Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about I-130 Form?

Wikiposts

Question about I-130 Form?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:38 am
Just Joined

angelinaj will become famous soon enoughangelinaj will become famous soon enough
Default Question about I-130 Form?

This is my first time on this forum. I hope maybe someone out there might be able to answer some of my questions? I'm at a standstill with a few of the questions on the I-130 Form. I'm an American citizen and moved here 2 years ago in Jan. 2005. My husband is English and we have been married 2 years this April. We are planning on moving to the USA as soon as we are approved with all this paper work. The question on the form that I'm not sure about is the following. The question: My citizenship was acquired through (check one)
Birth in the USA or Naturalization. Give certificate number and date and place of issuance. I was born at an Airforce Base here in England, to American parents. We went back to the USA when I was about 2 years old. I'm not sure how to tick this question on the form? Is there anyone out there that can help me with this question. I really want to get this form completed and be done with this part of it. The paper work is overwelming sometimes. It seems more so filling out the papers here . Hope to here from someone.
Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about I-130 Form?

A US overseas military base is usually considered to be US soil ..for most other situations...but cannot confirm for your situation ..
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:18 am
Finalizer

"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
|

|
| A US overseas military base is usually considered to be US soil ..for
| most other situations...but cannot confirm for your situation ..
|
| --
|

Under US immigration law, US military bases abroad are NOT considered US
territories or US soil!

Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelinaj
This is my first time on this forum. I hope maybe someone out there might be able to answer some of my questions? I'm at a standstill with a few of the questions on the I-130 Form. I'm an American citizen and moved here 2 years ago in Jan. 2005. My husband is English and we have been married 2 years this April. We are planning on moving to the USA as soon as we are approved with all this paper work. The question on the form that I'm not sure about is the following. The question: My citizenship was acquired through (check one)
Birth in the USA or Naturalization. Give certificate number and date and place of issuance. I was born at an Airforce Base here in England, to American parents. We went back to the USA when I was about 2 years old. I'm not sure how to tick this question on the form? Is there anyone out there that can help me with this question. I really want to get this form completed and be done with this part of it. The paper work is overwelming sometimes. It seems more so filling out the papers here . Hope to here from someone.
Thanks
You are NOT a naturalized citizen. You are a born American Citizen. That is what you check. In fact, I lay you odds that your birth was registered with the US Consulate abroad and you get your birth certificate from the Department of State as I do.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finalizer
"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
|

|
| A US overseas military base is usually considered to be US soil ..for
| most other situations...but cannot confirm for your situation ..
|
| --
|

Under US immigration law, US military bases abroad are NOT considered US
territories or US soil!
She was born of US parents in a foreign country. Regardless of the military hospital, she is still a US citizen.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:30 pm
David L. Beem

"Finalizer",
> Under US immigration law, US military bases abroad
> are NOT considered US territories or US soil!
Unless it's a commissioned ship (I wonder what would happen if a
foreign national gave birth on the USNS Mercy/Comfort). There are other
exclusions too. What about the former Panama Canal Zone?
David
[email protected]

Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:50 am
Just Joined

angelinaj will become famous soon enoughangelinaj will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Question about I-130 Form?

Hello, Thanks for the replies to my question. I still don't know if I should leave this question on the I-130 blank or send an explanation sheet with the form? The question still remains. Should I tick My citizenship was acquired through, (birth in the USA) I was born here in England at an American Airforce Base Hospital. Clearly we know, I wasnt born in the USA. Should I explain this on the form? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Angelinaj
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:00 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Thanks for the replies to my question. I still don't know if I should leave this question on the I-130 blank or send an explanation sheet with the form? The question still remains. Should I tick My citizenship was acquired through, (birth in the USA) I was born here in England at an American Airforce Base Hospital. Clearly we know, I wasnt born in the USA. Should I explain this on the form? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Angelinaj

Your original post did not list all the citizenship options on the I-130 application. They are:

[ ] Birth in the US
[ ] Naturalization. Give certificate number and date and place of issuance.
[X] Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name?
[ ] Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance.
[ ] No.

