Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about moving during the 2 yr cond. GC?

Wikiposts

Question about moving during the 2 yr cond. GC?

Old May 1st 2002, 12:40 am
Dave

Default Question about moving during the 2 yr cond. GC?

What's the general concensus on moving during the 2 years under the Conditional
status? Specifically, I just received my conditional GC status from Baltimore/VSC. My
wife and I are thinking of moving back out to the west coast northern Cali area (San
Jose vicinity). What's the process in terms of notification to the INS and which
office, the local or district, do I notify. Do I need to notify the transfer office?
What's the likelihood of files being lost during transit and its impact or delays on
when I do need to remove my condition? Is it better to move earlier than closer to
the 2 year renewal time?

We're trying to weigh these things and consider waiting it out for 3 years
vs. moving. Any past stories from anyone, Rete, Andy,..et. al.?

Thanks, -dave.

Old May 1st 2002, 1:10 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Question about moving during the 2 yr cond. GC?

Once you are a permanent resident you file the AR-11 form with Washington. No need to
do anything else until you need to remove conditions - at which point you just file
with the *new* service center as per the I-751 instructions.

However, somebody who has recently done this is having problems with CSC who say they
can't process the I-751 because the AOS wasn't done there. I'm not sure what the
state of that problem is right now - I suggested they contact their representative's
immigration liasion office because CSC are plain wrong about that.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the general concensus on moving during the 2 years under the Conditional
    > status? Specifically, I just received my conditional GC
status
    > from Baltimore/VSC. My wife and I are thinking of moving back out to the west coast
    > northern Cali area (San Jose vicinity). What's the process in terms of notification
    > to the INS and which office, the local or district,
do
    > I notify. Do I need to notify the transfer office? What's the likelihood of files
    > being lost during transit and its impact or delays on when I do need to remove my
    > condition? Is it better to move earlier than closer to the 2 year renewal time?
    >
    > We're trying to weigh these things and consider waiting it out for 3 years
    > vs. moving. Any past stories from anyone, Rete, Andy,..et. al.?
    >
    >
    > Thanks, -dave.

Old May 1st 2002, 1:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I will add to that the sponsor of your I-864 (assuming your lovely wife is the one) must also file a change of address separate from yours. Also note that the INS law is being enforced (so they say) that you must notify INS of a change of address within a certain length of time (and I don't remember the timeline) and that notification must be by a traceable form of mail, i.e. certified, return receipt requested. Too often those things get lost and that is your only proof of having complied with the law.

Once you file for the I-751 with the CSC, they will request your file from storage and proceed with your removal. It is my understanding that after completion of the AOS all files are stored in caves to be looked after by the Lord of Rings and his followers. They need someway to pay the rent after the movie residuals die out. :-)

Rete
Old May 1st 2002, 6:40 am
Maria

I have a question about the change of address. I filed with my husband (USC) the
I-751 petition in December (with NSC). Well, in January he decided he didn't want
to be married anymore and he moved out. The relation was very tensed for a month
or so, but we have decided (he agreed) not to start a divorce, and just let time
go by and see what happens, maybe we can reconcile... We've been on friendly terms
since, we went out together to various social events, we talk daily, but we still
don't live together. Recently, he agreed to look into the marriage couseling
possibility. I don't want to push or rush him into getting back together. We take
it one day at a time.

It is my understanding that I would have to file again under a waiver if a divorce
occurs before the I-751 is processed. That doesn't seem to be the case as of now.
Maybe we'll get back together, who knows? My only concern is related to his change of
address (not the family address anymore). I asked left and right and I was told that
we should just wait and see what INS comes up with (it takes about 6 months to
process these petitions), but I'm wondering if we were to be asked to go to an
interview (my husband will come along), are they going to raise some issue regarding
the fact my husband lives at a different address and not at the address on the
petition? We don't want to lie, but we also don't want to contact INS unnecessarily.
Maybe the petition will be approved without an interview.

Also, has anybody else on this discussion group in this situation of being separated
after filing jointly the I-751? Thank you so much for any advise!

> I will add to that the sponsor of your I-864 (assuming your lovely wife is the one)
    > must also file a change of address separate from yours. Also note that the INS law
    > is being enforced (so they say) that you must notify INS of a change of address
    > within a certain length of time (and I don't remember the timeline) and that
    > notification must be by a traceable form of mail, i.e. certified, return receipt
    > requested. Too often those things get lost and that is your only proof of having
    > complied with the law.

