Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question on behalf of a friend: K1 or K3?

Wikiposts

Question on behalf of a friend: K1 or K3?

Old Dec 17th 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Question on behalf of a friend: K1 or K3?

Hi,

A friend of ours has a fiance in the UK, and they are planning to get married next year. They are 50/50 about whether to do so in the UK or US, but would potentially be swayed according to which makes the most sense given current US immigration laws.

I realise that the "K1 or K3" is a thread that has been posted a few times, but their case is slightly different in that he is in the UK as a refugee (from Angola). His UK asylum case is still pending, and he is currently obtaining his Angolan passport.

I understand (from the Shushterman page, I think) that a K3 applicant must apply to the US Consulate in the country in which they were married; would it be the case that if he were to apply as a K1, he would have to apply to the Angolan consulate - thus it would make much more sense to be married in the UK?

Additionally, would this case merit the attention of an attorney?

I'm told that they want to get the ball rolling asap, but want to make sure they go down the best available route. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

- Mark (on behalf of Estelle & Tigana)
Old Dec 17th 2003, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on behalf of a friend: K1 or K3?

Originally posted by speedyvespa
Hi,

A friend of ours has a fiance in the UK, and they are planning to get married next year. They are 50/50 about whether to do so in the UK or US, but would potentially be swayed according to which makes the most sense given current US immigration laws.

I realise that the "K1 or K3" is a thread that has been posted a few times, but their case is slightly different in that he is in the UK as a refugee (from Angola). His UK asylum case is still pending, and he is currently obtaining his Angolan passport.

I understand (from the Shushterman page, I think) that a K3 applicant must apply to the US Consulate in the country in which they were married; would it be the case that if he were to apply as a K1, he would have to apply to the Angolan consulate - thus it would make much more sense to be married in the UK?

Additionally, would this case merit the attention of an attorney?

I'm told that they want to get the ball rolling asap, but want to make sure they go down the best available route. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

- Mark (on behalf of Estelle & Tigana)

They would apply to the UNITED STATES consulate for an American Visa. Always.

General rule for immigrant or quasi-immigrant visas [like K's] apply in country of RESIDENCE. However, K-3/4 is in the country of MARRIAGE.