Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about marrying a US citizen & income

Question about marrying a US citizen & income

Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about marrying a US citizen & income

Originally Posted by mattataka
And as long as the US citizens meets those requirements, I can live permanently in the US with a CR-1 visa whilst I await my green card?

Thanks for all your help by the way, just trying to wrap my head around things.
Not really. Once you activate the CR-1 visa at the US Port of Entry, the visa is invalid and means nothing. Your passport will be stamped with an I-551 which is the paper version of the green card and will be valid for one year while you wait for the USCIS to mail the actual green card to you at your US address.

Also as you are married, your assets become the USC's assets as well and can be used to help them meet the financial obligation to fulfill the I-864 affidavit of support. Your employment is worthless in that regard but your assets can be helpful.

There is much to wrap you head around and you have only touched on one-quarter of it.

I'm asking this to be transferred to the proper immigration forum, which is the US marriage-based visa forum. You might like to read some of the posts there.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:42 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Hah yeah that would be quite the spanner in the works, however I think we'd discuss long-term 'wants' early on
Good. I'm sure that once he/she realizes it's the passport you're in love with, not the person, he/she can get out quickly before getting too involved. So it's definitely a good idea to make it clear very early on that a ticket to the USA is your priority. Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Good. I'm sure that once he/she realizes it's the passport you're in love with, not the person, he/she can get out quickly before getting too involved. So it's definitely a good idea to make it clear very early on that a ticket to the USA is your priority. Good luck.
Yeah, "Hi, I'm Mattataka, and I would like to marry you so I can get a green card", is certain to get things off on the right note.

Such topics are likely to come up in conversation fairly early, especially if guided by Mattataka, and therefore there is no need to be blunt. I don't believe it is normal to provide a list of "demands" on any first date, and visa/immigration is no different from politics, religion, or preference for family/children, etc. - all these things should come out naturally as a relationship develops.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

mattataka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
There's nothing wrong with looking for a partner that aligns with what you want too. I'm not going to enter into a relationship with someone that wants to live in France when I want to live in America, nor would I marry someone I wasn't in love with for entry to the US. It's called being realistic and therefore searching accordingly for someone that aligns with what you want.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, "Hi, I'm Mattataka, and I would like to marry you so I can get a green card", is certain to get things off on the right note.

Such topics are likely to come up in conversation fairly early, especially if guided by Mattataka, and therefore there is no need to be blunt. I don't believe it is normal to provide a list of "demands" on any first date, and visa/immigration is no different from politics, religion, or preference for family/children, etc. - all these things should come out naturally as a relationship develops.
Again, does it not make sense to want to meet an American woman if my goal is to live in America, rather than someone who doesn't want to live there? Don't see how that would be considered using a person, I'm just being realistic.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would argue that it is probably a better idea to find another way, for example gaining a degree (if you do not already) and moving into a field that might get you transferred. While I don't believe it's a 'bad thing' to take the route you are suggesting, it might be a good idea to get that little chestnut out of the way early on.

Trust me, your prospective partner will have to put up with plenty 'mail order bride' gags. Especially if she ends up being from a more rural area of the 50.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Not really. Once you activate the CR-1 visa at the US Port of Entry, the visa is invalid and means nothing. Your passport will be stamped with an I-551 which is the paper version of the green card and will be valid for one year while you wait for the USCIS to mail the actual green card to you at your US address.

Also as you are married, your assets become the USC's assets as well and can be used to help them meet the financial obligation to fulfill the I-864 affidavit of support. Your employment is worthless in that regard but your assets can be helpful.

There is much to wrap you head around and you have only touched on one-quarter of it.

I'm asking this to be transferred to the proper immigration forum, which is the US marriage-based visa forum. You might like to read some of the posts there.
Gotcha. I will take a look at the posts there, thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with looking for a partner that aligns with what you want too. I'm not going to enter into a relationship with someone that wants to live in France when I want to live in America, nor would I marry someone I wasn't in love with for entry to the US. It's called being realistic and therefore searching accordingly for someone that aligns with what you want.
I agree, and thought exactly like you before I got married. There was no bad intent, and no deceit involved when I met the then-future Mrs P.

In reality there is little practical difference between seeking out potential life partners who live in Yorkshire and ones who live in another country.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

I agree, and thought exactly like you before I got married. There was no bad intent, and no deceit involved when I met the then-future Mrs P.

In reality there is little practical difference between seeking out potential life partners who live in Yorkshire and ones who live in another country.
Not sure what the last part meant but to me it just seems logical that I would want to find a partner that is a US citizen and wants to live there.

Thank you for all your help on the subject it is much appreciated.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should start working towards that CS degree. You could potentially set yourself up for a few different visa avenues.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
I would argue that it is probably a better idea to find another way, for example gaining a degree (if you do not already) and moving into a field that might get you transferred. While I don't believe it's a 'bad thing' to take the route you are suggesting, it might be a good idea to get that little chestnut out of the way early on.
I agree that gaining a degree would be wise and I probably will end up doing that.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Poor lady ... if she only knew that her main attractive is her ability to sponsor you for a green card. As the song says: "What's Love Got To Do With It"
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Poor lady ... if she only knew that her main attractive is her ability to sponsor you for a green card. As the song says: "What's Love Got To Do With It"
As someone has has been down that path, you are waaay off base!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:55 pm
Concierge

As is often the case, I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Unless you are implying that I was married because of my ability to sponsor a foreigner to the US.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying that it wasn't purely chance that you fell for a US citizen, you were hoping that might happen and thus facilitate your move?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.