Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about V-1 non-immigrat visa

Question about V-1 non-immigrat visa

Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

hole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nice
Default Question about V-1 non-immigrat visa

Taken from the USCIS website;
Who is Eligible?

A person may apply at a U.S. consulate abroad for a V-1 or V-2 visa or seek V-1 or V-2 nonimmigrant status while in the United States, if:

* The person is lawfully married to a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States (V-1), or is the unmarried child (under the age of 21) of a Lawful Permanent Resident (V-2);
* The person is the principal beneficiary of a relative petition (Form I-130) that was filed by the Lawful Permanent Resident spouse/parent on or before December 21, 2000;
* The person has been waiting at least 3 years since the petition was filed for status as a Lawful Permanent Resident because the petition is still pending, or has been approved

But:
An immigrant visa is not yet available;

Or,
There is a pending application to adjust status or application for an immigrant visa.
The derivative child of a V-1 or V-2 nonimmigrant is eligible for a V-3 visa or for V-3 status.
I am slightly confused by this, can I apply for a V-1 if I have already sent in my I-130 (&stuff)? How long must I wait before I could apply for a V-1?

For those who don't remember (and I don't blame you, you seem to be a busy bunch here!) my fiancée and I are planning on getting married and then applying for a CR-1 Spouse immigrant visa jobby.

Am I giving enough information here? I only recently found out about this V-1 visa and am excited by the prospect of potentially being able to live with my wife during the wait for immigrant visa, and just want to make sure I am not twisting the words in my head to read in my favour.

Thank you kindly in advance!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about V-1 non-immigrat visa

You did not read enough

Eligibility Requirements for a V-1 Visa:

Be the spouse of a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States (Green Card holder)

The beneficiary of Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, has to be filed on or before December 21, 2000

Be waiting for at least 3 years for an immigrant visa, due to processing delays or unavailability of visas
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hole

Am I giving enough information here? I only recently found out about this V-1 visa and am excited by the prospect of potentially being able to live with my wife during the wait for immigrant visa, and just want to make sure I am not twisting the words in my head to read in my favour.

From reading the USCIS material, I conclude that if the foreign national:

is not yet married to a US citizen
did not have an I-130 filed on or before Dec. 21, 2000
has not been waiting 3 years

then the V1 visa is not available. Are the three requirements met? If the I-130 has not been filed yet, then the V1 visa will not be an option. Sorry.

Please note, I'm not a lawyer.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

hole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nicehole is just really nice

So that big Or is very badly placed and means nothing at all?

edit: or how about a K-3?

I am looking more now, I guess it was silly to stop at the first thing I misread and go hooray yay party. But do you know of any visa that would allow me to stay in the US and work for at least a few months at a time?

oi, I am going to persist though this one

edit 2: yes I think I misread that V-1 stuff a heck of a lot. my fiancée has been a US Citizen her whole life, now I stop and breath calmly the V-1 appears to be for if she was an immigrant herself. ooer, I am going to read everything eight times now. sorry about that!

Last edited by hole; Mar 15th 2008 at 4:24 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The OR is included in the But: clause only.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

On or before must convey they mean earlier to anybody
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

I see my mistake now, it's quite a big one. over eager I edited my above post
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:50 pm
Ray

I see my mistake now, it's quite a big one. over eager I edited my above post
Easy done when your keen ...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from the USCIS website;

I am slightly confused by this, can I apply for a V-1 if I have already sent in my I-130 (&stuff)? How long must I wait before I could apply for a V-1?

For those who don't remember (and I don't blame you, you seem to be a busy bunch here!) my fiancée and I are planning on getting married and then applying for a CR-1 Spouse immigrant visa jobby.

The V visa is a non-immigrant entry for the spouse of an LPR (Green card).
The equivalent visa for spouses of USCs is called K-3.

It is not much faster (if at all) than a CR-1 immigrant visa despite the text that you may read. Any research you do on the K-3 should be from 7/30/2007 forward--everything changed from then.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:21 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still stick with the CR1 since the K3 doesn't get processed much faster. That way she gets permanent residence, although conditional, upon arrival. Then the I-751 is filed 90 days before the 2 year mark after entry. The K1 and K3 both seem like a pain because she'd have to do adjustment of status, travel on parole letters, apply for work permits and all of that. The only one who likes the extra paperwork is the attorney.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
The K1 and K3 both seem like a pain because she'd have to do adjustment of status, travel on parole letters, apply for work permits and all of that.
While K-3s do have to apply to adjust status (if they do not get the option to go back home for an immigrant visa interview--an event as rare as the dodo bird nowadays) and do have to apply for a work permit, they are unique in that they do not need to travel on advance parole.
The K-3 is a 2-year, multi-entry visa.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:56 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
While K-3s do have to apply to adjust status (if they do not get the option to go back home for an immigrant visa interview--an event as rare as the dodo bird nowadays) and do have to apply for a work permit, they are unique in that they do not need to travel on advance parole.
The K-3 is a 2-year, multi-entry visa.
Yeh, the K-1 gets the parole letter, the K-3 doesnt as long as the visa doesnt expire. I stand corrected.