Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question about the i-485

Wikiposts

question about the i-485

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default question about the i-485

theres a question asking whether i have ever been arrested or charged with anything. the answer is yes, but i was a minor and supposedly (in canada, where i'm from, where the arrest took place -- it was just stupid 14 yr old theft of like a chocoalte bar) under the young offenders act, all records are destroyed of being a minor once you turn 18.. im guessing i still have to write that it happened though?

also, being that i was down here as a visitor i guess (when i crossed the border, they asked what i was doing -- i said goingn to visit my boyfriend,.. they said ok have fun and stamped my passport and that was it), what do i put for my "current ins status" and when it expires?

someone help please!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about the i-485

Originally posted by andrea874
theres a question asking whether i have ever been arrested or charged with anything. the answer is yes, but i was a minor and supposedly (in canada, where i'm from, where the arrest took place -- it was just stupid 14 yr old theft of like a chocoalte bar) under the young offenders act, all records are destroyed of being a minor once you turn 18.. im guessing i still have to write that it happened though?

also, being that i was down here as a visitor i guess (when i crossed the border, they asked what i was doing -- i said goingn to visit my boyfriend,.. they said ok have fun and stamped my passport and that was it), what do i put for my "current ins status" and when it expires?

someone help please!
anyone?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

anyone?

does no one seriously have any idea about the answers to these questions, or are they totally self explanitory and im just missign something here?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll bite. Perhaps there's been no prior response as this is beyond the scope of experience for folks here. No matter... I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth.

Yes, you must indicate that you have been arrested. You will need to attach a paper explaining what happened, whether you were jailed, and how the court finally disposed of the case. Indicating the ramifications of Canada's YOA would probably help because my understanding of it is the same as yours - once you become an adult, the record is expunged. If you ultimately decide to become a US citizen, you will need to get hold of any court records and attach them to your application - but that's a few years down the road so no need to worry about that just now.

Indicate that you were inspected (the officer did ask you questions), and that you entered as a visitor. You are not now a visitor as, I assume, you are married to a US citizen.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Ian

someone help please!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Okay, I'll bite. Perhaps there's been no prior response as this is beyond the scope of experience for folks here. No matter... I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth.

Yes, you must indicate that you have been arrested. You will need to attach a paper explaining what happened, whether you were jailed, and how the court finally disposed of the case. Indicating the ramifications of Canada's YOA would probably help because my understanding of it is the same as yours - once you become an adult, the record is expunged. If you ultimately decide to become a US citizen, you will need to get hold of any court records and attach them to your application - but that's a few years down the road so no need to worry about that just now.

Indicate that you were inspected (the officer did ask you questions), and that you entered as a visitor. You are not now a visitor as, I assume, you are married to a US citizen.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Ian
thank you sir. VERY much appreciated.