Proof of relationship

Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of relationship

Hmmm well all I did was include a copy of the message history which gives screen name, date and length of the voice chat , or just date for instant messaging. I know not all service providers will have that, but they really don't need to see the detail of the conversations. I also included things like copy of mobile bills (where they could see our text messages) and of course a copy of the receipt for my engagement bling.

I've done the K1 process myself and as you say, if you managed the australian one, with the help from folks here, I'm sure you'll be able to get through the K1 given you don't seem to have any ole skeletons etc.

Good luck with it!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Hmmm well all I did was include a copy of the message history which gives screen name, date and length of the voice chat , or just date for instant messaging. I know not all service providers will have that, but they really don't need to see the detail of the conversations. I also included things like copy of mobile bills (where they could see our text messages) and of course a copy of the receipt for my engagement bling.

I've done the K1 process myself and as you say, if you managed the australian one, with the help from folks here, I'm sure you'll be able to get through the K1 given you don't seem to have any ole skeletons etc.

Good luck with it!
Just a query on the chat logs, what if we are using alias names are the still admissable to them?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Just a query on the chat logs, what if we are using alias names are the still admissable to them?
For a K-1 visa, you are required *only* to demonstrate that you have met in person at least once during the previous two years. Despite what you've read, you are *not* required to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. Is it a good idea? Yes, definitely... but it isn't required. US immigration isn't interested in every conversation you've had, nor any conversation at all for that matter. They want proof that you've met in person... and chat logs, emails, phone logs, etc. do *not* demonstrate that you've met in person.

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:18 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I met online, with our i-29f we included pictures of us together, a copy of 2 flight itineraries showing me going to the UK, a letter from the doctor stating when I got pregnant and when I was due which fell in line with my last visit. We didnt include phone bills or internet messages, but indicated in the letter that we used mostly free online services that allowed us to talk and video chat.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:11 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I also met online but did not include any emails or online chats or phone bills. We included some pictures of us together in Scotland and NYC and some e tickets of a few trips back and forth for our K1 and we each wrote letters of how we met and why we want to get married. That was about it. We met three times before we applied for our K1 and got engaged after our second meeting.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

I am intrigued as to what information they will want to know with all these forms they send out after the i129.

It's sounding like the relationship is secondary to me.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy

Hmmm well mine was in my old married name, which I haven't changed on Yahoo, but haven't used in real life for 10 years. I think that for M. when I saved his contact details on my friends list then I did eventually put his real name there and his screen name as his nickname or alias or something like that so the actual log did give his proper name. I expect they are used to people being identified as tartytoes, sillysister, thepoet and other such silly screen names!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blargins
I am intrigued as to what information they will want to know with all these forms they send out after the i129.

Certainly I understand why you could get that impression, and I think in some cases it might be true. With us they were definitely more interested in the finance/support and legal documents but they did ask about the relationship and I bet if there hadn't been what they thought was sufficient evidence they'd have unpicked it a lot more. So it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation I think. You need to provide evidence and in doing so they don't need to ask a lot. Provide insufficient evidence and they get suspicious and go in to details!?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Not I-129... that's a totally different form for a totally different scenario.

All the I-129F does, is establish that a USC has met a non-USC and that they are eligible and free to marry. That's it. That's all it does.

Everything after the I-129F deals with the non-USC's eligibility to apply for and receive the K-1 visa. As part of that eligibility, the non-USC is required to demonstrate that they don't have a criminal history or medical history that will prevent them from getting a visa, and that they have a sponsor who is willing to assume financial responsibility for them (or that they have sufficient assets to overcome that themselves).

This, in a nutshell, is Ian's "K-1 Minimalist Guide" (tm).

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not I-129... that's a totally different form for a totally different scenario.

All the I-129F does, is establish that a USC has met a non-USC and that they are eligible and free to marry. That's it. That's all it does.

Everything after the I-129F deals with the non-USC's eligibility to apply for and receive the K-1 visa. As part of that eligibility, the non-USC is required to demonstrate that they don't have a criminal history or medical history that will prevent them from getting a visa, and that they have a sponsor who is willing to assume financial responsibility for them (or that they have sufficient assets to overcome that themselves).

