question about unplanned marriage in US

Wikiposts

question about unplanned marriage in US

Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

annie31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about unplanned marriage in US

Hi all,

Just a question really to clear something up.

Is it legal to come from the UK on the VWP, to visit fiance, and get married on the spur of the moment kinda thing, and then change status over there, without coming back to UK?.

Not what we are planning to do, as we are trying to get the fiance visa for him to come over to UK, its just that i have heard conflicting opinions whether it can be done or not, and just wondered if anyone on here knew if it was legal or not.

Thanks in advance
annie31
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:06 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about unplanned marriage in US

Originally Posted by annie31
Hi all,

Just a question really to clear something up.

Is it legal to come from the UK on the VWP, to visit fiance, and get married on the spur of the moment kinda thing, and then change status over there, without coming back to UK?.

Not what we are planning to do, as we are trying to get the fiance visa for him to come over to UK, its just that i have heard conflicting opinions whether it can be done or not, and just wondered if anyone on here knew if it was legal or not.

Thanks in advance
annie31
Hey there Annie:
Spur of the moment speaks for itself.. "occuring or developing without premeditation". You already have the though in your head.. so yours isn't the case.
As for the latter option I think is MUCH better, the peace of mind of doing things the "right" way feels great. There are others who took the VWP to AOS road.. that can tell you how hard it is.
I know you don't want to be separated from your beloved.. no one does but if what you suggested was legal there wouldn't be need for K1's and K3's visas..

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Sep 21st 2005 at 2:19 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annie31
Is it legal to come from the UK on the VWP, to visit fiance, and get married on the spur of the moment kinda thing, and then change status over there, without coming back to UK?
It is legal if, when you enter the US, there is *no* prior intent to stay in the US to adjust status. I usually get a lot of flack for my view on things, but I'll say it anyway... just become something is legal, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. IMHO, if you even ask the question, the intent exists. Others, however, feel differently. Go figure!

Ian
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there Annie:
Spur of the moment speaks for itself.. "occuring or developing without premeditation". You already have the though in your head.. so yours isn't the case.
As for the latter option I think is MUCH better, the peace of mind of doing things the "right" way feels great. There are others who took the VWP to AOS road.. that can tell you how hard it is.
I know you don't want to be separated from your beloved.. no one does but if what you suggested was legal there wouldn't be need for K1's and K3's visas..
Hi:

I'm amazed at how often the "10-foot pole" guestions get asked. I don't know why I keep harping on it -- not that I would advise violation of the law [I'm not allowed to do it in any case], but such violations DO create business for immigration lawyers. Guess I'm a little too alturistic.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm amazed at how often the "10-foot pole" guestions get asked. I don't know why I keep harping on it -- not that I would advise violation of the law [I'm not allowed to do it in any case], but such violations DO create business for immigration lawyers. Guess I'm a little too alturistic.
Perhaps because the US Gov allows the option?, would make much more sense to either do away with it or get rid of the intent issue.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Also, if you try to adjust from the VWP, you waive your right to appeal if your application is denied.
Something I wasn't aware of when I did it!

CF
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ControlFreak
Also, if you try to adjust from the VWP, you waive your right to appeal if your application is denied.

CF
True.

But how many times is this an issue?
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

CF
Hi:

Pedantic Stuart comments: there is NEVER an appeal from denial of an adjustment by USCIS. However, there IS a right [sometimes] to "renew" the application before the immigration judge, if and when, you are placed in proceedings. Since several people had won in litigation that they were therefore ENTITLED to a removal proceedings pursuant to the regulation, the regulation was amended to clarify that right of renewal is NOT the same as entitlement to a proceeding.

That said, there MAY be rights of review in "Article III" courts -- but that is a gray area of the law.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:21 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It is legal if, when you enter the US, there is *no* prior intent to stay in the US to adjust status. I usually get a lot of flack for my view on things, but I'll say it anyway... just become something is legal, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. IMHO, if you even ask the question, the intent exists. Others, however, feel differently. Go figure!

Ian
Where is Manc when we need him??
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
True! I know that Manc and I differ fundamentally on this issue and that is understandable, but he has great passion and that is truly a rare quality!

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
In "American" he's pissing off the natives over in the USA forum, by the looks of things.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
In "American" he's pissing off the natives over in the USA forum, by the looks of things.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown...............
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
True.

But how many times is this an issue?
I try not to tempt fate.
With the way my luck's been going, I'll be the one that gets denied!

CF
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

I try not to tempt fate.
With the way my luck's been going, I'll be the one that gets denied!

CF
Tempt fate?

Live in Texas?

A bit of a non sequitae?

Life is full of chance, everybody is entitled to their own view of there particular exposure.

I did not, would not have fitted my circumstances, but the risk factor looks on the level of a round trip across the Atlantic.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Stina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really nice

It is a "ten-foot-pole" issue, but yes, it can be done - with a few caveats.

There must be no intention of remaining in the US when you enter on the VWP, so a marriage of this type does have to be unplanned and spur of the moment. The minute you think about entering on the VWP with the intention of changing status, you're doing bad, naughty things.

There are a few of us dotted around who have done or are doing it, but it's by far and away safer to do what you're doing and get the K visa.