Wikiposts

Question

Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Kevinsolis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question

My uk girlfriend and I want to get married in the Us but she does not plan on staying here. Do we have to go through the whole k1 visa process or can she just come over and we can get married.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question

You are allowed to get married in the USA while she is visiting on the VWP. No K-1 visa needed if she's not planning to remain permanently in the USA after marriage.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:20 am
Just Joined

How sure are you? This is huge. Where can I find this information just in case?
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

100% sure. It happens all the time. It's not in writing anywhere that I know of. The thing with US laws is...if you don't see anything in writing saying you CAN'T do it...then you can.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Will the marriage be legitimate? Like if we plan to immigrate somewhere our marriage certificate will be good? I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, this is just a massive step for us I want to know everything
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:41 am

Yes, the marriage will be legal and recognized in Ireland / UK.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevinsolis
How sure are you?
100%. It's a very common scenario.

Where can I find this information just in case?
You won't find it in writing. As Rene notes, US law codifies what you can't do - so, unless there is a specific law against something, it's allowed. There is no law that prohibits marrying while on the VWP.

Will the marriage be legitimate?
Yes.

Like if we plan to immigrate somewhere our marriage certificate will be good?
Yes.

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How sure are you? This is huge. Where can I find this information just in case?
I'm 100% certain - it is exactly what I did: visited on VWP, married, then returned to the UK.
Will the marriage be legitimate? ....
Yes, mine is.
.... Like if we plan to immigrate somewhere our marriage certificate will be good?.....
So long as a marriage performed in the US is recognized, your US marriage certificate will be accepted. I do not know of anywhere that does not recognize US marriages. I know for a fact that the UK does, and I would be shocked if anywhere in Europe or the industrialized world wouldn't accept a US marriage certificate. Some countries that are non-English speaking might require a translation.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 4th 2015 at 3:07 am.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Thank you! It's a huge weight off my mind
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Colorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond repute

I also married whilst on a VWP visit to my now-husband and returned to the UK three days later. The marriage is absolutely legal. The only U.S. marriages that are not recognised on the UK are proxy marriages. Some states still perform proxy marriages (usually only for military personnel who have been deployed but they have been done for prisoners too in the past). I did sit next to a woman on a plane once who married a prisoner by proxy in the U.S. He stayed in his cell and she went to the courthouse with a stand-in. Her marriage wasn't recognised in the UK and she had to change her name by deed poll to have his last name (which she could have done without marrying him) because the marriage certificate wasn't recognised in the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

As already explained, you and your girlfriend can get married in the U.S.

What do *you* intend to do once you are married?
I don't think that you actually mentioned either your own nationality or where you currently live.

If your wife returns to the UK and you want to go with her then *you* are going to need a visa unless you already hold a passport that would allow you to reside in the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 5:02 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

As an important point.... when she enters the US on her visa waiver, she should not lie to the port of entry official, however, if she is stopped and questioned and/or her luggage searched and there is a wedding dress or other indication of pending nuptials she may be denied entry. The common advice on here is only answer the question asked at the POE. for example, when asked do you know what time it is, there are only 2 answers.... yes or no - use the same principle at entry.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
As an important point.... when she enters the US on her visa waiver, she should not lie to the port of entry official, however, if she is stopped and questioned and/or her luggage searched and there is a wedding dress or other indication of pending nuptials she may be denied entry. .....
Statistically, being denied entry appears to be rare, but she should bring the best evidence she can muster that she is returning to the UK to show in the event that she is challenged about her intentions to stay/ leave the US. The best evidence is usually (here on BE) thought to be a letter from her employer that she is expected back at work on x date, supporting that, a current mortgage statement or rent lease.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
As already explained, you and your girlfriend can get married in the U.S.

What do *you* intend to do once you are married?
I don't think that you actually mentioned either your own nationality or where you currently live.

If your wife returns to the UK and you want to go with her then *you* are going to need a visa unless you already hold a passport that would allow you to reside in the UK.
I( the US citizen who lives in NY) and my girlfriend ( who lives in the UK) are planning to move to Ireland a while after we are married and I have that sorted already
Old Oct 5th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I( the US citizen who lives in NY) and my girlfriend ( who lives in the UK) are planning to move to Ireland a while after we are married and I have that sorted already
Then you should be fine.

Just make sure that you know what the requirements are for getting a marriage license wherever it is that you plan to get married.

In some places (not just Las Vegas) you can get the license and get married on the same day - some other places require you to get the license several days in advance. Also, if either of you has been previously married and are now divorced some places will want to see divorce papers while others will be quite happy with you just asserting that there are no legal impediments to your getting married.