Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about decree and typos

Wikiposts

Question about decree and typos

Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Linababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant future
Default Question about decree and typos

I have read in some posts that the UK decree absolute is causing
problems when filing for the K1 visa - I dug mine up from the hord of paperwork and I noticed that they have spelt my middle name wrong. I dont really use my middle name on my documents or passport and at the time of recieving my decree i wasnt that bothered - does anyone think this may be a problem for when we file our petition? Should I contact the court house to get them to send me an amended version - I was divorced 6 years ago?

Also I dont have an original of my Birth certificate as I was born in
Uganda East Africa and there is no way of getting another copy - all i have is copy with my firstname spelt wrong too lol Since I have been a child my name has been spelt correctly not as on the birth certificate. Does anyone know if these may cause problems? and at the moment I am also using my married name should i revert back to my maiden name and change my passport and bank details accordingly or will this not matter till I am married to my bf and take his name?

Lina (UK Citizen)
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:03 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question about decree and typos

Originally posted by Linababe
problems when filing for the K1 visa...

Should I contact the court house to get them to send me an amended version - I was divorced 6 years ago?

...at the moment I am also using my married name should i revert back to my maiden name and change my passport and bank details accordingly or will this not matter till I am married to my bf and take his name?
Hi Lina,

I had no problems whatsoever with my decree absolute, (I did the K1 visa and had my interview at the London Embassy). It couldn't hurt to get in touch with the court that your divorce was filed at and see if it is possible to get an amended version of your absolute. There's no harm in trying.

I also used, (and am still using) my married name on all my paperwork up until my marriage to my fiance, (on Friday). Only then will I go about changing my name on all official documents. This makes sense to me as it will involve less hassle all round, (and hopefully a lot less confusion too)!

Sorry I'm unable to help you any more than that.

Best wishes and good luck with your process.

Take care

Tam
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about decree and typos

Originally posted by Linababe
problems when filing for the K1 visa - I dug mine up from the hord of paperwork and I noticed that they have spelt my middle name wrong. I dont really use my middle name on my documents or passport and at the time of recieving my decree i wasnt that bothered - does anyone think this may be a problem for when we file our petition? Should I contact the court house to get them to send me an amended version - I was divorced 6 years ago?

Also I dont have an original of my Birth certificate as I was born in
Uganda East Africa and there is no way of getting another copy - all i have is copy with my firstname spelt wrong too lol Since I have been a child my name has been spelt correctly not as on the birth certificate. Does anyone know if these may cause problems? and at the moment I am also using my married name should i revert back to my maiden name and change my passport and bank details accordingly or will this not matter till I am married to my bf and take his name?

Lina (UK Citizen)
Hi:

The "also known as" box on the forms will alleviate those problems.

However, I once encountered the typo from hell on a Canadian decree absolute -- in the custody determination the word "defendant" was typed when "plaintiff" should have been. The effect was that father was given full custody with rights of visitation and obligation of support -- when it was intended that Mom have custody. During the child's minority, no one noticed the error -- Mom had custody, Dad visited and paid support.

Mom and son later immigrated and Mom naturalized which should have given son derivative naturalizaton.

Well, when son was an adult, he got busted on a drug charge and our defense was that he was a US citizen and that typo came back to haunt us in a big way. Fortunately, a congressional amendment on the derviative naturalization statute saved the day before we really had to duke it out.