Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Procuring fiance visa for my Russian girlfriend of two+ years. : What's the most efficeient way pres

Wikiposts

Procuring fiance visa for my Russian girlfriend of two+ years. : What's the most efficeient way pres

Old Dec 8th 2001, 11:23 am
Michael

I've been developing an online, on phone relationship with a Russian lady for over
two years but have not yet traveled to meet her there. I have a substantial amount of
letters, emails and phone records that support a legitimate and welll explored
relationship. We would like now to proceed with giving marriage a chance. Over a year
ago I researched the K-1 process and was made aware that a visit by me to her country
first was the only way. Is there anyother way now? Expecially having an established
relationship? Also, has the War on Terrorism slowed the visa process or made it
particularly harder, in particular for Americans seeking Russian wives? Any help on
these inquiries would be appreciated.

Old Dec 8th 2001, 11:37 am
Alvena Ferreira

Michael wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The quickest route is still the fiance visa, and you still have to go meet her first,
before you can petition for her to get this visa. The only immediate effects of the
war on terrorism seem to be that the petitions do not get to the consulates as fast,
due to their having some problems with anthrax-tainted mail, and they have been
closed for a few days here and there due to terrorism threats and the like. Other
than that, things seem to be going ok. What is keeping you from going to see this
woman? It seems to me that you would be eager to meet her face-to-face....one should
not make decisions regarding marrige until you actually meet the other person. Some
of us look better at a distance, and in my experience, the greater the distance, the
better we look. <grin> Better see if she looks that good up close, my friend. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Dec 9th 2001, 8:18 am
Ben Johnson

Michael,

A trip to Russia, (or some third country where visas for both of you are not an
issue, such as Jamacia) can not be avoided. The rules for a K-1 are VERY clear on
this. The primary reason K-1s that are rejected...are rejected.. are not having met.

Ben

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 11th 2001, 11:18 am
Michael Voight

Paul wrote:
    >
    >
    >

I agree with the hospitality part. My mother-in-law is arriving tomorrow from
Novosirsk for 4 weeks. My wife said she is bringing presents for some of my wife's
friends. My wife did not ask her to bring these things. When I have visited Russia, I
have been well treated and gifts are always exchanged. My Russian hosts far out give
anyone I have ever met.

I, of course, agree with him going to Russia before getting married. Meet her, her
friends, and her family. Pay attention to her culture. There are many bad things
about living in Russia, but don't for a minute think she won't miss her homeland.

Michael

Old Dec 11th 2001, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

mothergoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Go visit her in Russia. You will have the time of your life and a vacation you will never forget. Once they meet you, Russian's are some of the warmest people in the world. Go!!! You will not regret it. The fiancee visa is the fastest (even though it will take about 6 to 8 months).