privacy

Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice
Default privacy

I recently discovered I have cancer and to top it all today an email came from the embassy in Japan today to inform me that my petition expires today and that my fiancé has to send a letter explaining the delay in order to get an extension.
I want to undergo treatment in Japan before proceeding with the petition but don't want to discuss my health with embassy officials.

Is it really necessary to explain my illness to the embassy?

Should I cancel the petition and wait to I have recovered?

Just looking for some opinions. I am trying not to get depressed.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: privacy

Originally Posted by Ichigo-chan
I doubt you need to discuss it directly with the embassy, but if you are asked about it on any questionnaire at your medical exam, you need to be honest. Having cancer should not prevent you from obtaining a K-1 visa.

If your USC fiancee is required to inform the embassy of WHY the case is being delayed, then I think your medical issues should be disclosed, as it's the honest reason for the delay. She could probably say something vague such as "due to personal circumstances", or "due to medical reasons", but I don't know how much detail the embassy needs to see. Normally I'd say an explanation isn't even necessary, but it seems like Japan is asking for a reason.

Only if you don't mind starting all over when the time comes. Personally I'd just write the explanation and wait it out.

Just looking for some opinions. I am trying not to get depressed.
I'm really sorry to hear the news. Hang in there.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's necessary to explain why the visa application is not being pursued. If that requires explaining your illness, then yes you must explain your illness.
Up to you.
Good luck to you, best wishes for a full recovery.

Regards, JEff
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I doubt you need to discuss it directly with the embassy, but if you are asked about it on any questionnaire at your medical exam, you need to be honest. Having cancer should not prevent you from obtaining a K-1 visa.

If your USC fiancee is required to inform the embassy of WHY the case is being delayed, then I think your medical issues should be disclosed, as it's the honest reason for the delay. She could probably say something vague such as "due to personal circumstances", or "due to medical reasons", but I don't know how much detail the embassy needs to see. Normally I'd say an explanation isn't even necessary, but it seems like Japan is asking for a reason.

Only if you don't mind starting all over when the time comes. Personally I'd just write the explanation and wait it out.

I'm really sorry to hear the news. Hang in there.

Rene
Thanks Noorah.

I am just a bit paranoid as I was warned by my insurance company that it would be difficult to seek further insurance in the future due to my illness.

Won't the US regard me as a liability?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
It's necessary to explain why the visa application is not being pursued. If that requires explaining your illness, then yes you must explain your illness.

Up to you.

Good luck to you, best wishes for a full recovery.

Regards, JEff
Thank you Jeff.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Noorah.

I am just a bit paranoid as I was warned by my insurance company that it would be difficult to seek further insurance in the future due to my illness.

That's what the I-134 Affidavit of Support form is for (which your USC fiancee will provide). To show that you won't become a public charge in the USA. How you deal with future insurance issues is not a visa or embassy concern. Cancer is not a medical issue that will prevent you from getting a K-1 visa.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What does this have to do with explaining to the consular section in Japan why you are holding off on the K-1 visa application?
From the CDC Technical Instructions For Panel physicians:
The purpose of the visa medical examination is to determine whether the alien has 1) a physical or mental disorder (including a communicable disease of public health significance or drug abuse/addiction) that renders him or her ineligible for a visa (Class A condition); or 2) a physical or mental disorder that, although not constituting a specific excludable condition, represents a departure from normal health or well-being that is significant enough to possibly interfere with the person's ability to care for himself or herself, or to attend school or work, or that may require extensive medical treatment or institutionalization in the future (Class B condition).

In contrast with what Rene opined, it seems to me that you might have a Class B condition, which might make you medically inadmissable at the present time. But even if you do not reveal it to the consular section now, it will eventually be revealed to them at whatever point in the future you proceed with your visa application.
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 12th 2013 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I do have to agree with JEff's summarization of the regulations. That is why when someone with a mental disorder, i.e. depression, etc. is asked to get a doctor's note from their regular doctor stating that the applicant can function normally as long as they follow the course of treatment prescribed them.

I'm sorry to learn of your diagnosis. There was a lovely lady here whose American fiancee had cancer just the reverse of your situation. He pulled through and they are now expecting a child. I hope the same for you and your fiancee for your future life together.

If your cancer is non-evasive, then the chances that you can fully recover with surgery and/or chemo or radiation are quite good. All the best to you.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 12th 2013 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add my good wishes.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:24 pm

JEff and Rete,

Thanks for clarifying that the OP's illness could hinder his K-1 visa. I wasn't aware of that.

So perhaps the best course of action is to just put things on hold for a while? If treatment is fast, perhaps the I-129F can still be used, and if treatment is slow, then start over with a new I-129F when the time comes?

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:32 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

It should also be noted that getting health insurance to cover any treatment once in the U.S may or may not be problematic and without insurance coverage any treatment in U.S might be extremely expensive
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
It should also be noted that getting health insurance to cover any treatment once in the U.S may or may not be problematic and without insurance coverage any treatment in U.S might be extremely expensive
This is one of the things Obamacare is supposed to address - insurance companies will no longer be allowed to refuse coverage due to existing conditions. That comes in from 1/1/2014 I believe. I'm unclear whether or not they will be allowed to charge higher premiums in such cases though - if they can they could easily be unaffordable.

I'd certainly suggest that OP and his/her fiance(e) look very carefully into how they will get medical insurance cover for OP once he/she does enter the US. I would not want to be a cancer patient, even in full remission, in the US without being sure of my cover.

My best wishes too to the OP and hoping for a speedy and full recovery!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys.
I was panicking last night . I have a great doctor in charge of my case. One day at a time.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
This is one of the things Obamacare is supposed to address - insurance companies will no longer be allowed to refuse coverage due to existing conditions. That comes in from 1/1/2014 I believe. I'm unclear whether or not they will be allowed to charge higher premiums in such cases though - if they can they could easily be unaffordable.
I'd certainly suggest that OP and his/her fiance(e) look very carefully into how they will get medical insurance cover for OP once he/she does enter the US. I would not want to be a cancer patient, even in full remission, in the US without being sure of my cover.

My best wishes too to the OP and hoping for a speedy and full recovery!
Under the healthcare reform act, insurance companies have to accept everyone (no matter of pre-existing conditions) at the price quoted for that age group. That is one of the main features along with government subsidies for low to moderate income families. Insurance companies can offer the platinum, gold, silver, or bronze plan and can offer any one or all of the plans. However if they offer one plan such as the silver plan, all people of that age group pay the same price for the silver plan.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 13th 2013 at 7:17 am.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:22 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Under the healthcare reform act, insurance companies have to accept everyone (no matter of pre-existing conditions) at the price quoted for that age group. That is one of the main features along with government subsidies for low to moderate income families. Insurance companies can offer the platinum, gold, silver, or bronze plan and can offer any one or all of the plans. However if they offer one plan such as the silver plan, all people of that age group pay the same price for the silver plan.
Until the republicans repeal obamacare which I have heard is something some have sworn to do....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.