Wikiposts

Question about Visa

Old Apr 29th 2002, 1:40 am
Bonnie M

Default Question about Visa

In her post Cheryl mentioned having her 2nd NOA revalidated. In my visa it shows a
line stating: PET EXP/ REVALIDATED JUNE8, 2002 The actual visa date of expiry is Oct
16, 2002 We are going to be crossing at Detroit July 2, 2002. Can someone explain to
me if there will be a problem with the June 8th date on the visa or is this just to
show that we completed the interview prior to the 2nd NOA expiring? Thanks Bonnie

Old Apr 29th 2002, 2:40 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Question about Visa

It might be a problem if the Detroit land crossings have the same procedures as the
Detroit airport. Basically the airport says you must enter by June 8th or get the
petition revalidated. Everyone else says you can enter by Oct 16th.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Bonnie M" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In her post Cheryl mentioned having her 2nd NOA revalidated. In my visa it shows a
    > line stating: PET EXP/ REVALIDATED JUNE8, 2002 The actual visa date of expiry is
    > Oct 16, 2002 We are going to be crossing at Detroit July 2, 2002. Can someone
    > explain to me if there will be a problem with the June 8th
date
    > on the visa or is this just to show that we completed the interview prior
to
    > the 2nd NOA expiring? Thanks Bonnie

Old Apr 29th 2002, 7:40 am
Herman

It cost us a few bucks in long distance calls from the US to Montreal, so this
information did not come for free.

My fiancée just spoke to the Montreal Consulate about the
expiration/revalidation issue.

The petition expiry date has nothing to do with when you can enter the country. The
State Department said to ignore that. (EXP/REVALIDATED...)

They said that the standard expiration of the visa itself is 6 months from the date
of issue... so that matches what the INS website says.

So in other words, as long as you enter the United States PRIOR to the expiration of
the VISA, you should have no problem. With any expiration issue that is.

Hope this sets your mind at ease!?

Cheers

"Bonnie M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In her post Cheryl mentioned having her 2nd NOA revalidated. In my visa it shows a
    > line stating: PET EXP/ REVALIDATED JUNE8, 2002 The actual visa date of expiry is
date
to

Old Apr 29th 2002, 8:10 am
Andy Platt

"Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It cost us a few bucks in long distance calls from the US to Montreal, so this
    > information did not come for free.
    >
    > My fiancée just spoke to the Montreal Consulate about the
    > expiration/revalidation issue.
    >
    > The petition expiry date has nothing to do with when you can enter the country. The
    > State Department said to ignore that. (EXP/REVALIDATED...)
    >
    > They said that the standard expiration of the visa itself is 6 months from the date
    > of issue... so that matches what the INS website says.
    >
    > So in other words, as long as you enter the United States PRIOR to the expiration
    > of the VISA, you should have no problem. With any expiration issue that is.
    >
    > Hope this sets your mind at ease!?

Except that the POE at the Detroit airport does *not* see if like that. They are
saying the petion has to be valid too. Personally I think someone has their head
stuck up their backside and doesn't realize it's not like an H-1B petition where the
duration of stay is legally based on that date but if they turn people around at the
POE then there's little you can do but appease them!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 8:10 am
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

Herman wrote:
    >
    > It cost us a few bucks in long distance calls from the US to Montreal, so this
    > information did not come for free.
    >
    > My fiancée just spoke to the Montreal Consulate about the
    > expiration/revalidation issue.

A WASTE of time and money...... We KNOW the correct answer. Someone has to tell INS
in Detroit. Some idiot has been misinterpreting a law. Since a K-1 is valid for 6
months, and approval of I-129F is only valid for 4, clearly if the visa expiration
date does NOT correspond to the I-129F expiration.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:10 am
Bonnie M

Dennis sent an email to the Consulate today asking about this issue. Their reply was
the date of the visa is the only date that matters, so I printed it off and added it
to my folder with my visas so I can produce it if any kind of hassle should happen.
Thanks to everyone for your answers. Bonnie <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Herman wrote:
    > >
    > > It cost us a few bucks in long distance calls from the US to Montreal,
so
    > > this information did not come for free.
    > >
    > > My fiancée just spoke to the Montreal Consulate about the expiration/revalidation
    > > issue.
    >
    > A WASTE of time and money...... We KNOW the correct answer. Someone has to tell INS
    > in Detroit. Some idiot has been misinterpreting a law. Since a K-1 is valid for 6
    > months, and approval of I-129F is only valid for 4, clearly if the visa expiration
    > date does NOT correspond to the I-129F expiration.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 1:40 pm
Michael Voight

I don't think Detroit INS cares about the opinion of the State Department in this
matter. They have already been told they are in error.

Bonnie M wrote:
    >
    > Dennis sent an email to the Consulate today asking about this issue. Their reply
    > was the date of the visa is the only date that matters, so I printed it off and
    > added it to my folder with my visas so I can produce it if any kind of hassle
    > should happen.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 3:10 pm
Cheryl

Hi Bonnie I sent you my experience via your e-mail but will answer this question
here too. I read the information on the net about the I-797 (also known as your
second NOA) from the state department. It says that your I-797 is good for 4 months
from the date of approval on it. During this time you are expected to have your K-1
interview and K-1 visa. Sometimes this doesn't happen. It does NOT have anything to
do with when you travel. It's just a technicality that Detroit seems to be enforcing.
I did not want to take this risk so I did what the state government said to do. Ask
your US fiancé to send a notarized note to the consulate asking them to revalidate it
and that he still intends to marry you and he is free to. I had him send it to me and
I sent the consulate an e-mail ahead of time explaining that I would bring the letter
with me. This revalidated the second NOA (I-797) for another 4 months. I was afraid
that when I crossed at the POE even though I had the K-1 Visa they might send me back
because it was issued while the I-797 was expired.

Simplified: Your K-1 visa issue date should be before your I-797 expiry date (count 4
months from date of approval on your second NOA). If it isn't have it revalidated.

Hope that clarifies it Cheryl

"Bonnie M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
date
to