Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Proxy marriage- is it an option?

Proxy marriage- is it an option?

Old Mar 8th 2021, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proxy marriage- is it an option?

Yes, she is using her own abbreviation for a spousal visa or as officially called here the CR-1/IR-1 visa.

I guess she is hoping that by using the proxy marriage, she would be allowed into the US to visit with her USC husband since she is a spouse. In reality, since paperwork has not been filed, it is more than possible that she will not be allowed into the US at the POE because she is married to a USC and might not have enough proof that she would be leaving the US to return to the UK after her visit.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 8th 2021 at 3:46 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Sghilaire2990000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Marriage Based Visa

I have not seen one take 11 months for a very long time, they were over a year pre Covid, maybe nearer 2 years now due to backlog.

On the plus side you are probably looking at a IR 1 and no need to remove conditions.

ahhh that’s interesting... in recent timelines on other sites, I’ve seen people documenting 11-17 months. Ok possible bonuses if it does take longer nonetheless.

Sorry- MBV (marriage based visa).

I guess the sooner we file the better in that case....
Old Mar 8th 2021, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in unusual times, seems Consulates have not resumed normal operations and there is a big backlog.

Any time line is a guess but agree sooner you start the better.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Sghilaire2990000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, she is using her own abbreviation for a spousal visa or as officially called here the CR-1/IR-1 visa.

I guess she is hoping that by using the proxy marriage, she would be allowed into the US to visit with her USC husband since she is a spouse. In reality, since paperwork has not been filed, it is more than possible that she will not be allowed into the US at the POE because she is married to a USC and might not have enough proof that she would be leaving the US to return to the UK after her visit.

What I am hoping, is to enter the US so I can fulfil the duties we have with regard to our wedding, I also have other things we have to do from a religious aspect.

In short, my aim was to marry my fiancé then visit him in America, to complete some of the wedding stuff, then go back home to England. I would be able to provide evidence of my intention to return home i.e I have a job to return to, family commitments and my apartment. if I needed to carry evidence to prove I was going to be going back to London after the trip, that wouldn't be an issue.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

eyedontknow is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth, and in case this is helpful to anyone else, I just wanted to add to this as it's what I did, we got married over Zoom in Feb 2021, I was in the UK and my (now) husband was at his apartment in Texas, and the judge was in his home in Texas. All in different locations. I called the registry office in Austin and phoned a couple of judges and it was all arranged within a matter of hours. The wedding lasted all of 10 minutes. My husband picked up the marriage certificate and mailed it to me in the UK. A few months later, when travel restrictions eased, I travelled to US. At this point, the Presidential Proclamation was still in force, allowing entry to US only for family members of US citizens) and I was allowed in with no problems when I presented the marriage certificate at the border (I should add this was the USCIS border in Dublin, Ireland). I was asked only for my husbands identification documents, and proof of my return ticket.
We filed the I-130 in May 2021, received confirmation that it was received in July, and as of October it is being "actively reviewed".