You would select "Parents" and then "Yes" OR "No," whichever is applicable to you.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Your original post did not list all the citizenship options on the I-130 application. They are:

[ ] Birth in the US
[ ] Naturalization. Give certificate number and date and place of issuance.
[X] Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name?
[ ] Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance.
[ ] No.

You would select "Parents" and then "Yes" OR "No," whichever is applicable to you.

~ Jenney
Jenney, are you sure that option isn't for children who became USC's when their parents naturalized? Sounds like that to me....but I don't know for sure.

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:21 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Jenney, are you sure that option isn't for children who became USC's when their parents naturalized? Sounds like that to me....but I don't know for sure.

Rene
The N-600 application for a Certification of Citizenship says:

Who Should Use This Form?
You may use this form if you claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while residing in the United States or by having been born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

*snip*

If you are the biological child of a U.S. citizen, you were born outside the United States and you are claiming citizenship by having been born to U.S. citizen parent(s), you automatically become a U.S. citizen at birth if:
You were born to two U.S. citizen parents and at least one of your parents had a residence in the United States or one if its outlying possessions. This residence had to have taken place prior to your birth; or

You were born to parents, one of whom is an alien and the other a U.S. citizen who, prior to your birth, had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after the age of 14 years.

NOTE: To determine if you were born a U.S. citizen, USCIS must look at the law that was in effect at the time of your birth. The current law was enacted on November 14, 1986 and was last amended on February 27, 2001. If you were born before November 14, 1986, and believe you may be a U.S. citizen, you should contact USCIS by calling our National Customer Service Center 1-800-375-5283 or visiting our internet website at http://www.uscis.gov.

To me, this sounds like it applies to anyone who was born outside the US to two American parents. If the OP was born before November 14, 1986 and both of her parents are native-born Americans, then there should be no problem here.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Hello, I called the National Customer Service Center in the USA to find out how I should fill out the question I've been looking for. The lady said to tick Born in the USA. Since my parents are both American citizens. I'm going to send this I-130 form tomarrow in the post. Hope all info. is right? I don't know why I fill so overwelmed filling out these forms. I thought all the paper work I filled out for me to get to the UK was crazy, But this is something else? I know this is the first steps but oh my God, Have mercey! I think I heard this in a ZZ Top song long ago! i JUST WANT EVERYTHING TO GO SMOOTH. I'm alittle bit disappointed with all this 2nd degree stuff. Never Mind, they say here in the UK. Thanks for everyones responses to my questions. angelinaj
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:30 am
I'm back!

Hello, I called the National Customer Service Center in the USA to find out how I should fill out the question I've been looking for. The lady said to tick Born in the USA. Since my parents are both American citizens. I'm going to send this I-130 form tomarrow in the post. Hope all info. is right? I don't know why I fill so overwelmed filling out these forms. I thought all the paper work I filled out for me to get to the UK was crazy, But this is something else? I know this is the first steps but oh my God, Have mercey! I think I heard this in a ZZ Top song long ago! i JUST WANT EVERYTHING TO GO SMOOTH. I'm alittle bit disappointed with all this 2nd degree stuff. Never Mind, they say here in the UK. Thanks for everyones responses to my questions. angelinaj
If I were in your shoes, I would ONLY tick "Born in the USA" if I ALSO included an explanation as to why you're doing that. DO NOT take the I-800-Misinformation line's word for it. Because technically, you were NOT born in the US -- you were born in England.

Personally I think the option I mentioned earlier (citizenship through your parents, "no" to the "Do you have a certificate of citizenship?" question) is the "most correct," particularly if you have a US passport. But, that's me.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Personally I think the option I mentioned earlier (citizenship through your parents, "no" to the "Do you have a certificate of citizenship?" question) is the "most correct," particularly if you have a US passport. But, that's me.

~ Jenney
Not just you... that's me as well. I also think it doesn't really matter which one she ticks, because IMO they both need some kind of explanation.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

I had the same dilemma - in the end I decided to tick "Born in the USA" but included an explanation letter with my forms...
Sent in the form last week, so we will wait and see.