Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about the affidavit of support I-864...

Question about the affidavit of support I-864...

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all
Default Question about the affidavit of support I-864...

Hi all...

I might be showing my ignorance here but I'm starting to second guess myself... My US wife is the petitioner for my Visa... we both live here (in the UK) but will both move at the same time...

Up to now, I was under the impression that my wife filled in the form (I-864) and collated all the "evidence" such as US driving license, US bank statements, letters from parents explaining they will put us up when we arrive etc (in order to prove that we intend to stay over there). I was then to take it all with me to the interview at the embassy where it would be scrutinised and hopefully approved.

Is this correct?

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I have to send the form in somewhere along with the evidence to get prior approval before taking it allo to the interview...

Hope you clever so and so's can help clear this up!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about the affidavit of support I-864...

Originally Posted by robnewman

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I have to send the form in somewhere along with the evidence to get prior approval before taking it allo to the interview...

Hope you clever so and so's can help clear this up!
Where did you get confused?

Your I-130 went in to London, not the US, correct? You are doing what is usually called "DCF"?

If so, the I-864 goes to the interview as you describe.

I've got a feeling you've been reading other people's posts, and they filed a different process than you have.
I'm also moving this to the marriage based visa group, where your questions should go for more answers.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In your case, the I-864 goes to the interview with you, along with all the tax returns, evidence, and backup info.

You've most likely been reading about how the I-130 process goes if you file it in the USA, which is not what you're doing.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

Many thanks...

yes, we are going through the embassy in London...

I was quite sure we had to take the info and the forms to the interview but while my wife was filling in the form the instruction sheet got her confused... and hence I started second guessing the whole process...

Good to know that we are still doing things ok!

Tell you what... this forum is a lifeline...

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, are you using the instructions on the Embassy/London's website? They have a pretty good checklist and instructions for local filings.

Under Immigrant Visas, navigate to spouse, then to 'what happens to an approved petition' on the right hand side.