Now to do some research on just how much more expensive it is!

Thanks, you rock
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

More K1 info here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1.

Current timelines from submission of petition in the US to issuance of visa in the UK is roughly 6-8 months. 5 months is probably achieveable with quick turnarounds and no admin problems.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 5th 2009 at 1:31 am.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

i see that the K1 costs $455 or thereabouts to file, but i can't seem to find a cost for the CR-1. I was imagining thousands of dollars, though i would think with postage, travel costs etc it gets up to nearer $1000?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't forget you then have the UK fee for the visa itself, currently $131 (plus the courier fee of about £15).

Also don't forget the medical fee - currently £190, plus any vaccinations needed. Get them done on the NHS in advance!!!

Not sure about the CR-1 fees.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 5th 2009 at 1:53 am.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:28 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, i'm curious to know your thoughts on the different visas, because no matter how much i read i can't seem to figure out which is the best route for us. Two folks, both legally divorced (working on that part!) and able to marry, one in US earning good money, one in UK; the plan is to marry and live together forever in the US: which visa "should" we go for... should we marry then do the CR1? or apply for a K1 and then marry?

Maybe its me - i just can't seem to get my head around the different factors that go into making that decision... maybe its purely a *pick one and do it* kinda thing?

M
xx
Very basically I suppose it comes down to a couple of issues:

1. Would you rather spend waiting time apart as a wife, or as a fiancee'?

2. If you go the K-1 route you will have to go through the process of becoming a permanent resident---more paperwork, perhaps another interview, more time, and more expense. If you go the CR-1 route, you enter the country as a permanent resident right away.

3. We did the K-1 route so I can't tell you first hand which is "better". Did I read correctly that you are also bringing children over? Don't forget about the costs, etc. of their applications as well.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
~SecretGarden
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

gingerkitten will become famous soon enoughgingerkitten will become famous soon enough

i see that the K1 costs $455 or thereabouts to file, but i can't seem to find a cost for the CR-1. I was imagining thousands of dollars, though i would think with postage, travel costs etc it gets up to nearer $1000?
I don't know how much the CR-1 costs, but if you're going to compare apples to apples, you need to factor in the costs of AOS when you're considering the costs of the K-1. The AOS fee plus biometrics is (had to check this 'cos it's changed since I did it) $1,010. Plus more if you have a child/children also adjusting status.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:37 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerkitten
I don't know how much the CR-1 costs, but if you're going to compare apples to apples, you need to factor in the costs of AOS when you're considering the costs of the K-1. The AOS fee plus biometrics is (had to check this 'cos it's changed since I did it) $1,010. Plus more if you have a child/children also adjusting status.
That's what I just said. Great minds think alike.

~SG
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

gingerkitten will become famous soon enoughgingerkitten will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
That's what I just said. Great minds think alike.

~SG
I should've paid attention to that "there has been another post since you started typing this" (or whatever it says!) message!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:12 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

If we had to do it all over again, we'd definitely go the CR-1 route because it's so much more advantageous than the K-1 visa: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=38

So, as has been said, "the best way" is completely subjective.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You need to see the whole picture!

From filing to becoming a PR, the CR-1 will cost $355. End result... you enter the US and become a PR the day you enter.

From filing to becoming a PR, the K-1 will cost $455 + $1010. Why the extra? Because you do *not* become a PR when you enter the US on a K-1 visa... you must subsequently file for PR status.

I have not included any other medical or police certificate costs or other sundry costs because those would be the same no matter which visa you got.

Bottom line - the CR-1 is a lot less expensive.

Ian
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Aha, so K1 is more expensive. But, its a process that can potentially be started much sooner... the work part is irrelevant to me as i'd be taking care of my boys for the first year or so, settling the into school and so on. Now to do some research on just how much more expensive it is!

Thanks, you rock

Neither one can be started immediately because one of the couple does not hold a divorce absolute.

Get the divorce final, hop a plane to the US, get married over the weekend, honeymoon someplace nice in the US, return to the UK and start the process. Inside of 8 to 10 months you return to the US with all your UK business conducted and concluded and are a Conditional Permanent Resident and don't have to deal with the USCIS until one year and 9 months later.

Or get the divorce absolute, file the I-129F and 8 to 10 months later get the K-1 visa in your passport, come to the US, get married, honeymoon someplace nice in the US, stay in the US, spend an additional $1010 to file the appropriate petitions for adjustment of status to CPR, wait up to 90 days for the right to work and for permission to travel outside of the US and still not be through with the USCIC because you will still have to remove conditions 1 year and 9 months after getting it.

Now there is your comparison. Which do you think you would like to do?

Time and money = go with the CR-1 ... save a thou

Last edited by Rete; Sep 5th 2009 at 3:43 am.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need to see the whole picture!

From filing to becoming a PR, the CR-1 will cost $355. End result... you enter the US and become a PR the day you enter.

From filing to becoming a PR, the K-1 will cost $455 + $1010. Why the extra? Because you do *not* become a PR when you enter the US on a K-1 visa... you must subsequently file for PR status.
Ian, the "CR-1" better known as an Immigrant Visa requires a petition I-130 at $355 and the IV fee at $400 (incl sec fee).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.