Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about i-864 form

Question about i-864 form

Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road
Default Question about i-864 form

Hi just have a question, hoping for some advice really.

My sister in law has sent the affidavit of support as the joint sponsor in support of my husbands visa application. It arrived on Monday but is missing some pieces of information.

Firstly she has put down her joint annual income of hers and my brothers not just hers for the most recent tax year (2016) and has left the two subsequent boxes empty (for 2015 and 2014).

What should I do?

Amend it myself by crossing out the first amount and putting the correct amount and then adding the additional information ?

Do I just reprint the whole thing and fill it out myself and sign it on her behalf because it will have a crossing out?

There isn't enough time for her to reprint the form, complete it and send it and it was already a huge hassle and took ages to get it.

How strict are they with the affidavit of support?

Any advice will be appreciated thanks ☺️
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about i-864 form

I don't think you yourself should amend anything on the I-864 she signed. It's a legally binding document that she signed as is.

You could call her and get the correct figures from her, write it on a separate sheet, and show it to the officer at the interview. Don't know if that will work, but worth a try since you don't have much time.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think you yourself should amend anything on the I-864 she signed. It's a legally binding document that she signed as is.

You could call her and get the correct figures from her, write it on a separate sheet, and show it to the officer at the interview. Don't know if that will work, but worth a try since you don't have much time.

Rene

What do you think might happen if I left it as it is?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Embrta
What do you think might happen if I left it as it is?

Thanks for your reply.
The officer will review it. If she accepts it, you'll be fine. If she doesn't, she'll give you time to provide any missing information that she wants. Your visa approval will be on hold until you provide the information and it gets reviewed.

Rene.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The officer will review it. If she accepts it, you'll be fine. If she doesn't, she'll give you time to provide any missing information that she wants. Your visa approval will be on hold until you provide the information and it gets reviewed.

Rene.
Thank you. ☺️
That is helpful
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:52 pm

You're welcome.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:18 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Question about i-864 form

Hi Embrta, we very recently (August) went through this process and had similar questions, so my responses are based on what we did.

Firstly she has put down her joint annual income of hers and my brothers not just hers for the most recent tax year (2016) and has left the two subsequent boxes empty (for 2015 and 2014).
If you're referring to Part 6-19.a, 6-19.b & 6-19.c, I believe this is correct as it specifically requests the adjusted gross income reported on the tax returns.
I'm assuming your sister-in-law and brother jointly file taxes, so even though the adjusted gross income on the tax return is for both parties, this is still the value to provide (this is what we did in the same scenario).

However, worth mentioning - we did provide the full three years and not just one.

The only area that you need to split the income (we did) is Part 6-2, 6-5, 6-8, 6-11 & 6-14 where asks for individual annual income.

Amend it myself by crossing out the first amount and putting the correct amount and then adding the additional information ?

Do I just reprint the whole thing and fill it out myself and sign it on her behalf because it will have a crossing out?
I think this is a bad idea.

There isn't enough time for her to reprint the form, complete it and send it and it was already a huge hassle and took ages to get it.
Why? In case you weren't aware, rules on requiring ink signatures for the I-864 were changed at the end of last year, so it would be acceptable for her to complete the form, scan, and email over. There's no need to mail the hard copy, if this is indeed what you see as causing a delay.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you I did not know.