Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

probably not an issue... but opinions please?

Wikiposts

probably not an issue... but opinions please?

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all
Default probably not an issue... but opinions please?

Hi all...

I have my IR-1 interview tomorrow morning at 8:00 (so I expect I'll be seen at about 10:00!)... I have all my paperwork as requested, I even have a ton more to act as "evidence" for various things (my wife's intent to remain, proof of accomodation etc).

I have a question though about my Affidavits of support...

My wife (as the primary sponsor) has obviously filled one in, on which it states her current income and our assets (our house value less the outstanding mortgage balance).

We also have a joint sponsor to be safe who more than meets the criteria.

Here's my questions:

1. Considering we both currently live in the UK, when we move to the US we will not have jobs. We do intend to remedy this within the first couple of weeks, but is this taken into consideration by the embassy at the interview?

2. When my wife filled in her affidavit, she used the house value as it was at the time... since then it's gone down. Should we fill in another one now to reflect this drop in assets (interview is tomorrow) and give a more current snapshot?

3. We also have loans over here in the UK which we intend to pay as normal when in the US. Where should I declare this or should I even bother (the largest loan is "in association" with my mortgage... it's an unsecured loan that we took as part of the mortgage... as we didn't have a deposit at the time... the remaining secured portion of the mortgage however is well below the current value so we believe it is still usable as assets).

We've already been in touch with our loan providers and they are happy to have us pay from the US... So all we need now really is some final last minute advice so I don't fall foul of any pitfalls at the interview tomorrow!

Taa in advance...

And does anybody want to buy a house in Aylesbury?!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: probably not an issue... but opinions please?

Hi Rob,

1. This is common for those doing DCF, and the embassy understands you won't have jobs to go to right away. It shouldn't be an issue.

2. No, just leave it as is. The information on it is correct at the time she signed it. How long ago was that, anyway? I still wouldn't bother correcting it.

3. You do not have to declare any outstanding loans.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Rob,

1. This is common for those doing DCF, and the embassy understands you won't have jobs to go to right away. It shouldn't be an issue.

2. No, just leave it as is. The information on it is correct at the time she signed it. How long ago was that, anyway? I still wouldn't bother correcting it.

3. You do not have to declare any outstanding loans.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Good to know... Regarding how long ago it was, I think it was two months ago that it was signed.

We'll leave it as it is then... Taa!

Getting a bit nervous now... I know it'll all be over before I know it... And I'm sure it's all going to go fine... But those damn butterflies are taking over now!

Looking forward to my 3am wake up tomorrow too... NOT!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robnewman
Good to know... Regarding how long ago it was, I think it was two months ago that it was signed.

We'll leave it as it is then... Taa!

Getting a bit nervous now... I know it'll all be over before I know it... And I'm sure it's all going to go fine... But those damn butterflies are taking over now!

Looking forward to my 3am wake up tomorrow too... NOT!
Two months, I'd leave it alone. If it was closer to a year, I might say change it.

I think you're good to go!

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great time, Rob.. it will be sorta fun!
How many times does the average guy get to visit a big Embassy?

You'll be great; get back here and give us a good report!
(you remembered to get your pre-paid Badger card, right?)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have a great time, Rob.. it will be sorta fun!
How many times does the average guy get to visit a big Embassy?

You'll be great; get back here and give us a good report!
(you remembered to get your pre-paid Badger card, right?)
Yeah... oddly looking forward to it... in fact the last time I felt this jittery and excitable was my wedding!

But what exactly is this pre-paid Badger card?!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robnewman
But what exactly is this pre-paid Badger card?!
A gotcha.

Have a great interview, Rob.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
A gotcha.

Have a great interview, Rob.
Why I ought'a.... Grrrrrrr....
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rob

Once again our paths are similar.

I got a cursory house "appraisal" letter from my estate agent in February (and it is dated as such). It's a standard letter with gaps in it for them to fill in the blanks, so it's written like:

Dear Mr <blank space>

After an inspection of your property it is my opinion that your house would currently be able to attract offers in the range of £ <blank space>.

<More standard letter drivel>

Sincerely
<Name of valuer>
<Name of Estate Agent>

This is of course on letter-headed paper. They write in the blanks with pen.

You DO have something in writing from someone authorised to value houses, to indicate the potential value of your house, don't you? Your own research isn't good enough. They want something on paper. If not, you may need your joint-sponsor paperwork.

The above letter and a recent mortgage statement was enough to satisfy them, in fact I just presented the above two documents and wasn't even asked about the financial side of fulfilling the requirements of the I-864 at all.

You sound like you've got it all covered one way or the other though, anyway. You have more options than I did to satisfy the requirement, and I was approved. In your situation, I wouldn't worry.

I wasn't even asked for my wife's passport (obviously we only submitted a copy with the I-130) at the interview, which I figured was the least they'd ask me for.

***Don't forget to check the weather forecast and dress appropriately for that long queue outside!***

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Jun 23rd 2008 at 7:33 am.