Reload this Page >

Question about sponsorship and financial stuff

Question about sponsorship and financial stuff

Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

khabibiuf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about sponsorship and financial stuff

Hi All,

My in-laws (m-in law, b-in law, and sister-in law) have recently immigrated to the United States on family visas. They received their green-cards recently. We filled out an affidavit of support for them showing that we can support them here.

I had a few questions regarding this:

1. Can my wife and I claim them as dependents on the upcoming tax year? We are providing more than 50% financial support for them while they are living here.

2. My brother in law is currently working a part-time job and is going to college as well. Can he applied for financial aid? Based on solely his income he would be elligible for financial aid (grants) at the community college he attends if he files his own tax return. If I list him as a dependent it is very unlikely he will receive any financial aid. I believe that on the affidavit of spuport it says that the immigrants should not become a liability etc...and are not eligible for certain government aid... but would this prohibit him from applying for financial aid.

Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about sponsorship and financial stuff

Originally Posted by khabibiuf
Hi All,

My in-laws (m-in law, b-in law, and sister-in law) have recently immigrated to the United States on family visas. They received their green-cards recently. We filled out an affidavit of support for them showing that we can support them here.

I had a few questions regarding this:

1. Can my wife and I claim them as dependents on the upcoming tax year? We are providing more than 50% financial support for them while they are living here.

2. My brother in law is currently working a part-time job and is going to college as well. Can he applied for financial aid? Based on solely his income he would be elligible for financial aid (grants) at the community college he attends if he files his own tax return. If I list him as a dependent it is very unlikely he will receive any financial aid. I believe that on the affidavit of spuport it says that the immigrants should not become a liability etc...and are not eligible for certain government aid... but would this prohibit him from applying for financial aid.

Thanks for the info.
Hi,

I believe your questions are more IRS based than immigration based. Try calling the IRS 800 number or checking their website for information. You'll have to see what IRS rules are about claiming dependants.

As for his school financial aid, that's not a means-tested benefit, so if he qualifies for it, he can get it, and it doesn't affect the Affidavit of Support you signed.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

khabibiuf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi,

I believe your questions are more IRS based than immigration based. Try calling the IRS 800 number or checking their website for information. You'll have to see what IRS rules are about claiming dependants.

As for his school financial aid, that's not a means-tested benefit, so if he qualifies for it, he can get it, and it doesn't affect the Affidavit of Support you signed.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks for the info.

What is defined as "means tested benefit" ?
what else falls under this category?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khabibiuf
Thanks for the info.

What is defined as "means tested benefit" ?
what else falls under this category?
Taken from: http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...affsupport.htm

"To date, federal agencies have announced the following four programs as means-tested public benefits: Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF.)"

Be sure to read the whole memo for further information.

Best Wishes,
Rene