Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question aboyt name on Permanent Resident card after AOS

Question aboyt name on Permanent Resident card after AOS

Old Jun 16th 2002, 6:20 am
jacks

Default Question aboyt name on Permanent Resident card after AOS

I am curious about this: My wife's green card finally came, and her name on it is
listed as her maiden name "de" my last name: for example "Anna Gonzalez de Smith".
Whereas her similarly married (AOS) friend's card says only, for example, "Maria
Jones" instead of "Maria Fernandez de Jones". What's the deal? My wife's drivers
license just says "Anna Smith". Why did the INS or our lawyers have the green card
made out as "Anna Gonzalez de Smith" instead of Anna Smith?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Question aboyt name on Permanent Resident card after AOS

The applicant makes the decision when filing the paperwork. I am even more confused
about the addition of the 'de'. DO you know what names were on the I-485?

[email protected] wrote:
    >
    > I am curious about this: My wife's green card finally came, and her name on it is
    > listed as her maiden name "de" my last name: for example "Anna Gonzalez de Smith".
    > Whereas her similarly married (AOS) friend's card says only, for example, "Maria
    > Jones" instead of "Maria Fernandez de Jones". What's the deal? My wife's drivers
    > license just says "Anna Smith". Why did the INS or our lawyers have the green card
    > made out as "Anna Gonzalez de Smith" instead of Anna Smith?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 10:20 am
jacks

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:30:59 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:

>The applicant makes the decision when filing the paperwork. I am even more confused
    >about the addition of the 'de'. DO you know what names were on the I-485?

No, I do not - the attorneys filled it out. I suppose somewhere along the line
someone (the attorney?) decided that it should be this way. I remember asking someone
why it was "de" and they said, "Well, this is how the INS knows her. It doesn't
matter (that it's not just her married name, as in "Maria Jones"), they know it's
her." I hope it doesn't present any problems somewhere down the line!

Old Jun 17th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

I would try to get it corrected (though you'll probably have to pay for this). She
really wants her documentation all matching up. For instance, her passport and
greencard probably no longer match and that could cause problems travelling.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:30:59 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The applicant makes the decision when filing the paperwork. I am even more
    > >confused about the addition of the 'de'. DO you know what names were on the I-485?
    >
    > No, I do not - the attorneys filled it out. I suppose somewhere along the line
    > someone (the attorney?) decided that it should be this way. I remember asking
    > someone why it was "de" and they said, "Well, this is how the INS knows her. It
    > doesn't matter (that it's not just her married name, as in "Maria Jones"), they
    > know it's her." I hope it doesn't present any problems somewhere down the line!

Old Jun 17th 2002, 10:01 am
Richardhousehunt

in my wife's GC they inserted a D for her M.I. and then later down on the card DM for
the M.I., not sure how this D crept in there, but it matches her passport: for ex:
"Anna de Maria de Gonzalez de Smith" and the first line of the greencard reads "Anna
D Smith" then later on the card "Smith, Anna DM"

Check and see if the greencard matches your passport -- if it does I don't think you
will have problems traveling. My wife's green card doesn't exactly match her SSN
card now because of the MI but I do not think it is a problem

I don't know why the "de" got in there maybe the INS looked at her foreign documents
or maybe her name was filled in on a form before she legally changed
it.

We are not going to worry about it or have it changed. When we go for naturalization
we will get it to match the SSN though

Old Jun 17th 2002, 11:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

Not that you have the Green Card in your hand, you could apply for the change and
wait for it to go thru' the process. It is the same process you would carry our for
incorrect data or renewal. Check out some more details at:
http://www.visapro.com/US-Immigratio...Green-Card.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk