Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A question about SSN...

Wikiposts

A question about SSN...

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice
Default A question about SSN...

Hi I've recently arrived in the US on a K1 visa and am a little confused about applying for a social security card...on some of the threads on here it says you can apply after 10days of arrival by completing the form and going into a SS office however online it says you must have proof of work authorisation....I dont have this yet as Im yet to file for AOS or does this not matter? Will they know what Im on about if I go in the office with my K1 visa?! Also if I do get it before I file for EAD ect. then when I apply for jobs will it matter that they dont have my married name?!

COnfused
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about SSN...

Originally Posted by LBJR07
Hi I've recently arrived in the US on a K1 visa and am a little confused about applying for a social security card...on some of the threads on here it says you can apply after 10days of arrival by completing the form and going into a SS office however online it says you must have proof of work authorisation....I dont have this yet as Im yet to file for AOS or does this not matter? Will they know what Im on about if I go in the office with my K1 visa?! Also if I do get it before I file for EAD ect. then when I apply for jobs will it matter that they dont have my married name?!

COnfused
All you need is the SS application, your passport with the K-1 visa inside, and the unexpired I-94. K-1's are eligible to apply for work authorization, so SS is fine with just seeing your K-1 visa.

Go in about 10 days after your arrival so your name will be in the SS system when they pull up the data for verification. Do not wait too long...if you wait until 2 weeks before your I-94 will expire, you'll then need to wait until you have your green card in hand to apply for the SSN.

It's OK to get your SS card in your maiden name, in fact I would say your SS must be issued in whatever name your passport and K-1 were issued in, so it will all match.

Later, when you apply for AOS, you can apply in your married name (your EAD, AP, and green card will all be issued in your married name). Then once you get your GC, you'll want to update your SS card to one without the "work legend" on it anyway, so your new one will be issued in your married name.

You can apply for jobs in whatever name you wish. Your EAD will be issued in your married name if you indicate that on the I-765.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Ah ok thats made things alot clearer alls making sense now! Thanks for the reply
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBJR07
however online it says you must have proof of work authorisation....
Your K-1 status (I-94) is proof of permission to apply for employment authorization, so you are eligible to apply for a SSN during the validity of your K-1 admission. However, SSA will not issue when you are within 14 days of your status expiring, so you want to apply before day 76.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Do not wait too long...if you wait until 2 weeks before your I-94 will expire, you'll then need to wait until you have your green card in hand to apply for the SSN.
Hmm... something here doesn't sound quite right! You meant "... wait until you have your EAD in hand..." right?

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hmm... something here doesn't sound quite right! You meant "... wait until you have your EAD in hand..." right?

Ian
Oops....right!