Old May 1st 2002, 7:10 am
Shelley

Well you can only hope you don't get called for an interview. If you do, and you and
your husband are still married, and he attends the interview with you, perhaps
showing that you are in marriage counseling will be a good thing, IMO is shows that
you are still a truly married couple. Best of luck to you with your marriage and the
INS. Take Care. Shelley

"Maria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question about the change of address. I filed with my husband (USC) the
    > I-751 petition in December (with NSC). Well, in January he decided he didn't want
    > to be married anymore and he moved out. The relation was very tensed for a month
    > or so, but we have decided (he agreed) not to start a divorce, and just let time
    > go by and see what happens, maybe we can reconcile... We've been on friendly terms
    > since, we went out together to various social events, we talk daily, but we still
    > don't live together. Recently, he agreed to look into the marriage couseling
    > possibility. I don't want to push or rush him into getting back together. We take
    > it one day at a time.
    >
    > It is my understanding that I would have to file again under a waiver if a divorce
    > occurs before the I-751 is processed. That doesn't seem to be the case as of now.
    > Maybe we'll get back together, who knows? My only concern is related to his change
    > of address (not the family address anymore). I asked left and right and I was told
    > that we should just wait and see what INS comes up with (it takes about 6 months to
    > process these petitions), but I'm wondering if we were to be asked to go to an
    > interview (my husband will come along), are they going to raise some issue
    > regarding the fact my husband lives at a different address and not at the address
    > on the petition? We don't want to lie, but we also don't want to contact INS
    > unnecessarily. Maybe the petition will be approved without an interview.
    >
    > Also, has anybody else on this discussion group in this situation of being
    > separated after filing jointly the I-751? Thank you so much for any advise!
    >
    > > I will add to that the sponsor of your I-864 (assuming your lovely wife is the
    > > one) must also file a change of address separate from yours. Also note that the
    > > INS law is being enforced (so they say) that you must notify INS of a change of
    > > address within a certain length of time (and I don't remember the timeline) and
    > > that notification must be by a traceable form of mail, i.e. certified, return
    > > receipt requested. Too often those things get lost and that is your only proof of
    > > having complied with the law.

Old May 1st 2002, 10:40 am
Maria

Thanks, Shelley! Well, I forgot to mention that we have loads of evidence that we
entered marriage in good faith, and that we lived together. Last fall my mom visited
us for 6 weeks, and the three of us took a one week vacation (we have photos). We
also went to my home country 2 years ago and we have lots of photos with family, plus
the plane tickets etc. I think an interview should not worry us in that we can show
evidence of true marriage. At the time we filed I-751 we were living as husband and
wife, but not lately unfortunately. I feel like besides concentrating on the
reconciliation possibility (it's such a roller-coaster), a lot of energy and stress
goes into the INS thing, and that is unfortunate. The fact is we're still married,
and maybe on the road to reconciliation. But who knows? Anyway what can the INS do?
Have us divorce or something? They also can't force us to get back together, if our
relationship isn't going to work. Well, if there will be an interview scheduled, we
will probably hire a lawyer to make sure we cover all basis. Otherwise, since we know
we were truthful when we got married and then during the 2+ years afterwards, I hope
I shouldn't have nightmares about this petition. I was only wondering about my
husband's address change. But I was told that what matters is that the info given at
the time we filed the petition was accurate... Thanks again and please feel free to
give me feedback because the stress levels are high for most of us, I know.

"Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ews.com>...
    > Well you can only hope you don't get called for an interview. If you do, and you
    > and your husband are still married, and he attends the interview with you, perhaps
    > showing that you are in marriage counseling will be a good thing, IMO is shows that
    > you are still a truly married couple. Best of luck to you with your marriage and
    > the INS. Take Care. Shelley

Old May 1st 2002, 3:10 pm
Mrs_blackross

Dave!!! you're leaving me??

you can't move out to CA until we get that raincheck on the celebratory dinner from
April 2. Besides, if you stick around here, we can compare notes again at
condition-removing time.

personally, I wouldn't trust INS to move my file in an efficient manner with all the
horror stories we see on this board with people's files/applications getting lost in
the shuffle. wait it out if you can.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the general concensus on moving during the 2 years under the Conditional
    > status? Specifically, I just received my conditional GC
status
    > from Baltimore/VSC. My wife and I are thinking of moving back out to the west coast
    > northern Cali area (San Jose vicinity). What's the process in terms of notification
    > to the INS and which office, the local or district,
do
    > I notify. Do I need to notify the transfer office? What's the likelihood of files
    > being lost during transit and its impact or delays on when I do need to remove my
    > condition? Is it better to move earlier than closer to the 2 year renewal time?
    >
    > We're trying to weigh these things and consider waiting it out for 3 years
    > vs. moving. Any past stories from anyone, Rete, Andy,..et. al.?
    >
    >
    > Thanks, -dave.

Old May 2nd 2002, 6:40 am
Ruireb

Dave,

I think it is better you stay where you are. Wait until you remove your conditions,
and get the plastic card on the mail. VSC takes just a few months. I moved to
California being a conditional resident. Big mistake. They told me that they can
not process my I-751 because they do not have the paper AOS file. Silly? it is.
Take care Mona

Old May 2nd 2002, 8:40 am
Dave

"Ruireb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    >
    > I think it is better you stay where you are. Wait until you remove your conditions,
    > and get the plastic card on the mail. VSC takes just a few
months.
    > I moved to California being a conditional resident. Big mistake. They
told me
    > that they can not process my I-751 because they do not have the paper AOS
file.
    > Silly? it is. Take care Mona

What part of Cali did you move to? Since you were filing your i-751 I'm assuming you
had to file it with the CSC right? How close were you to your conditional expiring
when you filed? I'm thinking that Vermont will be much faster than CSC, but who know
where the INS will be two years from now.

-dave.