This, in a nutshell, is Ian's "K-1 Minimalist Guide" (tm).

Ian
Thanks Ian.

The financial responsibility bit, can we both put in afidavidts for finance? I think she's going to be pretty close to the threshold and I will have probably $30k to come over with plus the sale of my house to come through later, (probably another $100k).
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian.

The financial responsibility bit, can we both put in afidavidts for finance? I think she's going to be pretty close to the threshold and I will have probably $30k to come over with plus the sale of my house to come through later, (probably another $100k).
blargins,

You will need to read up on the two different Affidavits of Support, if you are considering a K-1 visa. Both forms and instructions can be found at www.uscis.gov, under "Forms"

I-134: This is the affidavit of support used in the K-1 visa process. If the USC does not meet the required minimum (which is not listed, but which I-864P is a *rough* guide, she can get some other USC or US PR to fill out the I-134. You yourself cannot fill out the I-134. However, London allows a K-1 applicant to "self-sponsor", if they have enough cash. Whether $30K is enough, only the ConOff can make that determination...it's not in writing anywhere.

I-864: This is the affidavit of support the USC will need to fill out after you arrive in the USA, marry, and want to file AOS. She MUST be the sponsor on this form, meaning she must fill one out whether she qualifies or not. If she doesn't, she can get either a joint sponsor or a household member to help out. You won't be working yet, most likely, so you won't have any income to contribute as a household member. But your cash can be used as an asset, to be combined with her income, if the overall picture puts her over the minimum needed. Assets must equal 3x the amount you would have needed in income.

The I-864P is the minimum poverty level guide. She'll be looking at the 125% columm for her household size.

Read over everything, and then come on back with any questions.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:27 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Throughout the entire process we never included chat logs, emails, or phone records.

Once you get your K1 and are in the US to apply for AOS, is when you have to basically show you are legit.

My husband and I included with our AOS, joint documents ( any account we were together with bank, mortgage, car insurance, envelopes addressed to us at our home ) my older sons adoption papers and new birth certificates listing my UKC hubby as their father, brought photos ( but she didnt look at them ).

For the K1, the letter each of you write, about 10 photos, and when you go for your interview any envelopes your USC may have sent to you....youll be good to go.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that again Rene. I think if she doesn't qualify (which she barely does based on that guide), her mother has her own attourney's business, and her father is a millionaire, so hopefully one or the other would be willing to sponsor me.

It looks like we'll be ok once married and I can combine my assets with hers and her income.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

In a way, it is. The Consular Officer makes determinations based on a lot of specific, cultural information. A Western couple, from similar economic circumstances, who share a primary language.. well, the CO will let you work out the relationship details. Her job is to make sure the immigrant is not applying solely for the immigration benefit (IE outside of the relationship).

Also, the K-1 has a kill switch built into it. If you don't marry in the first 90 days in the US, you can not adjust status as a K-1 & you have no other way to stay in the US.
(for completion's sake, there is a method for a K-1 couple who marry past the 90 days to adjust status, but it's not related TO the K-1)

The relationship is everything, and nothing. Part of the package.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

My husband (USC) and I (UKC) had many conversations thanks to the wonders of skype and IM's, however we did not provide any of these with the K-1 Application. As it says you need to prove you have met within the last two years, and state that you intend to marry.

We wrote a letter stating that we did intend plan to get married once/if I was approved, provided boarding passes and copied of tickets from things we did/attended together and some photos of us together, especially some from baseball games and what not that have dates and stuff in the background!

It may seem like the relationship is secondary, and then at times it feels like youre under intense scruitiny, but if you have a little faith, a lot of patience, and plenty of common sense its a relatively simple process. I still feel guilty for all the tress I have killed filling in all the paperwork and what not, but its worth it to be with my husband. Just remember that throughout the whole process so long as you and your partner have a genuine relationship and love for each other you should have no problem!

Also, using this forum is a massive help!. Has been to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.